Post-Game Talk (GBU): Patrick Kane Scores and the Hawks Win

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
G:
Reinhart better than last game. The kid is learning.
4th line taking numbers. Both D-Lo and Mitchell had some good hits. D-Lo was far more visible than last game.
Girgs.
Myers and Gorges at least look like a solid NHL-pair.

B:
Well, most of the rest.

U:
Fell asleep between the second and third period. Scoreboard tells me that so did the Sabres.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I'm wondering about McCormick. I've never been high on him but he's a good soldier. However, he's been invisible for these first two games. Against the Blue Jays that was true for the entire 4th line, but last night I thought both Mitchell and Delauriers (especially the latter) had some good energy shifts where they finnished checks and reminded Blackhawks defensemen to keep their heads up. McCormick? Not so much.

Is it about a role he's being asked to play, to kind of stay back and be more of a responsible center? Because if that's the case, I would rather they just promote Larsson. Is he perhaps battling some sort of injury? Because he didn't get much ice time in the pre-season and from what I understand, Flynn took his place in practice.

It's very early to draw any conclusions, of course, but I just feel that McCormick doesn't have a lot of tools, so if he's not using those he has, he's pretty much useless.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm wondering about McCormick. I've never been high on him but he's a good soldier. However, he's been invisible for these first two games. Against the Blue Jays that was true for the entire 4th line, but last night I thought both Mitchell and Delauriers (especially the latter) had some good energy shifts where they finnished checks and reminded Blackhawks defensemen to keep their heads up. McCormick? Not so much.

Is it about a role he's being asked to play, to kind of stay back and be more of a responsible center? Because if that's the case, I would rather they just promote Larsson. Is he perhaps battling some sort of injury? Because he didn't get much ice time in the pre-season and from what I understand, Flynn took his place in practice.

It's very early to draw any conclusions, of course, but I just feel that McCormick doesn't have a lot of tools, so if he's not using those he has, he's pretty much useless.

That whole fourth line needs a shake-up. I think Flynn needs to go in and I wouldn't object to him going in at center, with McCormick at wing or scratched for a couple games. There's nothing wrong with rotating those guys around to see what shakes out, especially with how long a season it is for a guy like McCormick.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
That whole fourth line needs a shake-up. I think Flynn needs to go in and I wouldn't object to him going in at center, with McCormick at wing or scratched for a couple games. There's nothing wrong with rotating those guys around to see what shakes out, especially with how long a season it is for a guy like McCormick.

I agree. But Nolan is about as loyal as it comes. To a fault. I don't see McCormick being scratched any time soon.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree. But Nolan is about as loyal as it comes. To a fault. I don't see McCormick being scratched any time soon.

While I agree Nolan is very loyal and to a fault at times. Not sure how that really applies to McCormick playing over Flynn. Nolan played Flynn a ton last year and praised him frequently. In fact he had Flynn longer than McCormick. I'm not sure how loyalty is the deciding factor. I'm guessing a vet over a kid would be the more likely factor in this. And I think it applies to Mitchell more so than McComick since Flynn was rotating on the wing with him.

That said, I want to see Flynn back in the lineup. He's better than any of the current members of the 4th line.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Hodgson was moved to wing to reduce his defensive responsibility. So far he has been disappointing on that front. Several times I've seen him back check only to stop hustling once he got to our zone. Its as if he is allergic to defensive play in our zone. Why hustle to get to our zone only to stop once you get there? I can live with the disjointed offensive play since he's still adjusting to wing and changing line mates. But his defensive game is no where near where it needs to be right now.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Hodgson was moved to wing to reduce his defensive responsibility. So far he has been disappointing on that front. Several times I've seen him back check only to stop hustling once he got to our zone. Its as if he is allergic to defensive play in our zone. Why hustle to get to our zone only to stop once you get there? I can live with the disjointed offensive play since he's still adjusting to wing and changing line mates. But his defensive game is no where near where it needs to be right now.

Bang on Josh, I agree completely with you on Hodgson. Watching him throughout the pre-season and the two regular season games I almost detect an element of arrogance to his game...like he is going to be the star of the show offensively this year so defense and passing to his line mates be damned!

I found myself thinking multiple times yesterday that if this continues we should seriously consider moving him out. A reactionary thought for sure, but quite the transition for a fan who considers himself a Hodgson supporter.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
His defensive game probably won't improve any further, at least how I see it. Either that or he just doesn't care. I cannot fathom the coaching letting him do this or telling him how to play this way.

Does anyone knows if coaches past or present or players have said he's hard to coach or shape? Maybe he is like that, or he just doesn't have the defensive IQ/awareness. And to me, he still is very weak on his skating. I think he's going to end up getting less icetime/moved if he doesn't fix that.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
One thing that really pisses me off about Nolan (and remember I'm a huge fan of him) is the fact he doesn't match up lines AT ALL.

I remember when their 1st line in the first period was up against our 4th line, and Hossa just went ape ***** on them and almost scored like 3x in one shift, and ended up at least drawing a penalty (i think on deslauriers)

Another thing is his absolute love and man crush of veteran players. Just because they've been in the league longer doesn't mean they're better. The prime example of this is playing Meszaros and Benoit over Ristolainen a lot more. I seriously don't get it. Let him frecking play and learn. There's one thing to "slow cook" a prospect, and there's another to baby and shelter them which might end up hurting them when in reality they should be playing more minutes.

And if Zadorov is scratched over guys like Benoit and Meszaros, why not just send him back to juniors so he can play 25 minutes a night? Rather than just sitting in the press box.
Play him for 9 games, and if you wanna send him back then do it right after, other wise play the kid. He's already better than Mes and Benoit by a mile. Let him learn.

If he tries to play too ridiculously patient then Nolan's gonna end up gone in 2 years. I do NOT want that. i think he's a good coach, but this one thing of his just really sets me off.

I guess I'm happy that it's a tank season anyways, if we're actually competing I guess it would matter, but I just wanna see these young guns develop and play a full season.
Really hope Grigorenko comes up and plays soon. I'd rather see Girgensons on his wing and Stewart on the other wing, and push Foligno to the 3rd/4th lines...that's what kind of player Foligno is. He's not a 2nd liner, he's a 3rd/4th line grinder...and I think he can be a pretty darn good one at that.

I understand the frustration because its more fun to watch someone like Risto play than our current abomination 2nd pairing. But I get why they are doing what they are doing. They want to ease Risto into the season. I know you and a some others don't like that but its a fairly normal thing to do with a kid his age. Plus he's paired with Weber a player we would all agree is most effective in 3rd pairing minutes. When he gets more, he gets in over his head and his play suffers. The amount they have played to this point is a big contributing factor as to why they've played well.

Right now they are in a bit of a jam with Pysyk injured. They don't want to saddle Risto with a partner thats struggling if they can help it. I think thats why they ultimately put Benoit back with Mez after splitting them up in practice after GM#1. They also don't want to pair another kid (Zads) with Risto either. The only other option is Strachan who is another righty and a fringe NHLer. Not exactly ideal to pair them with one on their off side. So right now they keep an effective pairing of Weber/Risto together giving them minutes that help their play.

I also don't see how this will hurt his development. If he is still getting these minutes mid season and into the back half of the year. Then I can see having an issue. But for right now I don't see the problem.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I do wonder whats going on with Pysyk. He's outside the window we were told for his injury (1-2 weeks) Are they holding out taking him of IR to keep Zads here? If so why if he isn't going to play? Or is his injury more severe than originally thought?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
His defensive game probably won't improve any further, at least how I see it. Either that or he just doesn't care. I cannot fathom the coaching letting him do this or telling him how to play this way.

Does anyone knows if coaches past or present or players have said he's hard to coach or shape? Maybe he is like that, or he just doesn't have the defensive IQ/awareness. And to me, he still is very weak on his skating. I think he's going to end up getting less icetime/moved if he doesn't fix that.

Its confusing because the hard part with offensive players is usually to get them to haul ass to get back. Hodgson actually does that for the most part. Then bizarrely stops skating once he gets in our zone or near the guy he is responsible for. Then he starts starts reaching for them. Many times taking a bad angle thus reducing his chances of making a play further.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Its confusing because the hard part with offensive players is usually to get them to haul ass to get back. Hodgson actually does that for the most part. Then bizarrely stops skating once he gets in our zone or near the guy he is responsible for. Then he starts starts reaching for them. Many times taking a bad angle thus reducing his chances of making a play further.

When he does that and starts reaching to me says he has a bad defensive plan/strategy/needs to learn to keep up and keep moving. He'll haul all he wants but if he's coasting and reaching he will end up in more trouble. I don't know if they're trying to fix that or what, but it's super detrimental. I saw a lot of that live Thursday, he seemed to get beaten out and then was struggling with damage control on his man. It's infuriating to me. To me it's safe saying he has a bad way of trying to stay on his man/zone and it'll continue hurting his play and ice time if he doesn't try to do it better/do something else. Maybe I'm a little harsh on him after being so hopeful but still.

kjohnny

Jul 14, 2013
Iowa
G: Myers punching Shaw in the face.
Girgensons scoring in both games.

B: Getting outshot significantly again.

U: Meszaros & Benoit
Looking like the same team as last year, really.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
I really hope Reinhart and Zemgus will get some PP time in next game. Zemgus got like 20 seconds in the end. :D

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Afinogenov-itis? He tries, but has no ****ing clue what to actually do?

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Loving Mike Weber's game this year. Definitely a bright spot.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Good
-2nd Period by team
-Girgensons game, much better from puck drop to final buzzer
-Weber, quietly having his bi-annual good year, seems every two years he has good seasons
-Reinhart's improvement, many times trying to cover Kane, did fairly well.

Bad
-1st Period by team
-Hodgson's game, again.

Ugly
-3rd Period by team
-Moulson, invisible on the year so far.
-Mes and Ben pairing

If we can have a year full of the game Buffalo played in the 2nd period, I would be a happy enough man even if we went winless. It seems Nolan is in tank mode as well. How can he justify giving Mes and Benoit minutes on the PP when they have stunk up the joint at even strength.

You want to talk about EARNING minutes, Weber(I can't believe I'm about to say this) has deserved to play more minutes with how well he's played so far. Why is Gionta on the RW, especially on the PP? His options for where and how he can pass are limited, you pretty much telling the other team, when we have it over here, he's just going to pass it to the point.

McCormick is showing the effects of his concussions. I think his playing days are numbered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad