Confirmed with Link: Patrick Roy... Our new coach and Vice President Of Hockey Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
If Boucher doesn't get approached by Dallas or Vancouver, perhaps he would consider taking an assistant spot in the meantime.

There are some very solid head coaches out there without job (Ruff and Vigneneault) and I'm not sure a guy like Boucher is guaranteed to find something this summer.

Dreger says Jim Nill has contacted Lindy Ruff and AV about the Dallas job. No word on Boucher yet.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Originally, the thinking I had was that Patrick would go for a close friend with little to no experience for one spot, with an established choice being brought in as the other assistant. I'm not sure which category Tourigny would fall into. Looks like he's taken the Huskies to the QMJHL 3rd round twice in 9 years, pretty much it. I'd still like the other choice to be a guy with some NHL experience behind the bench.

Don't assistant coaches usually split forward and defenseman focus? S**t TPS, I sure hope the Avs defensive-assistant-coach isn't the little experience guy.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Who in the world would want to be the Avs goalie coach, when the headcoach is the greatest goalie of all-time?

I'm sure they won't hire one and Roy will just do it himself.

Roy may pass on some advice but dedicating actual time I doubt. He has a team to manage.

And besides, a guy like Roy very likely could only pass fundamental pointers. Elites are elite for a reason and a lot of that reason is between the ears. You can't reach that.

varly needs someone who can give him dedicated time, analyzing his every move and giving feedback.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Originally, the thinking I had was that Patrick would go for a close friend with little to no experience for one spot, with an established choice being brought in as the other assistant. I'm not sure which category Tourigny would fall into. Looks like he's taken the Huskies to the QMJHL 3rd round twice in 9 years, pretty much it. I'd still like the other choice to be a guy with some NHL experience behind the bench.

I remember the rumor for a while was that he would bring in Hartley as an assistant if he got a HC gig. That seemed odd at the time, but I figured it had some merit if Hartley wasn't getting any HC offers, which was true since he was forced to coach in Europe. Obviously that ship has sailed though, unless Calgary makes a last minute change. That would have made a formidable coaching duo though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Boucher doesn't get approached by Dallas or Vancouver, perhaps he would consider taking an assistant spot in the meantime.

There are some very solid head coaches out there without job (Ruff and Vigneneault) and I'm not sure a guy like Boucher is guaranteed to find something this summer.

I would think Boucher would just be patient, and then at worst, someone would give him an AHL HC job in a year or something, or then he could take an assistant job if he wasn't getting many offers.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think Sherman's been pretty much emasculated in the organization. Which is good, IMO.

I'm going to guess that Roy's strong personality will result in him getting the players he wants, regardless of who "makes the final decision". This may very well be a good thing. Don't know.

In another Sakic/Elway parallel, Sherm was like Xanders in that "GM" was more honorific and the power lied somewhere else.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Don't assistant coaches usually split forward and defenseman focus? S**t TPS, I sure hope the Avs defensive-assistant-coach isn't the little experience guy.

It's not exactly always that way. Didn't someone say Roy ran the offense and PP in the Q? Odds are he needs an experienced defensive guy in that situation and an inexperienced offensive guy he can work with that will lighten his duties on the forwards.

My ideal situation at this point though is that the Avs bring in Housley to run the defense and special teams.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not exactly always that way. Didn't someone say Roy ran the offense and PP in the Q? Odds are he needs an experienced defensive guy in that situation and an inexperienced offensive guy he can work with that will lighten his duties on the forwards.

My ideal situation at this point though is that the Avs bring in Housley to run the defense and special teams.

He was just hired by Preds.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They did fire Horacek to fit in Housley and some here seems to like Horacek coaching defense.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I'm given them all a clean slate. I won't hold past transgressions against new leadership. Until it's a proven bad decision whoever they hire has my support.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Have faith, the Avs will find the right people to be assistants. They have been making good strides this offseason to legitimately turn things around. They will let Patrick decide who he wants on the bench just give it some time.

But Housley knows how to take the best out of EJ. He was responsible for EJ's best game of the year, and what a game that was!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I have 25 or more questions that I want answers to.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2013/05/25-questions-for-patrick-roy.html

Patrick Roy is set to be introduced as the new head coach and vice president of hockey operations for the Colorado Avalanche tomorrow morning in Denver. As a longtime Avalanche fan, I'm mixed on the hiring. I think he's a great fit in regards to his passion and desire to win, but he's not the greatest fit in regards to experience both managing and coaching at the NHL level.

His hiring brings with it a number of questions. As a fan of the team since Roy was first traded to the team in 1995, I want to be ensured that he is once again the right guy to guide them over the next 10 years. Below is a list of questions I would love to ask Patrick, if only I had the access to ask them and the ability to get 100% honest answers from him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
With the playoffs and all the draft talk as of late, I completely forgot about the press conference tomorrow. Hoping I can catch it at work.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
With the playoffs and all the draft talk as of late, I completely forgot about the press conference tomorrow. Hoping I can catch it at work.

Where would one watch if they were out of town...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Can't ask for a phone interview? Obviously no one can just call him but still, aren't you apart of the media or something to a degree?

Not really the point of the piece. It's more so that I actually would love to just sit down, pick his brain and get some real honest answers on things. I can assure you some media will ask some of those questions tomorrow and get fluff answers that are useless from my perspective.

And no, I'm not part of the media in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad