Patrick LaForge Appreciation Thread

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
One of the few guys that actually did a really god job for his function with the team.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Yeah I do think it's a we bit strange how he's out of the door before half a dozen others.

Ssseth

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton
One of the few guys that actually did a really god job for his function with the team.
Yeah I do think it's a we bit strange how he's out of the door before half a dozen others.

Agreed. The real shame is he likely was a casualty of Kevin Lowe's mismanagement as President of Hockey Ops. Since Katz is his buddy and didn't want to outright fire him, someone had to take the bullet. Pending the 1PM presser of course...

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
He did a terrific job getting the Oilers off of life support in his time. That being said, I personally felt the Oilers were heading back towards the old 'take it or leave it' type of mentality to the product that was around prior to the EIG.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't like his marketing. Felt he was disingenuous much of the time and with comments like "the weather" that insulted the intelligence of the fanbase.

Also Laforges involvement in, and preening over the Octane Girls to me bordered on creepy.

Comments didn't help either;

"They are not football cheerleaders with pompoms and things like that. They kind of orchestrate when to get up, dance and get excited."

LaForge also said, "I think fans will be intrigued. They will add spice to the evening."

So here we are and the Flames org is calling out sexism on the Red mile and we have old boys club misogyny objectifying females.

I'd rather the org be a little more enlightened and get with the times.

Good thing they're cleaning house here.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He did a terrific job getting the Oilers off of life support in his time. That being said, I personally felt the Oilers were heading back towards the old 'take it or leave it' type of mentality to the product that was around prior to the EIG.

I can agree with that thought.

Fire Lowe

Nov 19, 2013
He hated Lowe..

and for that alone should be celebrated. A lot went on behind the scenes that has never been reported.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Don't like his marketing. Felt he was disingenuous much of the time and with comments like "the weather" that insulted the intelligence of the fanbase.

Also Laforges involvement in, and preening over the Octane Girls to me bordered on creepy.

"They are not football cheerleaders with pompoms and things like that. They kind of orchestrate when to get up, dance and get excited."

LaForge also said, "I think fans will be intrigued. They will add spice to the evening."

So here we are and the Flames org is calling out sexism on the Red mile and we have old boys club misogyny objectifying females.

Well said. I can never forgive him for the Edge jersey.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

I hardly have ever even noticed the octane girls but those are obviously marketing towards a certain segment.

He helped take a brand that was beaten down and in trouble and increased merchandise, made big changes to the concessions and such, helped the team not only sell out but have a waiting list, was a big help in securing the new arena. Was the idea man in one of the most popular things in the NHL, that being the winter classic. And doing all of this while the team itself was being run into he ground.

I obviously do not agree with some of the things above that he did on a personal level but for doing what he was supposed to he was very successful.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I hardly have ever even noticed the octane girls but those are obviously marketing towards a certain segment.

He helped take a brand that was beaten down and in trouble and increased merchandise, made big changes to the concessions and such, helped the team not only sell out but have a waiting list, was a big help in securing the new arena. Was the idea man in one of the most popular things in the NHL, that being the winter classic. And doing all of this while the team itself was being run into he ground.

I obviously do not agree with some of the things above that he did on a personal level but for doing what he was supposed to he was very successful.

My concern is Laforge brought beer level lowest common denominator marketing complete with sexism to the fold. imo this guy was like an aging Sammy Hagar without the wig. A guy stuck in the past.

You can market a product many different ways. Laforge chose the easiest ways and pandered in approaches that cheapened the product and even how people view the org. That's unfortunate. I'd prefer marketing and PR management that holds the logo in higher esteem.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
My concern is Laforge brought beer level lowest common denominator marketing complete with sexism to the fold. imo this guy was like an aging Sammy Hagar without the wig. A guy stuck in the past.

You can market a product many different ways. Laforge chose the easiest ways and pandered in approaches that cheapened the product and even how people view the org. That's unfortunate. I'd prefer marketing and PR management that holds the logo in higher esteem.

Replacement - are you actually saying you agree with a move made by the Oilers organization in getting rid of LaForge?

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I honestly think the beginning of the end for him was during the arena ordeal. He was quite soft-spoken and cautious, at least in public, when Katz and the organization were really trying to bludgeon the city to cough up hundreds of millions.

Anyway, the Esks sure could use a guy with a finger on the community's pulse. I hope there's some mutual tire-kicking to that end. Would love to see LaForge stick around the city sports scene.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Well he did work for Molsons for a lot of years. :)

Know what other idea he came up with while with molsons? The beer combo pack. (As in being able to buy a 12 pack of beer that was half light and half regular or whatever.)

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

I think the Octane Girls are a success. As are the many things that LaForge improved on here. I often disliked his attitude and tbh his bravo leaned too far toward outright arrogance, but like you said, he got results.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Always thought he was the most dishonest ******* of them all. Go tell lies elsewhere.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
This guy always rubbed me the wrong way, but it appears he got some results at least.

Lowe on the other hand made a lot of enemies and did jack all. :laugh:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Ive met the guy hes the biggest tool. Made a speech was talking about Fort Mac how its so dirty and there are old dutch bags all over the ground and awful service in resturants and how he walks on the concourse before games to make sure everything is clean.

Great paying Laforge 1million a year to be a glorified janitor. The fact that a know nothing business man like Kevin Lowe is now doing his role shows how ceremonial it is and he was.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Apparently there's some real bad blood between LaForge and Roger Millions:

Last edited:

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I don't know LaForge and have never met the guy. What I have read and been told about him sounds typical of men in similar positions all over the continent. They are power brokers and have all of the arrogance that comes with that. It is seemingly crucial they be that way in order to do what they do. The Oilers are better for having him be that way than they would have been without him. It makes sense that he was not going to stay with the regime change that happened. The difference between LaForge and somebody like Lowe is most obvious in that aspect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad