Value of: Patrick Laine

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Curious to see what fans around the league think his trade value is, plus he's a RFA next summer looking for a new big contract......what do you think his new contract will look like.

Mavrik112

Aug 7, 2020
Laine could probably fetch a mid to late first, second round pick, top prospect and a replacement RW putting up 30-40 points a year

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think next year we take one last look at him. I'd love to keep him, but say we draft AL11 and outperforms him he's pretty much done as a Jet unless Connor/Wheeler is moved to centre.

Say if we draft AL11 if we win the lottery things will be a ton more interesting, which would lead up to the Jets with cap problems.

Though if we draft Lafreniere and Laine needs a change, I think we would do a trade around Eichel and Laine.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I think next year we take one last look at him. I'd love to keep him, but say we draft AL11 and outperforms him he's pretty much done as a Jet unless Connor/Wheeler is moved to centre.

Say if we draft AL11 if we win the lottery things will be a ton more interesting, which would lead up to the Jets with cap problems.

Though if we draft Lafreniere and Laine needs a change, I think we would do a trade around Eichel and Laine.

Even as a Jets fan I can tell you Laine doesn't have that sort of value.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I’m curious what else would you expect?
Hell of a lot more than that. You'd have 30 teams lining up foaming at the mouth for that deal. Laine is still putting it all together and has been one of the top scorers since entering the league and just turned 22nd this April. If the team that's hoping to trade for him has their 1st thats mid to late, there better be 2. And top prospect on one team could be well outside another's top 5. I don't have a specific trade to propose, but Laine isn't going for a runner up/2nd best tradeable asset on deadline day price.

Mavrik112

Aug 7, 2020

But then you would leave Buffalo with probably the worst center depth in the league. Doesn’t that make it a bad trade for them, regardless of the other pieces moving in the deal?

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I thought L.A needed a center as much as Winnipeg?

Not a Kings fan, but they do have Kopitar as their veteran and two of their top prospects, Turcotte and Vilardi, are both centers, not to mention a few other decent C prospects. I still find it unlikely that they consider moving it, but from an outsider's perspective it looks they could afford to for the right return.

Reactions: BatVader

Mavrik112

Aug 7, 2020
Hell of a lot more than that. You'd have 30 teams lining up foaming at the mouth for that deal. Laine is still putting it all together and has been one of the top scorers since entering the league and just turned 22nd this April. If the team that's hoping to trade for him has their 1st thats mid to late, there better be 2. And top prospect on one team could be well outside another's top 5. I don't have a specific trade to propose, but Laine isn't going for a runner up/2nd best tradeable asset on deadline day price.

You can already scratch 2/3 of the league because they simply don’t have the cap space to acquire Laine unless similar money goes the other way. Some teams also just don’t have the assets to acquire him while some teams probably just don’t have a need for the player.

Also, any team acquiring Laine would probably be in the upper half of the standing meaning you’re not very likely to get a high first round pick. I don’t doubt the value of Laine and how many teams would be interested, it’s just expecting two first round pick, a second round pick, a top prospect - Let’s say grade A and a replacement player isn’t something I see any team packaging for a winger.. not matter how good he is.

Not a Kings fan, but they do have Kopitar as their veteran and two of their top prospects, Turcotte and Vilardi, are both centers, not to mention a few other decent C prospects. I still find it unlikely that they consider moving it, but from an outsider's perspective it looks they could afford to for the right return.

You’re probably right although Vilardi doesn’t have that star potential anymore and Turcotte had an OK but not that great season in the NCAA. Byfield would seal the deal for good for their need at C

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
You can already scratch 2/3 of the league because they simply don’t have the cap space to acquire Laine unless similar money goes the other way. Some teams also just don’t have the assets to acquire him while some teams probably just don’t have a need for the player.

Also, any team acquiring Laine would probably be in the upper half of the standing meaning you’re not very likely to get a high first round pick. I don’t doubt the value of Laine and how many teams would be interested, it’s just expecting two first round pick, a second round pick, a top prospect - Let’s say grade A and a replacement player isn’t something I see any team packaging for a winger.. not matter how good he is.
The value would have to be equal or greater to let him go. Players like that are rare, and even more so rarely traded in their early and prime years. Not saying that it would have to be two 1sts a 2nd, top prospect and replacement roster player because that's way to broad to assess the value of the assets coming back in return.

Mavrik112

Aug 7, 2020
Dylan Cozens is a good prospect...

He is but he’s not even pro yet. Mittelstadt was a good prospect as well and it didn’t pan out. There’s no logic in that move from a Buffalo point of view unless they want to tank another 3-4 years.

Mavrik112

Aug 7, 2020
The value would have to be equal or greater to let him go. Players like that are rare, and even more so rarely traded in their early and prime years. Not saying that it would have to be two 1sts a 2nd, top prospect and replacement roster player because that's way to broad to assess the value of the assets coming back in return.

But the fact that he’s a winger and Winnipeg would be looking to acquire a C means you will never get equal value nevermind greater. Everyone knows there’s a premium on LHD and an even bigger premium on RHD and Centers.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
But the fact that he’s a winger and Winnipeg would be looking to acquire a C means you will never get equal value nevermind greater. Everyone knows there’s a premium on LHD and an even bigger premium on RHD and Centers.
I never once said anything about a C. And if a C was in the deal, it would probably be the top prospect or picked with 1 or more of the picks coming back in return. I think you're getting another poster here mixed up. I simply stated you late 1st, 2nd and top prospect and 30-40 point player was garbage. If Laine is going for a 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 asset trade, its going to involve a similar age/point production/pedigree/high ceiling player.
Winnipeg is not trading Laine at a discount because he's a winger. He's a rare talent that fills the net.

Reactions: Mavrik112

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I thought L.A needed a center as much as Winnipeg?

They do. Some people like the flashy toys. I would not move that pick, draft the big center and build the right way. Team that try to speed up a rebuild usually make said rebuild last twice as long as it should.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

I think if Buffalo was willing to move Jack they would want a center as the main piece coming back. They need more centers as it is.

Mavrik112

Aug 7, 2020
They do. Some people like the flashy toys. I would not move that pick, draft the big center and build the right way. Team that try to speed up a rebuild usually make said rebuild last twice as long as it should.

That’s what I thought. If you look back at most of the top 6 wingers traded in the past decade most of then were traded for picks and prospects - mostly picks.

That’s probably the reason why you keep hearing recently that teams might be willing to move back if they won the #1 pick because as good as Lafreniere will be, he will probably never have the value a Byfield will when they both are in their prime.

It’s also the reason why whenever you see a guy like Laine, Pacioretty, Ehlers, Oshie (all good top pairing wingers) put on the market and the ask is a young center or close to NHL ready C prospect with clear top 6 potential you hear crickets. Teams don’t want to trade them, especially not for wingers.

Also, just to be clear, I’m not bashing Laine or any other wingers. It’s just the reality we live in.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad