Confirmed with Link: Patrick Roy... Our new coach and Vice President Of Hockey Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've been wondering this as well, since RDS is reporting that the Avs contacted him to bring him aboard

Yea that's what peaked my interest. Also this report said, "Tourigny confirmed Roy reached out to gauge his level of interest in an assistant coaching position (Tourigny is indeed interested), but noted that Roy made no promises or guarantees of anything, even an interview."

But I get the sense they might have added that little tidbit to be safe, since nothing from the reports they cited seem to add the info that Patrick made no promises and what not.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...icking-tires-on-possible-colorado-assistants/

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If anyone still has any doubts read this article. Certainly put me at ease.

Bob Hartley on Patrick Roy

I suggest everyone read it. Gives you insight into just how much Roy wanted to coach.

"He doesn't accept mediocrity," Hartley told NHL.com via phone from Saskatoon, where he is at the 2013 MasterCard Memorial Cup. "He never accepted it from himself. I think that's what he's going to bring to this organization. If you don't work hard, you might be sitting in the stands."

"He already had a passion for this. He would come and sit in my office, ask me tons of questions on my drills. You know, 'I like this, but why are putting emphasis on that details versus that detail? Why are we doing this?' It was all from the matter that he wanted to complete this and put in the bank so that he could use it later on."

"We would spend hours," Hartley said. "He would send me clips of his team over the Internet and we would get on the phone. I'd have my computer with these clips in front of me, he'd have his clips in front of him. We'd say 'Go' and we would watch the clips and I'd tell him, 'Stop and rewind and where are you on your counter?' All kinds of stuff. He would ask me, 'Why does that happen?' or 'What do you think?'

There's other nice tidbits in there but I thought these stood out the most to me.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
If anyone still has any doubts read this article. Certainly put me at ease.

Bob Hartley on Patrick Roy

Great interview. This pretty much echoes what I've been hearing on SiriusXm NHL radio the past few days. Their hosts, interviews with guys like Guy Carbonneau and guest analysts all are highlighting Roy's passion, but they are all quick to point out his complete understanding of the game, as a player and coach. Not only the game on paper, or in theory but his understanding of a game as it is happening, of individual plays and moments within a game as they develop. I love the passion he brings and the fact that he won't accept mediocrity, but it's these guys saying how much he understands and studies the whole game that is lifting my excitement. I imagine that coaches who have those two attributes are coaches with the most potential to be elite and highly successful. And it will certainly be better than "Starting the game on time", "playing a full 60 minutes" and "we've got to be a team that's hard to play against"

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wonder if Roy is up to date with NHL to immediately start making roster decisions this off season as far as who comes who goes. Because from what i understand he is taking aggressive approach when he told the owners he will coach if they are willing to spend near or to the cap.

Is he gonna leave roster moves to Sakic and Sherman this year until he gets into NHL and gets more familiar with the Avs and every team and players through out the league before he actually starts making roster decisions?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
When Roy makes "roster decisions" it will probably be who gets sent up and down from Lake Erie. I highly doubt he's going to be actively pushing trades and signings, aside from saying I'd like ___ kind of player and am willing to give up ____.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
When Roy makes "roster decisions" it will probably be who gets sent up and down from Lake Erie. I highly doubt he's going to be actively pushing trades and signings, aside from saying I'd like ___ kind of player and am willing to give up ____.

It will probably be a committee to figure out what the team needs, I think Sakic, Billington and Sherman will still be in charge of getting the actual players, with Roy getting a say in who they should target.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Great interview. This pretty much echoes what I've been hearing on SiriusXm NHL radio the past few days. Their hosts, interviews with guys like Guy Carbonneau and guest analysts all are highlighting Roy's passion, but they are all quick to point out his complete understanding of the game, as a player and coach. Not only the game on paper, or in theory but his understanding of a game as it is happening, of individual plays and moments within a game as they develop. I love the passion he brings and the fact that he won't accept mediocrity, but it's these guys saying how much he understands and studies the whole game that is lifting my excitement. I imagine that coaches who have those two attributes are coaches with the most potential to be elite and highly successful. And it will certainly be better than "Starting the game on time", "playing a full 60 minutes" and "we've got to be a team that's hard to play against"

:laugh: Yeah, that was getting real old.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
When Roy makes "roster decisions" it will probably be who gets sent up and down from Lake Erie. I highly doubt he's going to be actively pushing trades and signings,

I'd wager anything that the exact opposite will be the case.

He didn't get the VP title for nothing.

aside from saying I'd like ___ kind of player and am willing to give up ____.

Well, I suspect every coach does that. Would expect Roy to also.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It will probably be a committee to figure out what the team needs, I think Sakic, Billington and Sherman will still be in charge of getting the actual players, with Roy getting a say in who they should target.

I think Sherman's been pretty much emasculated in the organization. Which is good, IMO.

I'm going to guess that Roy's strong personality will result in him getting the players he wants, regardless of who "makes the final decision". This may very well be a good thing. Don't know.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd wager anything that the exact opposite will be the case.

He didn't get the VP title for nothing.

For sure. Every coach probably gets a say in who gets sent down/called up. Roy will have much more input than that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My guess is it's 3-5 years. But we likely won't find out specifics until Tuesday unless Dater finds out over the weekend.

I think we'll be lucky to find out anything at all. They don't need to disclose any of that info like they have to with the players, and they usually don't.

Dater's gonna have to find some serious snitches to dig up info on his contract.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
FWIW...Here's a couple more things I've been hearing a lot on NHL radio but not seeing much of here: Most on the station are speculating that the deal is for 4 years (not sure where they got this number but that's what they're all saying). And most are talking about the VP addition to his title as a justification for his bloated salary. They're saying that other coaches/prospective coaches were licking their chops at the possibility that Roy's huge salary may set a new benchmark and put everyone in line for large bumps in pay. Speculation is that the VP title justifies the larger salary. Saying that he will have a say in personnel, but may not be on the same level as others who are Vice Presidents within their organizations. ----That's just what they're saying on NHL radio----

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
"we've got to be a team that's hard to play against"

:laugh: Yeah, that was getting real old.

no doubt. I think the literal translation is actually "I don't know what I'm doing, but when I watch teams coached by guys who do, they seem like they're really hard to play against. They sure are when we play them". So if I had one wish - just one wish I'd wish that I had the coaching skills to teach my team to be a team that was hard to play against. Since I don't, I'll just tell the boys: "Listen here! We've got to be a team that's hard to play against." ***<<please work, please work, please work>>***

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If it's true that having input on player personnel decisions was a deal breaker for Roy, expect him to use every bit of it as often as he can.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
If it's true that having input on player personnel decisions was a deal breaker for Roy, expect him to use every bit of it as often as he can.

I actually hope this is more true than just the "added title to justify salary" scenario. I trust that he knows the game and I trust him to implement his vision. Whether he does that with specific requests for acquisitions, specific requests for terminations, or loose requests for types of players, I do hope he has a say and helps scaffold the roster so he can implement his plan.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I actually hope this is more true than just the "added title to justify salary" scenario. I trust that he knows the game and I trust him to implement his vision. Whether he does that with specific requests for acquisitions, specific requests for terminations, or loose requests for types of players, I do hope he has a say and helps scaffold the roster so he can implement his plan.

I semi-expect St. Patrick to walk over to Florida and Tampa at the draft, and then beat them up for their draft picks.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
:laugh:You've given me something else to hope for. If only Chris Osgood worked for the Panthers' scouting department.

Gary Bettman "We have two trades to announce. The Florida Panthers trade the 2nd overall pick for David Jones and the Tampa Bay Lightning trade the 3rd overall pick for Greg Zanon. Also can we get medical staff to the Florida and Tampa Bay tables please."

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
:laugh:You've given me something else to hope for. If only Chris Osgood worked for the Panthers' scouting department.

Any ole Redwing will do, lol

Have Foote show up at the draft as well, and Stevie Y might give us the #3 for Zannon. :naughty:

(Sakic stays at our table smoking a cigar, like the Don)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad