Patrick Nemeth (Nemo)

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
He won't sign a 2-way deal, which means he'll be sitting in the press box any time we want to only run with 6 D.

He would also block any call ups, unless their were injuries.

I don't see the point.

Block who? Graves? Meloche?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
He won't sign a 2-way deal, which means he'll be sitting in the press box any time we want to only run with 6 D.

He would also block any call ups, unless their were injuries.

I don't see the point.

That's not actually how 2-way deals work. A 2-way deal just means you get paid different amounts in the AHL and NHL. No matter what kind of deal he signed he'd need to pass through waivers, and he'd be claimed instantly.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
That's not actually how 2-way deals work. A 2-way deal just means you get paid different amounts in the AHL and NHL. No matter what kind of deal he signed he'd need to pass through waivers, and he'd be claimed instantly.
Yah I just assumed it meant he could be sent down without going through waivers. Either way we don't need Nemeth. At least I hope we don't.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Naw, I don't think keeping him around benefits him or the team.

Look, the Avs, going into last year's camp, stood to ice as many as four rookies--or barely-not-rookies with Bigras--on the blueline last season (Mironov, Bigras, Lindholm, Siemens) along with the vets (Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov, Barberio). In hindsight this would've been a disaster given how poorly all those guys fared in the NHL. So a last minute waiver claim from Dallas ended up giving the team a viable depth defender who was capable of playing the 2nd pairing with Barrie. Then the team got Sammy and things really started to solidify, Z played alongside Barrie and Nemeth moved to an effective shutdown pairing with Barbs, which was huge for the 10-game win streak.

He skates quite well for a big guy, doesn't shy away from blocking shots point blank or physical play along the boards, his shot is actually a bit underrated (I mean, it's not great but I love the fact he doesn't have a gigantic wind-up, it finds the net) and he's improved his not-great puckhandling skills a fair amount. He was not frustrating me nearly much as he tended to last season.

Now, all that said, he was a fantastic interim measure. But that's all he is. He doesn't need to settle as a 7th guy if he can get decent coin and a bigger role elsewhere. Conversely, just like Blake Comeau, there comes a time when the interim guy serves his purpose, and you move on when the young players are ready. They're ready. Even if Z doesn't make it back I just don't see Nemeth sticking around. But I could be wrong...but if he stays I fully expect them to get rid of Barberio, or maybe even Zadorov. And I think, either way, that'd be a mistake.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hanging onto Nemeth isn't a mistake, we aren't a rebuilding team anymore. If young guys want to get some NHL ice-time, they need to earn it. Yes we have Meloche and Timmins but neither will be NHL ready next year and could use at minimum, another year in the AHL. Graves while was refreshing in his call-up, his best is barely better than Nemeth's worst.

With that being said, it makes no sense for Nemeth to stick around here. He'll most likely get a 2-4 year deal in the 2.5-4 mil range and guaranteed #4-6 minutes, something we can't offer him. If he loves it here and wants to accept a 2 yr x 2 mil contract, that's a no brainer to me. If it gets to a point Timmins is fully healthy and pushes his way into the lineup, Nemeth will be an asset we can trade and get a mid round draft pick for.

Comeau's situation was completely different. We 100% could have used last year's Blake Comeau and he'd still be a benefit to the team, but he's 32 and will be on the decline. Nemeth is 27 and in his prime.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he'd find a better role and more $$$ on a different team. Buffalo could use a guy like him, I think at this point he might be an improvement over the rapidly declining Marco Scandella.

And ya know who else might? Tampa. They're going to be overhauling that blueline and don't have a ton of cap space, which means they might need some relatively inexpensive depth. Enter Nemeth.

If the Avs keep him around, meh, I won't scream bloody murder. I actually like the guy and his backpack quite a bit. I just don't think it's the best move for either side.

Reactions: MarkT

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Anyway, Zadorov need to stay, he will probably continue frustrating us with stupid/moody penalties but you can't drop a player like Zadarov. He is one of my NHL favorites and he isn't even Swedish unless he is a descendant of the Viking Rurik. ;-)

I believe the Avs soon will have some of the best defensive corps in the entire NHL. Nemeth would be really good for depth or if another defenseman gets injured but it's not likely he will stay.

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
One thing to keep in mind: Nemeth is at 250 NHL games, and 300 seems to be the magic number where NHL defensemen figure it out and settle into being the player they will be until age or injuries derail them. Based on his play this year compared to last, I think peak Nemeth will be a beast of a 3rd pairing guy who can step up to 2nd pair in a pinch. I basically see him becoming another Ian Cole. As I see it, he's competing with Zadorov, Cole and EJ for the same kind of role with the team, and I think if we re-sign him for another 2 years or so he could realistically overtake at least two of them as age catches up to EJ and Cole, and Zadorov levels out as what he is now (he's just about at that 300 game mark: 292).

So I agree with most people here that the smart thing from his perspective is to go elsewhere (I still think Tampa and Toronto are great options), but if he's willing the Avs should definitely try to keep him for a couple more years at least. I think with his style of play he can be an effective PK/shutdown guy for the next 5+ years, and I think it's really important to have depth in that kind of player, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I see Nemeth looking at Cole's contract and wanting something similar.... I imagine he will get 3.5-3.75m per. A bit rich for the Avs' blood with Cole around. Sucks we will lose a useful player, but that is free agency for ya.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'd like to keep him but we now have Makar, Z, EJ, Barrie, Zadorov and Cole as regulars. I doubt he'll want to be subjected to the Barberio role.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hes a solid #6 but hes already making more than #6 money and likely asks for even more next year.

Not gonna lie though... if it was between Nemeth at 2.5M for the next 3 years or Zadorov at 4.0M for 3 years.... I'd be taking Nemo.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Only reason to trade Z is to bring in something valuable. Otherwise it's a no brainer to keep the younger D man. Nemeth was still splitting time between the AHL and NHL at Zadorov's age. Z's a clear cut NHLer already and gets better and less inconsistent every year.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
The Avs can afford to carry Nemeth at or 3m for 3 years. Or the stability of a 2.5m for 4 years type of deal.

It would be a benefit going into the expansion draft.

If the only player worth taking is Compher (assuming EJ is bought out or waives the NMC) he's a guarantee to be taken.

With a guy like Nemeth who's cheap and could be seen as a hidden gem. If defenders are scarce but tweener forwards can be plucked from other teams. Maybe Seattle bites on taking Nemeth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad