Patrick Kane, quietly trudging along

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
When the Hawks' GM announced the team was taking a new approach which was to "let the kids" play, it was essentially announcing a rebuild without using the actual word "rebuild". I applauded the new approach, even though it should have been done a couple years earlier. So my expectations for the season was to watch Kane be Kane and see how the Hawks rookies and young players looked. And that's pretty much how it's gone so far, albeit with much better expected results from the young players.

A typical lineup for the Hawks has 6 rookies playing - forwards Suter, Kurashev and Hagel, d-men Mitchell and Beaudin, and goalie Lankinen. And that doesn't include Kubalik and Boqvist who were rookies last season. So while they're not ready to be a playoff team yet - they are pretty competitive on a game to game basis and I think Kane is relishing his veteran leadership position.

Reactions: AzHawk

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And Panarin was a goner in a year when he hit UFA. You can make the case (i) we didn't get enough value, and (ii) we traded him a bit too soon, but to say "why the hawks break up Panarin and Kane?" ignores the facts.

He had 2 years on his deal.

They kept Saad 1 year longer, that with the return doesn’t made the trade ok in any level

Reactions: Faterson and Pertti

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
A lot of the defensive problems were due to the forwards, not the defensemen. Team defense is markedly improved from last year and the first two games against Tampa (not surprising).

The forwards are playing a more complete 200 foot game, with effort in all zones right now. Backchecking and board work, zone coverage, first to the puck, and playing more cohesively together as a unit, all are far superior to the past two years. Young, talented, and skilled, yet still blue collar workers.

It’s actually enjoyable to watch, and it’s damn near impossible not to root for them, even though I was expecting/hoping for a high draft pick with Toews and Dach out.
Yep. People seem to forget the defensive forwards on the cup teams. A selke winner in toews, another that should’ve won one in Hossa, plus Sharp and Bolland, on top of 5 legit #1 pairing D men. Kruger and Frolik were two of the best pk forwards also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
You find a way. Move Toews.
Hindsight is 20/20 on that one, particularly if Toews is out long-term / forever. But there was no realistic way for us to willingly move our captain 2+ years after winning his third cup. Would have been awful from a PR perspective, and Panarin was pushed around badly in the 2017 series sweep vs. Nashville.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Hindsight is 20/20 on that one, particularly if Toews is out long-term / forever. But there was no realistic way for us to willingly move our captain 2+ years after winning his third cup. Would have been awful from a PR perspective, and Panarin was pushed around badly in the 2017 series sweep vs. Nashville.
Panarin was fine, no worse than anyone else was that series.

like others said, you find a way to build around a player like Panarin. You don’t trade him to accommodate other contracts, unless the Hawks couldn’t see his long term potential (which they clearly didn’t).

Reactions: Faterson

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Panarin was fine, no worse than anyone else was that series.

like others said, you find a way to build around a player like Panarin. You don’t trade him to accommodate other contracts, unless the Hawks couldn’t see his long term potential (which they clearly didn’t).
No I'm sure they did.....they couldn't move Toews or Seabrook, because Toews was just coming off of two down years in a row and Seabrook was finished. Keith and Kane were still good. They had no choice. The only argument is that they didn't get enough for him but there was the argument that he was a product of Kane at the time, so there was no way they were ever going to get fair value for Panarin.

The only way they could have kept Panarin is to not make the Seabrook mistake. Once that happened, his fate was sealed.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He had 2 years on his deal.

They kept Saad 1 year longer, that with the return doesn’t made the trade ok in any level
It was to start retooling/rebuilding because they knew with Hossa retiring and where they were, those 2 years were not gonna be winning years. If they kept Panarin and Hjalmarsson they make the playoffs but probably don't win a round, vs two top 10 pick additions has been a better approach.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
I was just going to create this thread-LOL. Amazing performer year in/year out. He also seems to have matured a lot. Wearing the "A" and did I see this right, playing the PK last night? For my money, he's the best American forward of all time.

Can't tell you if he did, but I will say Kane should NEVER be on the PK. Dont care how well he's playing. ;)

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Have to admire his will to keep on performing when team around him dove deep into shit. You'll never know how good your team could be, if given a free pass to mail it in. Should be recognized among the greatest of 2000s.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
I think Kane has adjusted quite well to this new look the Hawks have. He's in a more leadership type role while still producing at an elite level.

He's also clearly still having a ton of fun from what I've seen, which could be difficult for some players considering the amount of success Chicago has had.

The dude genuinely loves playing.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Before you know it he'll be an UFA. I guarantee you the Hawks will lowball him as far as his career ending deal goes. They'll have a ton of guys to resign. It's up to him whether to accept it or not.

I think a team will open up the bank for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad