Value of: Patrick Marleau

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
With the signing of Bodeker and Meier and Golobin waiting Does he have any value I no he had a NMC but if it was waived what is return ?

The Boedker signing and Meier/Goldy doesn't matter much. Marleau is only signed for one more year. He is insurance in case Meier/Goldy doesn't work out. Meier hasn't even played an NHL game yet and Goldobin only has 9 games, so either one of them could flame out. Boedker is there for depth scoring, which we really needed even with Marleau.

IF Meier/Goldy break out and they've cemented a spot (a la Donskoi or Hertl) THEN we either let Marleau go or, more likely, re-sign him to a much cheaper/shorter contract.

The only reason we would trade Marleau is if we're out of the playoffs by the deadline, which is highly unlikely.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Are you guys going for it this year or rebuilding? Marleau has got one year left on his deal and maybe 2 productive seasons in him. I can't tell what you guys are doing...

The Canucks want to make the playoffs. I'd say they're in a similar situation that the Sharks were in a few years ago: aging core transitioning to a younger core. The age gap b/w the Sedins & young players is a lot wider though; so it's a lot riskier since the old core could possibly carry the team to the playoffs, but would likely get eliminated early (unless the young players emerge as very good top-6 guys next season).

Are you intentionally trying to piss off Sharks fans. Start with Horvat and work from there

Are you even a Sharks fan?, or just a Canucks hater?
Marleau's had a good career, but keep in mind that he'll be 37yo when the season starts, and is a year from free agency. Horvat's just starting his career.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The Canucks want to make the playoffs. I'd say they're in a similar situation that the Sharks were in a few years ago: aging core transitioning to a younger core. The age gap b/w the Sedins & young players is a lot wider though; so it's a lot riskier since the old core could possibly carry the team to the playoffs, but would likely get eliminated early (unless the young players emerge as very good top-6 guys next season).

Are you even a Sharks fan?, or just a Canucks hater?
Marleau's had a good career, but keep in mind that he'll be 37yo when the season starts, and is a year from free agency. Horvat's just starting his career.

I can tell you for sure that taking on Ryan Miller isn't gonna happen.

Marleaus value in a vacuum is likely prospect plus first.

niel094

Jan 13, 2011
Marleau's value is that of the Sedins. The Sedins will give you slightly more offense but Marleau is great defensively, he can kill penalties, he can hit, and wherever you slot him in the lineup he will produce regardless of his line mates. He spent the majority of last season on the 3rd/2nd line and still had 25 goals 46 points

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Absolutely worthless player who wouldn't fetch more than a seventh round draft pick. This guy is the laziest player in the league and it's very likely he will not score more than 10-20 points next year. He deserves to be booed out of San Jose and never welcomed back. If the 1997 draft were conducted again he most likely would not even go drafted.

come on. even I can admit he's worth at least a 6th.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Marleau's value is that of the Sedins. The Sedins will give you slightly more offense but Marleau is great defensively, he can kill penalties, he can hit, and wherever you slot him in the lineup he will produce regardless of his line mates. He spent the majority of last season on the 3rd/2nd line and still had 25 goals 46 points

I can tell you for sure that taking on Ryan Miller isn't gonna happen.

Marleaus value in a vacuum is likely prospect plus first.

Fair enough.

Also just noticed that Marleau has a NMC, so that (along w/ the price tag) pretty much takes Vancouver out of the running. It also seems like he's a lifer w/ the Sharks organization.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I believe the reporting that he did ask for a trade before the season started, but I really doubt he still wants one. Remember, when the request happened, we had just come off one of our most drama-filled years ever, with all the fallout from the reverse sweep followed by a soul-crushingly bad season. Now, we're at the opposite end of the spectrum from drama, they had a great locker room all year, AND we just had the best postseason in Sharks history. There's no reason he'd still want out now, not after the season we just had. So, he's not going anywhere. He's going to retire a Shark, and his will be probably the first jersey number the Sharks organization ever retires.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I believe the reporting that he did ask for a trade before the season started, but I really doubt he still wants one. Remember, when the request happened, we had just come off one of our most drama-filled years ever, with all the fallout from the reverse sweep followed by a soul-crushingly bad season. Now, we're at the opposite end of the spectrum from drama, they had a great locker room all year, AND we just had the best postseason in Sharks history. There's no reason he'd still want out now, not after the season we just had. So, he's not going anywhere. He's going to retire a Shark, and his will be probably the first jersey number the Sharks organization ever retires.

Correct. Marleau only goes if he wants to. Why would he after the best season in Sharks history? He is a Sharks lifer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad