Patrik Laine Part IV: More Hats, Less Sunglasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Patrik Laine is 4th in all-time adjusted PPG for 18-year olds and 1st in goals per game.

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
19. Dallas

w5W1W8E.gif

20. Dallas

R2ucoeu.gif

I just spent two minutes looking at these gifs over and over. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That slow mo gif of assist #2 shows he totally intended to soft pass it to a spot. Last night I thought the defender might have knocked it off his stick but not so fast......great instincts to strip the puck turn his back to the incoming D pressure to shield the puck and finess it with draw weight into the danger zone.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That slow mo gif of assist #2 shows he totally intended to soft pass it to a spot. Last night I thought the defender might have knocked it off his stick but not so fast......great instincts to strip the puck turn his back to the incoming D pressure to shield the puck and finess it with draw weight into the danger zone.

"...ooh, no, now I lost it, where can I put my face... oh, right, right next to Ehlers'. :D"

He's such a troll.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
"...ooh, no, now I lost it, where can I put my face... oh, right, right next to Ehlers'. :D"

He's such a troll.

I am starting to really like Laine's instincts on stripping pucks. What he needs to do is keep watching how Bryan Little plays without the puck especially in the attack and neutral zone. Little is constantly getting a touch on the puck which disrupts the other team's attack and creates turnovers. Mark Stone in Ottawa is a slow skater but he steals and stripps the puck more than anyone in the league and that is what I think Laine can do once he begins to physically mature (not to the same level).

Both he and Ehlers are still too loose on their D zone coverage but that will also come in time. Thank God they have Little on their line because he is a superb defensive forward.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
There's going to be (lengthy, I'd guess) feature on Laine on the "Monthly supplement" (Kuukausiliite) of biggest Finnish newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat. There's a short teaser already published, mainly about Laine not dringking at all. Those features are almost always really good.

teaser in Finnish http://www.hs.fi/kuukausiliite/art-2000005074061.html

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I assume this Finnish way is both easier and safer for kids. Plus, you don't need so much gear. I guess these factors were important in 1920s when the game was invented.

Getting OT
But baseball is the pinnacle of those sports(cricket and so on)

Why not just invest on baseball programs. Give kids more of a chance to play in a real league and make some real money. Baseball is more popular around the world too

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
There's going to be (lengthy, I'd guess) feature on Laine on the "Monthly supplement" (Kuukausiliite) of biggest Finnish newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat. There's a short teaser already published, mainly about Laine not dringking at all. Those features are almost always really good.

teaser in Finnish http://www.hs.fi/kuukausiliite/art-2000005074061.html

That's why he will succeed in his long term goal to become the best hockey player in the world. He lives and breathes it, it's his passion. There's no distractions allowed.

Love the attitude, too bad I can't do that (not drink at all etc). When you love what you do, you do everything for it.

Same thing was visible with Selanne. Love for the game. He was always saying how much fun he was having and how much he loved to just play hockey. That's why it was hard for him to give it up and the "one more year" turned into like 5 more years.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
His ceiling is something none of us can really explain or predict. Something extra ordinary that doesn't just come by every other year. We'll have to wait a few years more, but imagine prime Selänne and how good he was. Laine has the chance to be even better. That's not a guarantee of course, but a realistic possibility. I've loved every minute of his rookie season and haven't missed a single game. Something about his game just takes you along.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
His ceiling is something none of us can really explain or predict. Something extra ordinary that doesn't just come by every other year. We'll have to wait a few years more, but imagine prime Selänne and how good he was. Laine has the chance to be even better. That's not a guarantee of course, but a realistic possibility. I've loved every minute of his rookie season and haven't missed a single game. Something about his game just takes you along.

Yeah we have not seen a guy like this, with the natural tools and size and drive...since maybe Mario.

When you're the best shooter in the world at 18, best passer in your team, defensively responsible (hey, brain farts happen but they are also a sign of high confidence) and physically a true specimen....#1 in adjusted GPG of ALL TIME and #4 in adjusted PPG of all time....hell yeah we can't explain or predict what is to come. This is a toddler doing backflips in his crib, we don't know what he will be capable of.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Yeah we have not seen a guy like this, with the natural tools and size and drive...since maybe Mario.

When you're the best shooter in the world at 18, best passer in your team, defensively responsible (hey, brain farts happen but they are also a sign of high confidence) and physically a true specimen....#1 in adjusted GPG of ALL TIME and #4 in adjusted PPG of all time....hell yeah we can't explain or predict what is to come. This is a toddler doing backflips in his crib, we don't know what he will be capable of.

Yeah, I knew he was capable of blowing the odds but didn't expect it to happen this soon. I've followed the kid since he was 15 or so and something in the gut told me there was something special in the makings. Needless to say, I didn't expect Laine to have won MVP titles in FEL playoffs, then WHC and follow it up on unseen European born rookie season ever. It's taken a lot of time for the others to catch up and Leafs stabbing him behind every corner certainly hasn't helped. Yet here we are. The Jets and the Finns certainly seem to have some kind of a magic bond. They should start drafting Finns only ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad