Post-Game Talk (GBU): Patrick Kane Scores and the Hawks Win

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Good

Girgensons had a heck of a game, scoring and laying the body. Creating chances with speed
Ennis getting a shorty
Stewart thought played alright
Reinhart made some real nice plays, patient with the puck

Bad

Special Teams
Slow Start
Enroth getting shellacked
Gionta
I want more from Foligno
Hodgson defensively
47 sog against

Ugly
Benoit
Meszaros -4

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
It almost physically hurt to watch how the Hawks shifted gears and started to toy around with the Sabres during the last 10 minutes of the game.

That was beyond a Canada-Latvia-tier mismatch.

I think we need both McDavid and Eichel.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Reinhart had a pretty good game it seemed like. Much better than CBJ.

Predictable outcome is predictable. ..

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yea, where is the Reinhart was terrible crowd from last game? Give him credit now guys. He looked better. Right? Right?

Overall the team looked like an AHL team compared to the Hawks. 80 to go.

Next game.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
G: Girgs, Risto and Reinhart had good games.

B: Our FA signings have been underwhelming(Gionta and Mouson) to

U: near terrible(Mez and Benoit). Lets see what Zads can do already.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Quite a few passengers. Moulson, Gionta, Hodgson to name a few. 61-41 are every bit as bad as Weber-McBain. Enroth was junk.

Ennis, Girgensons, Mitchell, Myers, and Gorges played hard and played well.

Konix

Lurkin'
Jul 7, 2013
Hamburg, NY
G:
- Zemgod
- Reinhart
- Myers' retaliation
- Ennis is the most entertaining player we have
- The music selection. Seriously, rock on.

B:
- Most of the team was invisible
- Enroth needs to make some of those saves
- PP

U:
- Shaw's spear
- Getting scored on by Carcillo
- Quenneville

absolutely%20small.png
:
- Meszaros and Benoit. Downright cringeworthy.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I only saw he third period. So I will take on faith someone looked good. I saw a dispirited, slow team who could not-again-handle a forechecking faster team that constantly used moving screens to let the puck carrier move to the slot unencumbered. Of our D only Myers seemed interested enough to try to rush the puck or hit anyone. Most of our team could not connect with a pass to a willing date at a Sadie Hawkins dance. The Hawks are a more skilled, faster, better coached team from what I saw. Just what we already knew and why we are in the rebuilding process.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
This is going to be a long season if those of us who are pro tanking don't start couching Ben-Mez play in celebratory terms. I mean, it's October and they're full tank.

I can't believe I was worried.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
G
-Ennis
-Risto
-Girgs, although I didnt really notice him very much after his goal
-Reinhart and his line
-Myers falcon punching Shaw

B
-everyone else was invisible
-enroth...well he wasn't bad, but not good

U
-Benoit-Meszaros
-NYI+STL win
-carolina's lineup after E. Staal goes down:
If E.Staal is out, projected line-up with goals scored last year in parenthesis...LOL

Tlusty (16)-R. Nash(10)-Semin(22)
Gerbe (16)-Rask(0)-Lindholm(9)
Malone(3)-McClement(4)-Brown(0)
Terry(0) - AHL Callup(0) - AHL Callup(0)

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
-If Mes plays the next game then there is no doubt the whole intent of this season is dead last. The only reason he shouldn't be dropped off the team immediately is the salary floor. I don't want to see him play anymore. Ever
-I was originally going to give Benoit benefit of the doubt, but he has no business playing in this league as the third period went on to show. Terrible

We have four young defensemen who should be replacing these two immediately. The expected rookie mistakes aren't as bad as the tire fire these two displayed. I can't watch future games if they are going to get more than a few minutes per game.

-Weber was invisible tonight, in a good way. I never would've thought I'd say that.
-Risto was making some mistakes, but it's hard to blame him in many of those situations. Hopefully those jitters go as time goes on. I'm not worried about him. He still has some confidence to gain

-I don't understand the GDT hate for Myers. I had no problem with his penalty, the game called for it. Poor officiating, which the refs obviously made a few make-up calls later on for at least. He needs to step up into the play a few more times a game, carrying the puck the whole way, but he is looking better now than his slump in years prior. His pokecheck just ends so many plays, he is good to have back there, even with his pricetag
-Gorges is solid

-Girgs is our best player. Refreshing to see

-I think Gionta touched the puck four times all game. Completely invisible. Not sure what to think about 3 years of him. Hopefully he is looked up to on the bench, but if he can't justify his place in the lineup, I don't know how long that will last
-Hodgson was terrible. His defensive plays were awful and every forecheck/cycle ended on his stick. Just terrible

-Reinhart was making rookie mistakes. However, he looked like an NHLer making rookie mistakes. He was also getting a fair amount of minutes out there. He flubbed up only against some of the best players in the league I'm not too worried about those. I can see the upside

-Stewart is fun to watch. He isn't a power forward like some people say he is, just a quick forward who likes to hit. If he keeps this up then I will be very disappointed if he doesn't re-sign
-No comment on Foligno other than the puck died on his stick too much

-MES is a fast line. Not the top-tier players to go to for a last-minute clutch goal, but good enough to be a line the other team can ignore. If only they were a second line and not a first we'd be somewhere

-Deslaur gives me mixed emotions. I have to remind myself that he needs to be compared to stonehands, not a second liner. His penalty was stupid though.
-Mitchell made some hits and didn't do anything wrong out there. Rotating Flynn into the fourth line is something neither of these players showed why he shouldn't be, but they didn't show much reason to demand for it. A Kaleta return will make this story change, but for now the 4th line seems stable with this rotation

-What the hell was that powerplay. Drop pass zone entry into a collapsing box for two advantages in a row. Someone is getting paid to tell them to do that? Mes and Benoit on the top PP line is something that needs to never be tried again, then maybe they can get somewhere with a real powerplay plan. Chicago has a mean kill so it is hard to be too tough, but it was still a pitiful showing

-The penalty kill looks alright. We will probably have many more shorties this year

-I don't get why the 4th line didn't get minutes after any of those 3rd period goals. Instead of going out there to change the tempo, he puts out random lines that just let more implosion happen. Nolan, I thought you were an emotional coach. You need to play the emotional part of the game and you lost control of that third period

-I can only harp on Enroth for half of the goals, but he looked really bad on those half of goals

-We actually looked good in the second period. Too bad when the men came out to play in the third they forgot all about that

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Good:
Zemgus - mostly
Reinhart -Relative to last game
Rasmus - gets better every game
Ennis - improved over 1st game
Stafford - improved over 1st game
Weber - Didn't look terrible
The tank is on, I guess. I'd rather watch a good team than bank everything on having long shot odds at a franchise savior.

Bad:
Gionta - He just doesn't have the game anymore
Mouslon - Totally invisible out there. He's not making any plays.
Enroth - Rebounds were out of control.

Ugly:
Ben - Mez
4th line in the d zone. Those guys couldn't buy a puck.
That PP. Geez, I don't know if it's coaching or what, but it was atrocious.

I've tried to see the moves that have been made by Murray as short term positive, but really, including extending Ted Nolan, I can only see these moves as pushing the Sabres toward the top of the 2015 draft. Nothing else makes sense.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Reinhart was better, still scared hes gonna get hurt every time he gets on the ice
Girgs is a beast
shaw is a *****, hope it hurt

didnt see enough of the game to make any other judgements, 3 of us in a room on a travel laptop

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Good:
Zemgod, as usual
FRS line looked solid in both ends (how Stewy ended up -3 is a bit mysterious)
MES looked dangerous offensively at times
Myers/Gorges is a rock-steady pairing
Weber/Risto is quietly rock-steady as well so far

Bad:
Nolan -- WHY ARE YOU PLAYING 41-61 SO DARNED MUCH!?!?!?!?? THEY SUCK. Freaking suck it up and play Risto and allow him to grow. There's NO reason why Risto should be the #6 Dman time-wise
Hodgson and Gionta are invisible
Enroth on a few of those goals was not good

Ugly:
Meszaros
Benoit

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
G:
2nd period
Reinhart looked like he belongs

B:
We are soooooooooooooo far away from being competitive

U:
A lot, but very disappointed in Hodgson's game
I would rather watch Leino than Meszaros

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Good:

Got to watch the hawks feed and get alot of cool Chicago skyline shots and some old Chicago commercials that I don't get to see anymore

Bad: The Sabres.

The Ugly:

The Sabres attempting to play hockey

In all fairness, parts of the 1st and a good portion of the 2nd, the Sabres played...well...passable. But once the Hawks decided to up the pressure, the Sabres plain folded. Not sure if I even want to watch the Monday afternoon game. Can't imagine its going to have a much different outcome

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
One thing that really pisses me off about Nolan (and remember I'm a huge fan of him) is the fact he doesn't match up lines AT ALL.

I remember when their 1st line in the first period was up against our 4th line, and Hossa just went ape ***** on them and almost scored like 3x in one shift, and ended up at least drawing a penalty (i think on deslauriers)

Another thing is his absolute love and man crush of veteran players. Just because they've been in the league longer doesn't mean they're better. The prime example of this is playing Meszaros and Benoit over Ristolainen a lot more. I seriously don't get it. Let him frecking play and learn. There's one thing to "slow cook" a prospect, and there's another to baby and shelter them which might end up hurting them when in reality they should be playing more minutes.

And if Zadorov is scratched over guys like Benoit and Meszaros, why not just send him back to juniors so he can play 25 minutes a night? Rather than just sitting in the press box.
Play him for 9 games, and if you wanna send him back then do it right after, other wise play the kid. He's already better than Mes and Benoit by a mile. Let him learn.

If he tries to play too ridiculously patient then Nolan's gonna end up gone in 2 years. I do NOT want that. i think he's a good coach, but this one thing of his just really sets me off.

I guess I'm happy that it's a tank season anyways, if we're actually competing I guess it would matter, but I just wanna see these young guns develop and play a full season.
Really hope Grigorenko comes up and plays soon. I'd rather see Girgensons on his wing and Stewart on the other wing, and push Foligno to the 3rd/4th lines...that's what kind of player Foligno is. He's not a 2nd liner, he's a 3rd/4th line grinder...and I think he can be a pretty darn good one at that.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
One thing that really pisses me off about Nolan (and remember I'm a huge fan of him) is the fact he doesn't match up lines AT ALL.

I remember when their 1st line in the first period was up against our 4th line, and Hossa just went ape ***** on them and almost scored like 3x in one shift, and ended up at least drawing a penalty (i think on deslauriers)

Another thing is his absolute love and man crush of veteran players. Just because they've been in the league longer doesn't mean they're better. The prime example of this is playing Meszaros and Benoit over Ristolainen a lot more. I seriously don't get it. Let him frecking play and learn. There's one thing to "slow cook" a prospect, and there's another to baby and shelter them which might end up hurting them when in reality they should be playing more minutes.

And if Zadorov is scratched over guys like Benoit and Meszaros, why not just send him back to juniors so he can play 25 minutes a night? Rather than just sitting in the press box.
Play him for 9 games, and if you wanna send him back then do it right after, other wise play the kid. He's already better than Mes and Benoit by a mile. Let him learn.

If he tries to play too ridiculously patient then Nolan's gonna end up gone in 2 years. I do NOT want that. i think he's a good coach, but this one thing of his just really sets me off.

I guess I'm happy that it's a tank season anyways, if we're actually competing I guess it would matter, but I just wanna see these young guns develop and play a full season.
Really hope Grigorenko comes up and plays soon. I'd rather see Girgensons on his wing and Stewart on the other wing, and push Foligno to the 3rd/4th lines...that's what kind of player Foligno is. He's not a 2nd liner, he's a 3rd/4th line grinder...and I think he can be a pretty darn good one at that.
In addition, Nolan doesn't seem to like the idea of rewarding a line at the moment.

Reinhart's line has a good shift. Rest them and put them back out. It is allowed.

Meszaros has looked horrendous. To see him in the top four and not Ristolainen is criminal.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If we finish dead last, with the new lottery tweaks we aren't guaranteed a top two pick, right ?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00