Player Discussion Patrik Berglund

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I have usually been pretty good at predicting prospects development, but I was way off on Patrik Berglund.

When he was 18-19 I predicted that he would become the next Mats Sundin.

Yeah, I know, today that claim is embarrassing.

What is your impression of him thus far, disappointed or surprisingly good?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think he's been great for us so far. Steady and dependable, great veteran presence on the ice and I can only assume off the ice. He's been everything we could hope for out of what some termed to be a cap dump.

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
I think his experience and kinda informal leadership/good guy is what is most valuable to the team.

Look at the faceoff yesterday with a bit over a minute to go. Berglund on the ice as backup to Eichel for the faceoff. Thats what a cap dump can do.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
I have usually been pretty good at predicting prospects development, but I was way off on Patrik Berglund.

When he was 18-19 I predicted that he would become the next Mats Sundin.

Yeah, I know, today that claim is embarrassing.

What is your impression of him thus far, disappointed or surprisingly good?

I too had the same impressions of him when playing in Sweden. Maybe not AS good as Sundin but a good impact player. I think the impression might have been skewed by him not playing in the highest league in Sweden, he was never quite able to translate his dominating play when the competition became tougher.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Always been a fan. Continue to be a fan. The stories about him in the LR, the image of him with his arms on the shoulders of linemates during the late game time out yesterday...you can tell he's a 'glue guy'. No, he's not going to be Drury in terms of points of faceoffs, but he has a lot of the same qualities, I think. Keeps everyone grounded, hard worker but with some levity.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I've liked him before he came to buffalo, but it looks early on here that he's lost a step or two. This just may be early rust, so I am reserving judgement. He didn't look bad against VGN.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I just remember the uproar that we took him in the trade and the negative value he is to us

You can disagree with it, but the idea behind the ROR trade was clear: take in futures AND players that will help now with good work ethic and leadership. Some posters could not grasp or accept this, and are hell-bent in believing Botts had to take negative value (as opposed to wanting these players).

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
His injury last season certainly impacted his performance on the ice, and probably skewed opinions about him. Prior to last year year his value among many Blues fans was either a 1st rounder or 'not interested in trading - he's more valuable in our lineup than as a trade chip'.

He is what he is, a solid bottom 6 vet. The reports of his leadership qualities have been a pleasant surprise. I don't think I've heard a better description than @Randall Flagg 's analysis: When he is on the ice there is no flow to the game for both the opponent and his own team. Kudos to the spot on analysis.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
His injury last season certainly impacted his performance on the ice, and probably skewed opinions about him. Prior to last year year his value among many Blues fans was either a 1st rounder or 'not interested in trading - he's more valuable in our lineup than as a trade chip'.

He is what he is, a solid bottom 6 vet. The reports of his leadership qualities have been a pleasant surprise. I don't think I've heard a better description than @Randall Flagg 's analysis: When he is on the ice there is no flow to the game for both the opponent and his own team. Kudos to the spot on analysis.

Bottom six guy feels right. Slower Zubrus element to his game at this point.

Reactions: DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm happy to have him just not at his cap hit. I have nothing against the player at all in fact I have high hopes for what he can bring to the team.

People are confusing those 2 elements. Ad free agents on low end veteran deals I bet many of the nay sayers of the ror deal would welcome both bergs and sobotka.

It was the point that we actually gained salary and further years of being burdened with contracts just as we got out of lehner and Gorges aND are preparing to rid ourselves of moulson, poms and bogo that bothered some.

I still am excited to have both on our team THIS year 100% but that doesn't make me any less leery about aquiring them in the deal looking longterm. It's not always black or white...

Member 308457

We currently have a logjam at forward, not to mention Nylander, CJ Smith, Danny O'Regan, Asplund and Olofsson. Berglund is part of the logjam. Something's gotta give. I like Berglund...he seems to loosen guys up. I'm not sure I want him with Skinner though. Skinner so far seems to be an asset that is on an island.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It was the point that we actually gained salary and further years of being burdened with contracts just as we got out of lehner and Gorges aND are preparing to rid ourselves of moulson, poms and bogo that bothered some.
Not trying to single you out since this is a point that has been repeatedly made by a number of people and I don't get it... maybe I'm missing something.

Sobotka is here this year and next, so 2 years. 3.5 per.
Berglund is here for the next 4 years. 3.85 per.
Both of their caps add up to 7.35 mill.
So that's 4 x 7.35 ...

ROR has 5 x 7.5 left on his deal.

How have we gained salary and further years of cap use? Especially when you consider in two years when Sobotka is gone, half of that cap drops off. You can argue all day the reasons ROR is a better hockey player than these two, but we're objectively in a better cap situation over the next 3-5 years as a result of this deal. Which will probably come in handy as some of our young guys need 2nd and 3rd deals.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'm happy to have him just not at his cap hit. I have nothing against the player at all in fact I have high hopes for what he can bring to the team.

People are confusing those 2 elements. Ad free agents on low end veteran deals I bet many of the nay sayers of the ror deal would welcome both bergs and sobotka.

I still am excited to have both on our team THIS year 100% but that doesn't make me any less leery about aquiring them in the deal looking longterm. It's not always black or white...

Sobotka has one more year under contract, it’s not a long term concern.

And Berglund, I get it his contract runs for three more years after this. But he is only 30 and worth his cap hit right now of 3.85 and hopefully he maintains his level of play. He will be only 33 when the contract ends

I just think the complaints of the contracts are overblown. Sobtka’s cap hit is too high no doubt, but it’s only for one more year and let’s see if he brings a positive value on the ice. Berglund on the other hand has an appropriate cap hit and let’s hope he maintains his play.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Sobotka has one more year under contract, it’s not a long term concern.

And Berglund, I get it his contract runs for three more years after this. But he is only 30 and worth his cap hit right now of 3.85 and hopefully he maintains his level of play. He will be only 33 when the contract ends

I just think the complaints of the contracts are overblown. Sobtka’s cap hit is too high no doubt, but it’s only for one more year and let’s see if he brings a positive value on the ice. Berglund on the other hand has an appropriate cap hit and let’s hope he maintains his play.
"Only 33" for a guy who already have lost a step before he turned 30. It's a weird thing to say when contracts don't often take a player into an older age unless they're already into their 30's. Berglund is a solid depth player, no more. If we signed an equivalent player to his remaining deal, people wouldn't be thrilled about it.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
"Only 33" for a guy who already have lost a step before he turned 30. It's a weird thing to say when contracts don't often take a player into an older age unless they're already into their 30's. Berglund is a solid depth player, no more. If we signed an equivalent player to his remaining deal, people wouldn't be thrilled about it.
I don't think he ever had much of a step to lose honestly. Before his injury plagued '17-18 season Blues Fans didn't want to trade the guy.

I've asked several times who we could have gotten in free agency that is as good with some pedigree and could fill a similar role at his price, and the closest thing to an answer I have gotten is Riley Nash (lol).

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

He is a good two-way center that scored 23 goals two years ago and 17 goals last year in less than 60 games. He has lost a step from what he use to be, but his lost-step current self is worth near his 3.85 million cap hit.

Would be better at around 3 million, of course. Is he slightly overpaid, maybe! Is his contract a burden, not even close and their is no indication it will be yet.

Also, solid depth guys who play a two way game, are centers, and can score 20 cost some money, they aren’t signing for the minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad