Patrik Laine is going to blow the roof off NWA & Hockey in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Doesnt mean he’s not going to ask for it

Sure. Does that mean CBJ should give it to him?

Let's say that he asks for $10m, and Jarmo says no. Then Laine stubbornly holds out for it next Fall. Do you think GMs are going to be licking their lips to get him and give him that much? I don't think Laine is getting that kind of money from anyone, not unless he shows that he has a higher gear. Lebrun canvassed 10 NHL execs on the trade and none of them thought Columbus got any kind of steal here. Dubois is maybe an $8m player, and Laine isn't worth more than Dubois.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Let's say that he asks for $10m, and Jarmo says no. Then Laine stubbornly holds out for it next Fall. Do you think GMs are going to be licking their lips to get him and give him that much? I don't think Laine is getting that kind of money from anyone, not unless he shows that he has a higher gear. Lebrun canvassed 10 NHL execs on the trade and none of them thought Columbus got any kind of steal here. Dubois is maybe an $8m player, and Laine isn't worth more than Dubois.

He wouldn't hold out very long, he'd just sign his qualifying offer and walk the next year. Laine holds all the cards (basically) and Jarmo will have to decide if he's worth keeping at his price or not.

(He probably will)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He wouldn't hold out very long, he'd just sign his qualifying offer and walk the next year. Laine holds all the cards (basically) and Jarmo will have to decide if he's worth keeping at his price or not.

(He probably will)

The best thing for the Jackets to do in that situation is to go with the QO for 2021-22. You don't sign someone to a $10m x 8 out of fear, you actually have to think the player is worth it. Go with the QO, and then re-evaluate in summer 2022 before Laine's last RFA year.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The best thing for the Jackets to do in that situation is to go with the QO for 2021-22. You don't sign someone to a $10m x 8 out of fear, you actually have to think the player is worth it. Go with the QO, and then re-evaluate in summer 2022 before Laine's last RFA year.

If Laine accepts his QO, then Jarmo botched the entire situation. You won't see him again at the negotiation table in all likelihood.

You either sign him or you trade him. This summer.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Laine accepts his QO, then Jarmo botched the entire situation. You won't see him again at the negotiation table in all likelihood.

You either sign him or you trade him. This summer.

I don't share that view. I think it is an option to roll with Laine for 2021-22, see what you have, see if things click better for him. And if they don't click, trade him in 2022.

I'm not worried about re-signing Laine if he's playing like a $10m player and we're willing to pay him that $10m. I'd be more worried about it if he isn't good enough for it. We might need another year to figure that out.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Yea this year is make or break if Laine stays in Columbus. Ideally we could just qualify and see if he's really worth what he's asking, that's ideal, like you know for organizations where players don't leave and already have a lot of good players that play for the team. That aint us. We need to retain every quality player we can get our hands on. Especially ones as talented as Laine who is just 22. Give him whatever he wants, we dont have other players to give it to that can impact the game like he can. And yes he hasn't been as he can be because our other talent plus Tort's system has made everyone look like dogshit. That's not an excuse, the team this year has been god awful bad.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yea this year is make or break if Laine stays in Columbus. Ideally we could just qualify and see if he's really worth what he's asking, that's ideal, like you know for organizations where players don't leave and already have a lot of good players that play for the team. That aint us. We need to retain every quality player we can get our hands on. Especially ones as talented as Laine who is just 22. Give him whatever he wants, we dont have other players to give it to that can impact the game like he can. And yes he hasn't been as he can be because our other talent plus Tort's system has made everyone look like dogshit. That's not an excuse, the team this year has been god awful bad.

I've been watching him play his whole career. It's not just this year that he isn't a $10m player.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yea and Columbus can't afford to let him walk. Much like Panarin probably isn't worth 13 million

The Jackets offered Panarin $12m, and he is absolutely worth that. Maybe worth $13m too.

I would have no trouble paying Laine $8m per because he is an important building block piece. As far as value to his team I'd say Laine so far in his career is closer to half the value of Artemi Panarin. Going to $8m or $9m is already heavily factoring in the fact that the team needs some anchor tenants. Going to $10m is like triple counting that factor, it's just absurd.

I don't think the Jackets would let Laine "walk", by the way. I'm saying you don't have to rush into a bad deal this summer. Take the Q.O. and if in 2022 you can't come to an agreement, then you can trade him then. He'll still be an RFA.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Laine won't hold out till fall he will go to arbitration in the summer if they don't reach a deal he will get awarded a 1 or 2 year contract likely 1 year since the team will decide the length of it.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
The Jackets offered Panarin $12m, and he is absolutely worth that. Maybe worth $13m too.

I would have no trouble paying Laine $8m per because he is an important building block piece. As far as value to his team I'd say Laine so far in his career is closer to half the value of Artemi Panarin. Going to $8m or $9m is already heavily factoring in the fact that the team needs some anchor tenants. Going to $10m is like triple counting that factor, it's just absurd.

I don't think the Jackets would let Laine "walk", by the way. I'm saying you don't have to rush into a bad deal this summer. Take the Q.O. and if in 2022 you can't come to an agreement, then you can trade him then. He'll still be an RFA.
I agree with this, Artemi was worth big money because he drove this team and created offense out of nothing. Laine is definitely not that, 8 - 9 million fair enough, I'd still pay him 10 million as I think it's worth it to turn the tide of players not wanting to sign here long term. We need a franchise player and Laine can be that with the right players around him. My fear with trading him away is that we probably will not get fair value. But same could have been said for Dubois but I still don't like our chances. It'd be great if he even wants to sign here.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Let’s see what happens with the cap, but at this point I don’t feel confident offering him more than just a bit over the QO

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I agree with this, Artemi was worth big money because he drove this team and created offense out of nothing. Laine is definitely not that, 8 - 9 million fair enough, I'd still pay him 10 million as I think it's worth it to turn the tide of players not wanting to sign here long term. We need a franchise player and Laine can be that with the right players around him. My fear with trading him away is that we probably will not get fair value. But same could have been said for Dubois but I still don't like our chances. It'd be great if he even wants to sign here.
Panarin played with Dubois who is a classical center with very good face-off, Laine with Roslovic who played on the wing long time and his face-off is under 40%. Plus Werenski and Jones played better than now.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Panarin played with Dubois who is a classical center with very good face-off, Laine with Roslovic who played on the wing long time and his face-off is under 40%. Plus Werenski and Jones played better than now.

That has not much to do with how good Artemi Panarin was, he made everyone better. Including Dubois.

Laine truly has no one other than Bjorkstrand that is even close to his skill level among our forwards.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
That has not much to do with how good Artemi Panarin was, he made everyone better. Including Dubois.

Laine truly has no one other than Bjorkstrand that is even close to his skill level among our forwards.

Thats a bit of problem, yes he should play better and make his line better, but he must be frustrated

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Thats a bit of problem, yes he should play better and make his line better, but he must be frustrated
Yep not saying he doesn't have any blame here, it just seems like he needs more of a stronger team and it's unlikely he can carry us. Just one of the reasons why I doubt this is going to work out long term.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yep not saying he doesn't have any blame here, it just seems like he needs more of a stronger team and it's unlikely he can carry us. Just one of the reasons why I doubt this is going to work out long term.

Expecting someone to carry you isnt a recipe for winning.

Laine is clearly not at the elite level of players such as the Crosbys, Matthews, Mackinnon, mcdavid, Panarin, etc. And that’s fine. I do think he has the ability to get near this tier of player. He is only 22/23 years old.

I think people are expecting/wanting a Panarin style player. And I get it. He made everyone better and drove play like no other player we’ve had. But trying to make Laine that style of player is just asking for disappointment.

I think it’s better to look at Laine in the same eyes we looked at Nash with. He’s a star player, an all star with elite level qualities, but he doesn’t necessarily make others better and needs others around him in order to maximize his value. I think he’s a better robin than Batman. And that’s okay. We didn’t even have an Alfred before he got here.

I think people are pretty down on Laine and I get it because the team sucks and he’s not been “elite”. But I do think he’s going to be a stud here. And I think he’s going to sign here.

Reactions: Viqsi

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It doesn’t matter who plays center for Panarin, he will produce regardless

Reactions: 6zag

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Laine is clearly not at the elite level of players such as the Crosbys, Matthews, Mackinnon, mcdavid, Panarin, etc. And that’s fine. I do think he has the ability to get near this tier of player. He is only 22/23 years old.
Close to no chance, his stick handling is atrocious, he doesn’t have power forward skating and his playmaking is okayish. His shot is easily top 3 in the league though, so if he’s paired with a good playmaking center, he will score a lot

Reactions: 6zag

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Close to no chance, his stick handling is atrocious, he doesn’t have power forward skating and his playmaking is okayish. His shot is easily top 3 in the league though, so if he’s paired with a good playmaking center, he will score a lot

I don’t agree about his stick handling. His skating is passable he just needs to move his feet more. His playmaking is good we just need to get better line mates for him so they can get open. Since he’s not a driver of play it’s harder to create lanes for others. But if they’re open, he can hit them.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
What planet do you live on? I don't get how people can spout completely false things with such confidence... then again there are flat earthers
Well, watch him play, it’s very slow and he turns the puck over on the blue line trying to stick handle often. But I get you’re Finnish, so he’s perfect for you.

Example: last game, on the power play, Jones leaves it to Laine who speeds up and tries to cross the blue line, stick handles and loses it to a poke check with the puck leaving the zone. That’s not just him having this issue though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad