Patrik Laine III: We’ve got questions, he’s got answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think a 1 year deal at his current QO would be ideal for the team since it is minimal risk as he'd still be an RFA at the end of it and it allows the team to assess his play with a full camp and new coaching staff.

But it's unlikely that Laine would go for that. Too much risk on his end.

Laine would sign his QO I think. He has to know he's not getting more than that. So it will probably be a 1 year deal and re-visit this a year from UFA.

So it's essentially down to Jarmo and the coaching staff on what kind of player they truly believe he is. If they believe he is a 30-40 goal top line winger, then offer him $8 million x 6 years. If they don't believe he is likely to regain his goal scoring form, then move him.

If 8x6 is too low for Laine to accept, then every dollar above that amount would require Jarmo to be even more sure that he will regain form. I would cap out at $10 million x 6 but in the unrealistic scenario where Jarmo is 100% sure that last season was an aberration and Laine will be a star on this team.

See I think he is a 30-40 goal guy, but that doesn't make a player an automatic $8m-$10m guy. Cam was a 30+ goal guy and hit 41 once, I don't think he was worth $8m-$10m. And Laine's overall game is worse than Cam's was, much much worse. $10m per is unfathomable. With Laine's overall game he'd have to be scoring 50 every year to justify that.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
It's funny how Laine (kinda) revealed him and the team disagree on contract term and we have no idea which side wants what

Is JK still handling contracts? If so it will likely not end well

I bet Laine wants a shorter deal to try and get a bigger deal with better pay and CBJ want to lock him up to a longer term with less money per. But its still early into things, I wouldn't look deepinto anything yet

Reactions: CBJx614

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I was curious to see what the CBJ fans opinion of Laine was and I saw that comment.

Simple question.....does anyone see anything in Laine concern about weather and college town?

I mean he came from Winnipeg. I'm sure the weather is significantly better and from what I can get that there is not a lot to do there so a college town at his age would be desirable. If you can balance hockey and that part of his life I don't care

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He keeps saying there are players who want Laine gone. My question is who and why. Not like many players on the team have much room to talk as the nobody on the team has done anything spectacular.

Which makes me believe there's something going on behind the scenes. Otherwise why keep bringing up some players essentially don't like Laine.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think Portzline wants Laine traded. He seems to be pushing these trade rumors harder than anybody else......

But all that being said, it the right offer comes yeah definitely take it.
It concerns even Bjorkstrand. Another question, what is right offer. Porty didn`t write it.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Portzline wants Laine traded. He seems to be pushing these trade rumors harder than anybody else......

For all I know maybe he is pushing a personal desire but he's also the main beat reporter for the team, and he didn't start telling this story about some people wanting Laine gone until the report from the exit interviews, when he talked to some of the leaders of the team. It would be very convenient for Laine fans to write this off as "just Porty's opinion", but it's probably the painful truth coming out.

He keeps saying there are players who want Laine gone. My question is who and why. Not like many players on the team have much room to talk as the nobody on the team has done anything spectacular.

Which makes me believe there's something going on behind the scenes. Otherwise why keep bringing up some players essentially don't like Laine.

Why keep bringing it up? Because it's a factor if it's true. If there are Jackets that don't want to play with Laine then it matters for the future course of the team. Why suppress the information?

And it shouldn't surprise anybody. Have you ever played on a serious team and you have a teammate who isn't prepared to play, and is killing you on the ice? In 642 5v5 minutes with Laine the Jackets were minus 23. In 2197 minutes with him on the bench or elsewhere they were only minus 11. That stuff drives guys bonkers.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
For all I know maybe he is pushing a personal desire but he's also the main beat reporter for the team, and he didn't start telling this story about some people wanting Laine gone until the report from the exit interviews, when he talked to some of the leaders of the team. It would be very convenient for Laine fans to write this off as "just Porty's opinion", but it's probably the painful truth coming out.

Why keep bringing it up? Because it's a factor if it's true. If there are Jackets that don't want to play with Laine then it matters for the future course of the team. Why suppress the information?

And it shouldn't surprise anybody. Have you ever played on a serious team and you have a teammate who isn't prepared to play, and is killing you on the ice? In 642 5v5 minutes with Laine the Jackets were minus 23. In 2197 minutes with him on the bench or elsewhere they were only minus 11. That stuff drives guys bonkers.
Definitely, but Laines isn't coming up with excuses or just giving bullshit answers about his performance. He's taken all the blame and admitted he needs to be better. As a player and a teammate, that's the kinda thing I like to hear. Especially if I see him putting in the work behind the scenes and not just talking.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Definitely, but Laines isn't coming up with excuses or just giving bullshit answers about his performance. He's taken all the blame and admitted he needs to be better. As a player and a teammate, that's the kinda thing I like to hear. Especially if I see him putting in the work behind the scenes and not just talking.

Sure. Perhaps they'll warm to him if he takes a step. Or perhaps they are cool because they can see behind the scenes and see that it is just talk.

We can't see as much about Laine anymore. He used to make it very obvious how unprofessional he was - you could see his fortnite hours every night and how little he slept. It would be great if he has ditched all that crap, but we don't know.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I don`t need Porty`s inside to know there`re players which prefer Laine`s trade because of his the last season. But probably it isn`t so serious if Jarmo&JD aren`t necessarily looking to trade him, what Porty wrote too. And if he shows his talent, about what Grigorenko said, in the next season IMHO this problem would be out.

Sure. Perhaps they'll warm to him if he takes a step. Or perhaps they are cool because they can see behind the scenes and see that it is just talk.

We can't see as much about Laine anymore. He used to make it very obvious how unprofessional he was - you could see his fortnite hours every night and how little he slept. It would be great if he has ditched all that crap, but we don't know.
The meeting with leaders was immediately after the press-conference. Besides Laine stayed in CBJ for work. We know Larsen`s word similar like Torts (Laine isn`t lazy). Look I don`t know whether Patrik will be traded and if his trade helps the team and a value will be really good.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I was curious to see what the CBJ fans opinion of Laine was and I saw that comment.

Simple question.....does anyone see anything in Laine concern about weather and college town?

I think Laine was praising Columbus weather and just stating that its a college town. I don't read anything negatively in this.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm reading the reactions to Porty's words on Twitter. I get the feeling that Patrik Laine is something of a saint who can only be thought of in a good way. I like Patrick as a player (I don't know him as a person), but this way of thinking is ridiculous IMHO.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I actually believe CBJ should offer Laine a 7 x 7,5M deal. Having Laine cemented in could actually make it easier to get a 1C. I would either try to do a 2-3yr deal or then a 7yr deal. All without any kind of trade restrictions.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
In 642 5v5 minutes with Laine the Jackets were minus 23. In 2197 minutes with him on the bench or elsewhere they were only minus 11. That stuff drives guys bonkers.

I am usually skeptical of analytics as applied to hockey, but if I were Jarmo I would find those numbers really hard to ignore!

Let's hope somebody in the front office has a clear picture of what's going on with Laine and knows what to expect going forward.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
At this point it appears that no matter what Laine himself or anyone other than Laine say, insinuate, print, etc. nothing appears to be believable. I mean the guy has said he wasn't good and needs to be better. He's said he likes Columbus. He indicated that he didn't have an issue with Torts but also sounds like a different approach will be a better way for him to respond. Yet, this is disingenuous. On the other side we have players that want him traded, a beat writer that feels he's going to be traded. Reports he's a diva, a malcontent. Yet this doesn't appear to be substantiated either.

I guess it's somewhere in the middle, just like everything else we read/hear/opine. This just feels like you keep him for at least a year to see what the hell he shows unless you get an offer that is equivalent to his 50 goal potential and someone else believes it will happen on their team. Personally, I want to see one full year of him with a camp under his belt and BL as the coach. This team may not be very good but I think you can learn a lot about players and especially Laine. As a 23 year old 50 goal potential player, that's not common and we have one. Can we get him to be more than potential?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I am usually skeptical of analytics as applied to hockey, but if I were Jarmo I would find those numbers really hard to ignore!

Let's hope somebody in the front office has a clear picture of what's going on with Laine and knows what to expect going forward.

I’ll call Jarmo up and ask if he’s familiar with these kinds of statistics.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That's as simple as "are you getting outscored by the other team?", you don't need an analytics department for that. They know.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At this point it appears that no matter what Laine himself or anyone other than Laine say, insinuate, print, etc. nothing appears to be believable. I mean the guy has said he wasn't good and needs to be better. He's said he likes Columbus. He indicated that he didn't have an issue with Torts but also sounds like a different approach will be a better way for him to respond. Yet, this is disingenuous.

It's obviously not disingenuous, he wants to be better. It's just intentions though. I can say whatever I want in my New Year's resolutions but there are things in life that are hard to fix.

You can believe that I've cut out fast food after I do it, not when I say I will do it. We'll have to see how Patty has changed when we see him on the ice.

I'm agnostic by the way. Everyone knows that I think Patty should be traded but that's because I think his value will go lower if we keep him. I actually think he'll play better, but just won't be able to score anywhere near his upside on this team.

On the other side we have players that want him traded, a beat writer that feels he's going to be traded. Reports he's a diva, a malcontent. Yet this doesn't appear to be substantiated either.

What do you mean substantiated? It's a report of what some players think. There's no reason why this is where we suddenly find this of all reports to be unbelievable. If you think Porty is always a liar, then sure. But this news is an entirely predictable consequence of the way Laine has played.

He was just really bad at hockey and he knows it, and feels terrible. That's not a diva, who can't smell their own shit. Did someone actually report that he was a diva?

As a 23 year old 50 goal potential player, that's not common and we have one.

50 goal potential, on what team?

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
It's funny how Laine (kinda) revealed him and the team disagree on contract term and we have no idea which side wants what

In two months, I fully expect to read this quote from Laine: "I'm a free agent in two years and I have the right a qualifying offer of a certain amount so of course I'm going to leverage those to me advantage to get a deal that's best for me - I feel like I have the hammer in this situation. Why wouldn't I use it?"

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
In two months, I fully expect to read this quote from Laine: "I'm a free agent in two years and I have the right a qualifying offer of a certain amount so of course I'm going to leverage those to me advantage to get a deal that's best for me - I feel like I have the hammer in this situation. Why wouldn't I use it?"

and if that’s the truth at that point i don’t mind him saying that. Sometimes truth can be brutal. But still i rather hear the truth than lies.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad