Patrik Laine III: We’ve got questions, he’s got answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Kaprizov is only one year older. While he was playing in the KHL, Laine was playing in the NHL. Right now it looks like Kaprizov has learned more with his experience. At what age do we stop saying someone is still young? Should we go by age or experience? Is a guy really younger with more years in the league, than a guy with less years but higher age? Maturity hits people at different times so people may be older years wise, but still have a lower maturity age. I am more than willing to give Laine the benifit of the doubt. I see he got his offer and hope he signs it and moves on to improving next year. I know it don't sound like it, but I would love to see him improve and stay in Columbus long term. Having him and Bjorkstrand on 2 separate scoring lines sounds good to me. I just think Laine has a little work to do, and Columbus has work to do getting some solid playmakers on the team.
I don`t think Laine and Bjorkstrand need playmakers because both of them are really great player. IMHO Bjork is underrated.

What I can judge by my husband (he is Russian), they are very adaptable now, especially if they make Russian friends, they have the opportunity to eat Russian food (delicious by the way, I recommend it). Mother Russia are often different worlds. I love it. :nod: Besides, as I wrote before, Kaprizov came before the season, got used to the conditions, made friends... .

As for Laine, maybe I'm wrong, but he reminds me of such a big kid. :)

IMHO it`s better for him too.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think he does either. I get the feeling he's critical because he knows Laine can be better.

I get the feeling Portzline does it because he wants it to happen.

Shelley does it because Laine has to be better, last year he didn't meet a baseline pro standard. Guys who plied the 4th line in the NHL know where that standard is.

Who knows what Portzline is thinking but if players tell him they don't want to play with Laine then it's his job to report it. If anything you'd expect the constant drama around a player like this to be a boon for the career of a writer.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

If he`s agree with QO I think it wouldn`t be any problem. Because Pagnotta wrote::

In the last 36 hours, multiple sources told me the Blue Jackets also gauging the market on Patrik Laine.
Laine, 23, can become a restricted free agent (with arbitration rights) on July 28. He was acquired, along with Jack Roslovic, from Winnipeg for Pierre-Luc Dubois earlier in the season. The hope was he’d reelevate his game after a change of scenery and return to being one of the best young snipers in the league. The Blue Jackets are still hopeful, but they’re also keeping their options open in the event contract negotiations, which haven’t started yet, go sideways.

Shelley does it because Laine has to be better, last year he didn't meet a baseline pro standard. Guys who plied the 4th line in the NHL know where that standard is.

Who knows what Portzline is thinking but if players tell him they don't want to play with Laine then it's his job to report it. If anything you'd expect the constant drama around a player like this to be a boon for the career of a writer.

It is questionable when they said it and how many. IMHO it was only someone, because Portzline would love to write that it was most of the players. Besides, it could have been during the season when they didn't trust him. Now it's up to him to gain their trust. Unless of course they trade him. But his value is too low now, GMs will gladly use these problems. That`s why I wouldn`t trade him. But of course Jarmo&JD can have another idea on this situation, they see more.

Last edited:

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
I don't know how many of you remember when Laine talked about his strengths a bit more specifically; he said something along the lines that he sees himself to be good at reading the plays and then finding the openings when the play is there. And his shot is also good. But finding the openings doesn't include standing still all the time (but that might be included, if the outcome of a play is uncertain for example). That skill is also neutered quite well if he has to hang too close to the blueline to cover for lost plays in the boards. And also when it's him battling in the corners and boards.

On the other hand that skill also lowers the skill requirement for the playmaker a bit as Laine can find those openings. No need to make mcdavidesque passes to set him up. But it DOES require chemistry and his linemates to understand his way of thinking/playing.

So while I think it would be good for Laine to develop his board game and footwork (first steps and agility, which is what causes him the most troubles in the D-zone as he has to limit his defensive play to blockin the lines, otherwise there's too big of a risk for him to be played out), I still understand that his biggest strength will suffer from it (the boars plays, not footwork and agility).

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
The question is whether or not maximizing that one trick does help to win games or not. If attempting to do so actually causes more problems than it solves, then that's Not Good.

That was Tortorella's call, and given the atrocious state our team was in after the PLD backstab it was arguably the best that could be made. Expectations are down for this coming year, tho, and so I'm hopeful that we'll have some breathing room to improve.
This ^ is close to what I was attempting to post.

IMO, Torts gets too much blame for the entire season and/or for Laine’s poor play. Once the PLD fiasco ended, the roster pretty much dictated that 2 goals per game was max offensively. So had to focus on D and protecting goalies if they had ANY chance to make playoffs. That was Torts’ primary job.
Developing Laine or any other player was secondary to that primary task. Once the playoffs became unattainable, that’s when Torts started to check out. He’s not the coach to play out the string solely to develop players. And that’s not the type of coach I would want for a borderline playoff team, which is what CBJ was when the season started. I want a coach like Torts to get the most out of a middling team. Admittedly, things changed.
So I put Laine’s poor year squarely on Laine and am not enamored with his recent statements.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The CBJ need to get Laine to sign his QO and ship him out ASAP.

The more I hear from this guy, the less I want him. Sometimes the best strategy is to cut your losses. Given that it's so hard to project what type of production Laine will bring in the future, if the CBJ get what initially appears to be a poor return for him, it might turn out to be an excellent one.

My read on Laine right now is that getting rid of him is addition by subtraction. The return doesn't even mean that much from my vantage point. Jones can't be given away. If Laine is, it's not that big of a deal, IMO. I'd rather have the spectre of a Jones trade hovering over the team on opening night than one for Laine.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This ^ is close to what I was attempting to post.

IMO, Torts gets too much blame for the entire season and/or for Laine’s poor play. Once the PLD fiasco ended, the roster pretty much dictated that 2 goals per game was max offensively. So had to focus on D and protecting goalies if they had ANY chance to make playoffs. That was Torts’ primary job.
Developing Laine or any other player was secondary to that primary task. Once the playoffs became unattainable, that’s when Torts started to check out. He’s not the coach to play out the string solely to develop players. And that’s not the type of coach I would want for a borderline playoff team, which is what CBJ was when the season started. I want a coach like Torts to get the most out of a middling team. Admittedly, things changed.
So I put Laine’s poor year squarely on Laine and am not enamored with his recent statements.
Laine blamed himself for his play. That his bad play wasn`t for Torts` style. What`s happen this interview we don`t know questions. Btw he said very nice about Torts in his first Finnish interview. IMHO, he just said what he really thinks, because Laine is as a diplomat as I`m a nuclear physicist. Which can't be said for most of the players who only have politically correct answers and won't say what they really think. And Torts isn`t a diplomat too. ;)

Btw every coach must try to improve his players, work on their progress. If he doesn`t it, a team has problems.

The CBJ need to get Laine to sign his QO and ship him out ASAP.

The more I hear from this guy, the less I want him. Sometimes the best strategy is to cut your losses. Given that it's so hard to project what type of production Laine will bring in the future, if the CBJ get what initially appears to be a poor return for him, it might turn out to be an excellent one.

My read on Laine right now is that getting rid of him is addition by subtraction. The return doesn't even mean that much from my vantage point. Jones can't be given away. If Laine is, it's not that big of a deal, IMO. I'd rather have the spectre of a Jones trade hovering over the team on opening night than one for Laine.

I wouldn`t trade him now. Mikhail Grigorenko said it clearly. That he's a player who knows everything, he won't have any problems in the next season. And Grigorenko has no reason to be diplomatic. Plus his value is, diplomatic said, terrible. Besides I`m not sure if we must him trade because if he shows his qualities it would be stupidity.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Like others I think trading him now is selling him at a low point. Additionally not sure how many teams have cap room for $7.5M? That largely tells me we will have him until the deadline.

To me Seattle doesn't seem to be a fit. They have their tickets sold and their identity doesn't seem to fit adding a guy like him.
May be a challenge to get any value back with that size of contract, without taking back something really bad?

Reactions: LJ7201

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
My God, let us trade Laine already, may we have holy peace from Portzline. He's trading him again. I don't know if Patrik will be traded or not, but Portzline crap is getting on my nerves.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah it's the reporters fault that people are talking about a Laine trade.

It wouldn't be that this player is a terrible fit here and likely to lose value the longer he stays, not to mention the fact that the team is starting a rebuild and he's nearing UFA. No you wouldn't trade a player in those circumstances.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
If they can flip this guy for more assets a la Jones, Jarmo will be in my good graces again. But I think he's pretty close with this kid and wants to retain him.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If Laine also wants $9.5m AAV, ship him away

Definitely he wants that like every other NHL skater, but he knows that he won't get that yet. I guess Laine will stick with that 7.5M qualifying offer for a 1 year.

Reactions: Fro

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Portzline melting down that he’s tried so hard to get Laine traded when it appears we’re building around him.
You say that but Laine could well be the next one to go. It's like the Red Wedding up in here.

Also Portzline doesn't *try* anything. He voices what he has heard and then offers a layer of speculation / insight / rooting interest. He's like a pop-history author. He does the research, reports the facts, and then potentially adds a spin or some embellishment but can't actually influence things and wouldn't make anything up out of whole cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad