Patrik Laine is going to blow the roof off NWA & Hockey in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
you can read between the lines that he truly hates Columbus and misses the big city Winnipeg had to offer
See... Reading the article of finnish gives me none of that.

The google translate is poor. I can't believe they didn't give a finnish speaker a shot at translating.

"– Joukkueessa on huikeita tyyppejä."

"There are some awesome guys in the team"

"He ovat helpottaneet mun sisääntuloa paljon"
They have made my transition so much easier"

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
See... Reading the article of finnish gives me none of that.

The google translate is poor. I can't believe they didn't give a finnish speaker a shot at translating.

"– Joukkueessa on huikeita tyyppejä."

"There are some awesome guys in the team"

"He ovat helpottaneet mun sisääntuloa paljon"
They have made my transition so much easier"

Sarkasmia, Matti.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Laine needs a top line playmaker to be an asset that’s going to be worth the price he’s going to be asking for. If we were always on the power play we’d be fine, but without a top line player he’s not very effective. If he’s going to be wanting $8m per year, they better have a plan on bringing in a top playmaker to get him the puck

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine needs a top line playmaker to be an asset that’s going to be worth the price he’s going to be asking for. If we were always on the power play we’d be fine, but without a top line player he’s not very effective. If he’s going to be wanting $8m per year, they better have a plan on bringing in a top playmaker to get him the puck
I don't think it's right. With Nash and Bjork he played very good, fed his partners, strong on the puck, very good physical play. And I doubt Nash is a playmaker if even Bjork isn't.
IMHO it's cliche from Jets. This line had many changes in the last game, I'm afraid Bobrovsky was great. Although....maybe it's time to try Domi who's beginning to wake up from winter sleep.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
I don't think it's right. With Nash and Bjork he played very good, fed his partners, strong on the puck, very good physical play. And I doubt Nash is a playmaker if even Bjork isn't.
IMHO it's cliche from Jets. This line had many changes in the last game, I'm afraid Bobrovsky was great. Although....maybe it's time to try Domi who's beginning to wake up from winter sleep.

I like your optimism but one game is one game. We'll see.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

7.5 million is the minimum you can pay him... (Qualifying offer)

Reactions: Halberdier

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
7.5 million is the minimum you can pay him... (Qualifying offer)

If I'm not wrong they can offer him less but it'll go to to arbitration in that case? For Laine's sake I hope the salary will be reasonable as it takes away some of the worst pressure. Of course I have no idea how him and his agent feel about it. Some players want to maximize the money, some see benefits in accepting a bit less than they could push for.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I like your optimism but one game is one game. We'll see.
It's only one game, but Florida is a good team and we saw he can when he wants. IMHO if he'll continue he can be very good two way power forward with great shot, who won't depend on partners . Of course nobody thinks he'll win Selke Trophy. ;)
Btw, people have to be optimists. :)

Ship of Fools

Feb 8, 2020
Domi is frustrating, but he has the best puck skills on the team (IMHO) I don't recall seeing Laine, Domi, Bjork - who I think are our three most talented offensive hockey players (although Cam has been playing like his old self of late).. seems as though Torts is throwing darts at a dart board to set the lines, so I hope eventually the darts land on the above

Laine, Domi, Bjork (inset Jenner @C for faceoffs in offensive zone)
Cam, Roslevic, Foligno
Robinson, Texier , Stenlund
Nash, Jenner, Bemstrom (I guess) I'd prefer Foudy

Nyquist is a bit of a wild card when he comes back, guessing Bemmstrom will be the odd man out, but probably the dart board approach again with Bemstrom & Sunland

All that said, if they don't pick up at least 5 points between now and sunday evening, it's time to start acquiring draft picks, but in true CBJ fashion, this is the absolute worst draft to be have an off year

As far as Torts, he's one of if not my all time favorite coach, but even great coaches have their message eventually shut out from the players.. I think it's time for a change, not because of performance per say, but I think this team needs a culture shake up..

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I am a Laine fan. However his play can be very frustrating. He shows flashes of brilliance then just disappears for long spells. I think it’s due to frustration when things don’t go his way and he doesn’t handle it well. Your biggest hurdle is his agent who leaks things purposely with no regard for the team he plays for. I like Patty and think he’s a good kid but he hooked up with the wrong agent and instead of nurturing his great demeanour he’s turning him into a bit of a self centred pompous ass.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
If I'm not wrong they can offer him less but it'll go to to arbitration in that case? For Laine's sake I hope the salary will be reasonable as it takes away some of the worst pressure. Of course I have no idea how him and his agent feel about it. Some players want to maximize the money, some see benefits in accepting a bit less than they could push for.

Nope. If they don't make the qualifying offer he becomes a free agent july 1st.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Domi is frustrating, but he has the best puck skills on the team (IMHO) I don't recall seeing Laine, Domi, Bjork - who I think are our three most talented offensive hockey players (although Cam has been playing like his old self of late).. seems as though Torts is throwing darts at a dart board to set the lines, so I hope eventually the darts land on the above

Laine, Domi, Bjork (inset Jenner @C for faceoffs in offensive zone)
Cam, Roslevic, Foligno
Robinson, Texier , Stenlund
Nash, Jenner, Bemstrom (I guess) I'd prefer Foudy

Nyquist is a bit of a wild card when he comes back, guessing Bemmstrom will be the odd man out, but probably the dart board approach again with Bemstrom & Sunland

All that said, if they don't pick up at least 5 points between now and sunday evening, it's time to start acquiring draft picks, but in true CBJ fashion, this is the absolute worst draft to be have an off year

As far as Torts, he's one of if not my all time favorite coach, but even great coaches have their message eventually shut out from the players.. I think it's time for a change, not because of performance per say, but I think this team needs a culture shake up..
If the line Foligno-Jenner-Atkinson will play like play in the last game so I don't see any reason to change it. But I agree Domi should be tried with Bjork and Patrik.

Reactions: Ship of Fools

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
If Torts stays, I am guessing he is going to want out. Torts is horrible at coaching skill players. "Grind baby grind!"

OT but welcome to Puljujarvi's world. It hurt to watch McLellan trying to turn him into a grinder. However, we're seeing some benefits now when Pulju has a more natural role to him but is able to use his physicality.

I would like to see Laine become more of a power forward, but they can't just expect a huge change just like that. This is not the first time Laine says his confidence is low. He's been there before and things have turned quickly. I don't see why it wouldn't do so again. When he gets his confidence going his game will look much better, I expect that to happen during the next games after he scores a goal or two. But in the long term it'd be better if Laine could manage to avoid these low-confidence moments and I still think training to become more versatile would help a lot.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

They maybe can offer less than 7.5M, but the problem is that then they will lose the negotiation rights for Laine and he will become a UFA.

From NHL.com web site (emphasis mine):
"QUALIFYING OFFERS
The deadline for teams to send their RFAs qualifying offers is the day following the NHL draft (June 29). On that same date, RFAs can begin contract talks with rival teams. A qualifying offer is needed to retain negotiating rights to that player if they are given an offer sheet from a rival club. If a team does not send a qualifying offer to their RFA they become an unrestricted free agent (UFA) on July 1. Stipulations for qualifying offers include: offering at least a one-year contract and offer at least 100% of their previous salary."

But Jarmo is no fool. He knows Laine is worth more.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see subsequent posts by @jepjepjoo & @Whyme , just ignore

Reactions: Whyme

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Torts stays, I am guessing he is going to want out. Torts is horrible at coaching skill players. "Grind baby grind!"
Lecavalier, St. Louis, Panarin say hello. IMHO he was St. Louis who said Torts helped him. The whole problem Torts wants so that players were complex not only one dimensional. Patrik is learning it.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011

So Laine is now centered by a guy who has scored 0.18 points per game over the last three seasons. Laine was complaining about his centers in Winnipeg, all which are scoring multiple times higher than Nash. Somehow I cannot predict a very bright future for that line. I get that they are short on centers, but having third or fourth line players centering the first two lines, I find it no wonder they can't score. Anyway, can always bet on Torts losing his patience within a few games and coming up with new lines again.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So Laine is now centered by a guy who has scored 0.18 points per game over the last three seasons. Laine was complaining about his centers in Winnipeg, all which are scoring multiple times higher than Nash. Somehow I cannot predict a very bright future for that line. I get that they are short on centers, but having third or fourth line players centering the first two lines, I find it no wonder they can't score. Anyway, can always bet on Torts losing his patience within a few games and coming up with new lines again.

This is the first time they've tried having a bottom-six center play center with Laine. And in that game and a half Laine has looked fine. He had like 10 shot attempts last game.

Prior to that they were playing middle six wingers in that spot.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Lecavalier, St. Louis, Panarin say hello. IMHO he was St. Louis who said Torts helped him. The whole problem Torts wants so that players were complex not only one dimensional. Patrik is learning it.

I think I saw Torts say in an interview that he just let's Panarin do his thing since it was working, so I doubt there was much coaching there. St Louis and Vinny though, I agree. But that was a long time ago.

Prior to that they were playing middle six wingers in that spot.

When you put it that way, it's pretty hilarious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad