Confirmed with Link: Patrick Russell, signs in SHL

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
RELEASE: Oilers sign Russell to extension

EDMONTON, AB - The Edmonton Oilers have signed forward Patrick Russell to a one-year contract extension.
Russell, 26, appeared in 51 games last season with the American Hockey League's (AHL) Bakersfield Condors, registering 40 points (18G, 22A), 32 penalty minutes and a +30 plus/minus rating, ranking second on the team. He also posted seven points (2G, 5A), four penalty minutes and a +3 plus/minus rating in 10 playoff games.
The 6'1", 205-pound forward has appeared in 187 career AHL games over three seasons with the Condors, recording 84 points (40G, 44A) 102 penalty minutes and a +21 plus/minus rating.
Russell played in six games with the Oilers in 2018-19, including making his NHL debut with the Oilers on November 17 against Calgary.

I think he'll get a real shot to earn a bottom-6 roster spot.

Reactions: oilers'72

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Good for Patrick. He had a solid year this year. I like the fact that Holland is trying to overthink things, just wants to keep a stable, winning culture together in Bakersfield, even if the kids dont necessarily translate to the NHL.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
So using cap friendly, we’re at 42 contracts. If Mantha is terminated and Rodrigue stays in junior make it 40. If we take Holland at his word, few if any, will graduate from Bakersfield. That means we need approx. 5 more on the NHL roster. I’m betting Brodziak ends up in Bakersfield so by my count they’re done in Bakersfield unless the player is on an AHL contract

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just wanted to give our man Patrick a little attention.

We all know the whole no goals scored thing, up to 58 games now. Looking around, I believe this is the forward that holds the record for games played without scoring a goal, Gordie Dwyer with 108 games.

Gordie Dwyer Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

I noticed he was kind of a plug and likely a 4th liner his whole career, just out to punch some faces, so I checked out how much ice time he was actually given in his 108 game NHL career and it came out to 616:41 of ice time.

I looked at our boy Patty, and looks like he's actually played 638:40. So suck it Dwyer! :)

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

We all know the whole no goals scored thing, up to 58 games now. Looking around, I believe this is the forward that holds the record for games played without scoring a goal, Gordie Dwyer with 108 games.

I noticed he was kind of a plug and likely a 4th liner his whole career, just out to punch some faces, so I checked out how much ice time he was actually given in his 108 game NHL career and it came out to 616:41 of ice time.

I looked at our boy Patty, and looks like he's actually played 638:40. So suck it Dwyer! :)
I’m rooting hard for Patty to bury one here. IIRC he’s had two called back on challenges now, and managed to score in the return to play exhibition game against Calgary that didn’t count for anything officially.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I've got a soft spot for him, works his bag off, is consistent, forechecks well, strong along the wall, good defensively, a low risk style that keeps mistakes to a minimum. He's basically Fernando Pisani without the offense or big shot.

P. Russell's time as an NHL player is obviously going to be drawing to a close in the not too distant future, just like one dimensional offensive players who don't do any of the little details right, players who only do the little details right and lack the talent to contribute anything offensively don't tend to stick around either.

As a personal rule, I never talk shit about any player who I feel has given us the best they are capable of giving and I feel Russell has done that, I try to save my criticisms for the talented individuals who squander their gifts.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

This gens JFJ.

But I do like P.Russell. He's (mostly) solid defensively, and is always willing to take the body.

Imo he's still a decent extra forward if you want a defensive option. But when you already have Shore, Chiasson and Archi as your other bottom 6 wingers, PRussel is just repetitive. In that case, Neal or Nygard would be better options.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Always been put off by the hate for the guy (usually another blog whose commenters rip him). He’s a depth forward that seems to work well with the group and if not for some snakebitten chances he might have 7 goals already in his NHL career. Would 7 goals change everyone’s idea of who this guy is? He’s depth player who doesn’t seem to need to play consistently to be effective and for $700K you need one or two Patrick Russells to fill out your roster in a cap league.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Always been put off by the hate for the guy (usually another blog whose commenters rip him). He’s a depth forward that seems to work well with the group and if not for some snakebitten chances he might have 7 goals already in his NHL career. Would 7 goals change everyone’s idea of who this guy is? He’s depth player who doesn’t seem to need to play consistently to be effective and for $700K you need one or two Patrick Russells to fill out your roster in a cap league.

I agree he's a hard worker and he comes to play every night so you have to respect the guy but I think the question is should he be playing in the bottom 6 ahead of guys like McLeod and Benson who have more potential upside than he has (covid restrictions and quarantine periods are obviously factors here).

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
58 NHL games now and counting... almost a full regular season

I know I will cheer if and when he scores his first goal. Pulling for the guy. He came close last night in his 2 second shift with McDrai lol. Maybe that's the solution.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
58 NHL games now and counting... almost a full regular season

I know I will cheer if and when he scores his first goal. Pulling for the guy. He came close last night in his 2 second shift with McDrai lol. Maybe that's the solution.

I’m still mad they didn’t feed him minutes beside McDrai in that Sens game.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I agree he's a hard worker and he comes to play every night so you have to respect the guy but I think the question is should he be playing in the bottom 6 ahead of guys like McLeod and Benson who have more potential upside than he has (covid restrictions and quarantine periods are obviously factors here).

Benson-McLeod-Marody are putting up unreal numbers together in the AHL. McLeod has never had this success as a pro, I really don't think it's hurting him. Benson has taken his game to another level and IMO won't be hurt at all improving his goal scoring and skating down in the AHL another season. Nothing wrong with spending your ELC continually improving in the AHL. I'd rather have Russell on the taxi squad than those guys. Russell's hard to play against, that's a good guy to have laying around. Given no preseason I see it as a no brainer.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Benson-McLeod-Marody are putting up unreal numbers together in the AHL. McLeod has never had this success as a pro, I really don't think it's hurting him. Benson has taken his game to another level and IMO won't be hurt at all improving his goal scoring and skating down in the AHL another season. Nothing wrong with spending your ELC continually improving in the AHL. I'd rather have Russell on the taxi squad than those guys. Russell's hard to play against, that's a good guy to have laying around. Given no preseason I see it as a no brainer.

So given what you have said here about Benson taking it to another level, do you protect him in the expansion draft?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
So given what you have said here about Benson taking it to another level, do you protect him in the expansion draft?

I suspect the Oilers leave him exposed thinking he's unlikely to be claimed. I'd be surprised if a more proven talent, likely a D, wasn't more attractive to Seattle. If they did target a guy like Benson I'd probably try to persuade them to take someone else if it was reasonable. I really like Benson but I don't know if the boots will allow him to play in the top 6. Players who you'd think would be held back by physical limitations have surprised before, I think of Zuccarello and Pavelski on the high end, and given Bensons results and outstanding vision and passing he could be a guy who does it. I wouldn't bet on it though and I suspect he may be a player similar in value and role to Pisani, except a passer rather than a shooter. A stabilizer who is solid and can hold his own in a variety of situations. I'm just not willing to write off top 6 potential either as his offense in the AHL is outstanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad