Player Discussion Patrik Berglund

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@joshjull

I see you just replied to JB, so don't take this as a pile on, but I don't think anyone is saying that botts should have precisely known that Berglund would retire.

But there are plenty of signs to see why this might have gone badly on a personal level, if culture is your main focus, which doesn't contemplate Sobotka, probably the sorriest excuse for a "professional" player since his return from the K.

Actually there wasn’t which is the point. Berglund was viewed around the league as a high character player and person. There little to indicate he would be a malcontent let alone do what he did. Even in his time here he was a professional and well like by his teammates. He didn’t drag any drama into the room while he was battling with whatever was bothering him.

Then he made a decision that was so shocking it surprised his friends around the league and former teammates to the point that they were concerned about him as a person. They were all reaching out to help him and were upset they didn’t know what he was going through. But for some reason Botts should have seen it coming.

The biggest problem I have with your take is the hypocrisy. You’ve defended Murray quite a lot. A guy who acquired KNOWN head cases who continued to be so when they were here leading to the dysfunctional and toxic locker we had. Yet I don’t recall you complaining about this very much, if at all. Yet you’re nitpicking this Berglund situation pretending there was some magical research Botts could have done to avoid it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Again you’re grasping at straws.

You still have no way to “poke around” in Blues internal business.

You’re also talking about a player who was universally respected for being a great teammate and player. Not some trouble maker. He was well like and respected by his Sabre teammates as well. I remember Jack and Sam raving about him during camp.

From all accounts it wasn’t until his last week or so that it came out amoung his teammates he was unhappy. Then he stepped away from the team and the NHL. He was a professional right up to pretty much the end and his battle appears to have been a private one. In that segment Jack mentioned something along the lines of you never know what private battles or problems others have.

There was absolutely nothing at all to indicate things would play out like they did.

If you are trading for a player, it better be your business.

When it isn't, you get players who don't want to play for your team on your team.

Berglund isn't the first player in this situation and he won't be the last.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

When it isn't, you get players who don't want to play for your team on your team.

Really? Please list the other players who got traded because they forgot to submit a no trade list. Then got so upset over it they walked away from 3.5 years worth of contract money.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

I think he fell for a high pressure sales pitch that let Armstrong dictate the timing. You have to make the deal now or Berglund and ROR's bonus are off the table. Informed shoppers know that if you miss Black Friday, there's always Cyber Monday.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Really? Please list the other players who got traded because they forgot to submit a no trade list. Then got so upset over it they walked away from 3.5 years worth of contract money.

He isn't the first player to get traded to a team he didn't want to play for.

The Sabres have had more than a couple over the years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

And back in the day, they did it to players too based on stories about Bowman in particular.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

We are going to have agree to disagree on this. It was an incredibly unique situation. Trying to compare it to regular events of the past doesn’t do it justice. I don’t think there was anything the Sabres could have done to prevent the sequence of events that played out with Berglund.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Actually there wasn’t which is the point. Berglund was viewed around the league as a high character player and person. There little to indicate he would be a malcontent let alone do what he did. Even in his time here he was a professional and well like by his teammates. He didn’t drag any drama into the room while he was battling with whatever was bothering him.

Then he made a decision that was so shocking it surprised his friends around the league and former teammates to the point that they were concerned about him as a person. They were all reaching out to help him and were upset they didn’t know what he was going through. But for some reason Botts should have seen it coming.

The biggest problem I have with your take is the hypocrisy. You’ve defended Murray quite a lot. A guy who acquired KNOWN head cases who continued to be so when they were here leading to the dysfunctional and toxic locker we had. Yet I don’t recall you complaining about this very much, if at all. Yet you’re nitpicking this Berglund situation pretending there was some magical research Botts could have done to avoid it.

I'm not defending Murray at all. I generally don't think he did a remotely good job at handling people, from the Bylsma hiring to the ability to manage Pegula and not get fired after his first coach.

But we are talking about Botterill right now. And it's not a nit pick to say it was forseeable that Berglund might not be happy to come to buffalo. Nobody claims he was acting like a malcontent or was a bad guy. That's not the point. The point is that Berglund was in theory the only proven piece you were getting back, in a move that was literally all about culture. And the guy you are getting back, has been on one team for ten years and has a movement protection element to his contract.

To assume that that guy will be perfectly happy and improve your "culture" is just as lacking in looking at who the guy is as anything Murray missed on character.

A safe play on a veteran character guy was Gionta. From the area, wanted to be here and had a track record of success in different franchises. Many long time vets struggle when they move to a new team after a whole career in one city.

Quite honestly this was the best outcome even if it was the extreme outcome.

A more likely, and pretty much what we saw before he left, was that an aging guy who's play doesn't match his pay for a couple years before the trade declined even more, and we would be looking at a guy who can't live up to his deal. Basically another version Okposo without the near death experience.

It was a dumb deal. We all spent a year plus going over it in general. A lot of us looked foolish. Why do we need to defend the individual parts of the deal and act like Botts should have no idea about the contract status or the desire of the players he acquires to want to be here.

When the goal of a trade is as ephemeral and absurd as culture, you better fing nail the culture and desire part. You don't get to make a pipe dream hippy feelings trade and then say, how could I know maaannn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad