Waived: Patrick Eaves

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
lets hope he actually dosent get picked up

lets hope kenny gets forced to actually do his job and actively try and improve this hockey club

i hear darcy reigher(sp) is available.....

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think you're exactly right. Holland gives out crazy contracts to borderline NHL players. Carlo Colaiacovo just signed with St. Louis for 1 year 550,000. What did he sign in Detroit for? Something like 2 yrs for 5 million, I think. It's craziness.

It's almost as if Holland pays these guys because he wants them to play for the "great ole' " Red Wings. It's like this opportunity that only a select few are offered.

E.g. Cleary's heart was here. That is not real. Cleary's "heart" trumped making the team better. His "heart" trumped the team. Same with Sammy/Bert having played for the Red Wings before trumped making the future team better, so they extended their contracts or brought them back.

I am sick of the arrogance of this team and the management.

As for Eaves supposedly not being told that he was being waived. I don't care if it isn't a "classy" move. This team has always been far too concerned with classiness and loyalty, and they are not concerned with actually making the team better.

You stay loyal to Zetterberg & Datsyuk, Kronwall, etc. Not garbage.

They're afraid to make moves because they have to make sure Cleary, Sammy, Bert, Eaves, Chelios, are happy and okay with them first. It's lunacy.

I feel your frustration but don't think I would classify Eaves as garbage. Things didn't work out here, a lot of it not Patrick's fault. So they waive him and move on, it's not like he was making Sammy money or getting Cleary minutes

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It doesn't hurt to put Sammy on waivers and pray he gets claimed. Just because you waive him don't mean you have to bury him in GR.

put cleary on waivers while you're at it

publicly say you're not happy and that changes are coming

say the defence is too slow/unable to move the puck and you're looking for help

say the forwards are too old/slow and you're lokking for help

say you really want nyquist up in the nhl and are doing everything possible to make it happen

say something/do something that shows you have a plan and are actively and purposefully enacting it

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

say you really want nyquist up in the nhl and are doing everything possible to make it happen

say something/do something that shows you have a plan and are actively and purposefully enacting it

What's the point of saying anything when nobody here will believe it, anyway?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What's the point of saying anything when nobody here will believe it, anyway?

at least it would lend some credence to the notion you're doing your job because your actions over the last # of years would suggest otherwise

and if thats not EXACTLY how he is feeling/thinking then its time to step down

StevieWonder

Feb 11, 2012
Philadelphia, PA

Nothing boosts a player's trade value like his GM publicly saying he's too old and slow...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think it's always been Miller OR Eaves.

Miller got the 3 year deal, Eaves didn't. Which is really a shame to me because I've always liked Eaves more, but he couldn't stay healthy. He'll probably get claimed.

Yep, you're right. Eaves got signed 2 years ago for 3 seasons after two impressive and promising 12 + 13 goal seasons.

Immediately after this contract extension, his injury mess started in the pre-season. It has been that mess since. During this 3-year contract, he has played 47 games and scored 2 goals. That's what I call useless. Injuries destroyed him, just like his brother Ben had to retire because of all the possible injuries he had in his Finland days.

If he would have stayed healthy, we would never re-sign Miller. But things did change and now people are accusing Holland, that why did he sign Eaves for 3-years? Why didn't Holland see this from his crystal ball, that Eaves will have all these injuries? Nothing was wrong before that signing. Bad days started after that. (exactly same has happened with Darren Helm. He got a 4-year extension, then it has been all injuries). And when it was obvious you can't trust for Eaves health or effectivity anymore, you extend Miller, who has been pretty solid PKr and very durable.

I hope Eaves finds a place to play from elsewhere. No need for him anymore and don't want to eat that waiver-penalty. It was planned that Landon Ferraro replaces him at next season, so this would have been Eaves's last season as a Red Wing anyways.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Nothing boosts a player's trade value like his GM publicly saying he's too old and slow...

see thats the problem, who said anybodys name?

when brian burke said he liked truculence did that signify to other GM's he was only willing to trade skinny weak players?

when a GM says we're looking for playoff experience at the trade deadline does that mean he is only willing to offer up playoff ghosts?

give me a break

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think you're exactly right. Holland gives out crazy contracts to borderline NHL players. Carlo Colaiacovo just signed with St. Louis for 1 year 550,000. What did he sign in Detroit for? Something like 2 yrs for 5 million, I think. It's craziness.

It's almost as if Holland pays these guys because he wants them to play for the "great ole' " Red Wings. It's like this opportunity that only a select few are offered.

E.g. Cleary's heart was here. That is not real. Cleary's "heart" trumped making the team better. His "heart" trumped the team. Same with Sammy/Bert having played for the Red Wings before trumped making the future team better, so they extended their contracts or brought them back.

I am sick of the arrogance of this team and the management.

"Arrogance." That's one interpretation of those moves. Albeit a strange one, imo.

As for Eaves supposedly not being told that he was being waived. I don't care if it isn't a "classy" move. This team has always been far too concerned with classiness and loyalty, and they are not concerned with actually making the team better.

How would it have been to the Wings detriment to notify Eaves he was going to be waived? How would it have kept them from making the team better? Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
He has to anyway. This cannot be his last move. AFAIK, the Wings are still more than a mil over the cap.

Right now they're 30k over the cap so unless Weiss goes on LTIR we can expect to see Glendening sent down soon.

Zetterberg4Captain said:
see thats the problem, who said anybodys name?

when brian burke said he liked truculence did that signify to other GM's he was only willing to trade skinny weak players?

when a GM says we're looking for playoff experience at the trade deadline does that mean he is only willing to offer up playoff ghosts?

give me a break

Do you not see the difference between saying we need to add truculence/experience and saying that your own players are too slow or aren't good enough anymore? A lot of teams will say what they feel their needs are and that they will try to address them, some examples being: Experience, toughness, speed, etc.

Do you think Reimer is likely going to re-sign with the Leafs after they've said he was their #1 but then went out and tried to trade for almost every available #1 in the league? I'd imagine when contract negotiations are started up that Reimer will remember it.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Really though, some of the things some people wish Holland would say are downright hilarious. Such a lack of understanding of how the business works. There are folks with legitimate gripes about management. But then there are others whose gripes are based on desires that just don't fit into reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

kilgoretrout

Nov 16, 2011
"Arrogance." That's one interpretation of those moves. Albeit a strange one, imo.

How would it have been to the Wings detriment to notify Eaves he was going to be waived? How would it have kept them from making the team better? Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Did I say that it would be to the Red Wings detriment to notify Eaves? I'm sorry if it sounded like that, but what I meant to say is that in the past few seasons, loyalty has gotten in the way of icing the best possible team.

What I'm saying is they are too worried with being loyal to players because they are caught up in this idea that the Red Wings are some how innately superior to other teams, simply for the sake of being Red Wings. They almost refuse to recognize they are playing in the present day. When players have played a few years with the Red Wings, they act like it's an insult to the player, when they decide to go in another direction.

They can go ahead and notify Eaves that he's going to be waived, and say thanks for the games you gave us. They should do that. But I'm not sure why they are so scared to make moves (or not makes moves) in other situations. Like I said, Cleary's heart mattered more than the roster limit.

They need to say "it's a business," move on, and not act like they had to kick someone out of their club.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Right now they're 30k over the cap so unless Weiss goes on LTIR we can expect to see Glendening sent down soon.

I would just publish the CAPGEEK sheet, but its not printing right now.

So here is the Current Roster IF Eaves is NOT claimed

Z-D-Bert
Franz-Weiss-Alfie
Tatar-Andy-Abdelkader
Miller-Helm-Sammy
Cleary
Glendenning

Kron-Ericsson
Kindl-Dekeyser
Quincey-Lashoff
Smith

Howard
Gustavsson

23 Players:

Buried Tootoo, Eaves, Nyquist

Cap Space: MINUS 30K

Assuming with Daily Calculations, I am sure we have made that 30K space. The question is, have they
made much more than that.

With this current lineup, Glendenning could be send down, and Nyquist up… But that would cost about 400K on the CAP. It is very possible that we still cannot afford Nyquist in the Lineup!

BUT If Eaves gets Claimed… I will bet you the 275K saved means that the 125K space has probably been found through compounding the daily calculation where we DID have space due to LTIR earlier in the season… We might have 125K in space, very unlikely we have 400K in space.

So we should all be hoping Eaves gets claimed. Then WITHOUT further moves, I will be Nyquist can be recalled, and stay on the roster. Of course that means 2 of our forwards would need to be scratched each night. But hey.. its a possibility.

If Eaves clears. It is very likely that either Miller/Sammy/Cleary will need to leave the team before Nyquist can be Recalled

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Even if Eaves gets claimed and Glendening is demoted, it gives us 820k of capspace. Not enough to bring Nyquist up.

We need 925k space for that to happen.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Really though, some of the things some people wish Holland would say are downright hilarious. Such a lack of understanding of how the business works. There are folks with legitimate gripes about management. But then there are others whose gripes are based on desires that just don't fit into reality.

please explain.

holland is unlike every other prosports gm and have legitimate concerns that he feels he should address?

or maybe, when other gms say simmilar things that they are wrong for doing so.

reality seen thru the eyes of drw only sure cant be crystal clear..

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Do you not see the difference between saying we need to add truculence/experience and saying that your own players are too slow or aren't good enough anymore? A lot of teams will say what they feel their needs are and that they will try to address them, some examples being: Experience, toughness, speed, etc.

Do you think Reimer is likely going to re-sign with the Leafs after they've said he was their #1 but then went out and tried to trade for almost every available #1 in the league? I'd imagine when contract negotiations are started up that Reimer will remember it.

no i dont, i see saying we need more speed or youth as the dame as saying more experience or size.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
During this 3-year contract, he has played 47 games and scored 2 goals.

I hope for his sake and our prospect's sake he gets picked up but when you look at how things have gone for him over the past few seasons I have a hard time seeing someone eat that contract.

So...we send Emmerton, Tootoo and possibly Eaves down to Grand Rapids? Well then how do our prospects who need ripening get over-ripe? In Toledo?

Over ripeness has become a laughable farce.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I hope for his sake and our prospect's sake he gets picked up but when you look at how things have gone for him over the past few seasons I have a hard time seeing someone eat that contract.

So...we send Emmerton, Tootoo and possibly Eaves down to Grand Rapids? Well then how do our prospects who need ripening get over-ripe? In Toledo?

Over ripeness has become a laughable farce.

AHL has a veteran contract limit per game and Grand Rapids has been all season already against it. We can send the whole NHL team down there and still there same amount of spots for prospects.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Even if Eaves gets claimed and Glendening is demoted, it gives us 820k of capspace. Not enough to bring Nyquist up.

We need 925k space for that to happen.

How do you know that to the dollar right now??

I would think Daily calculations magnifying our capspace at 1/4 way throughout the season with some room from LTIR, we would have 105K in space. So their might be room. Unless somehow you know their capspace to the day??

EDIT: If based on year beginning numbers, every space dollar is magnified as the season goes on. Thus accumulating cap space. Depends how much space we had accumulating while LTIR kept us SLIGHTLY below the cap.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How do you know that to the dollar right now??

I would think Daily calculations magnifying our capspace at 1/4 way throughout the season with some room from LTIR, we would have 105K in space. So their might be room. Unless somehow you know their capspace to the day??

I calculated those numbers by myself because capgeek has something going wrong.

Those daily figures won't matter, we are all the time against the cap because of Alfredsson bonuses. There's no extra room that grows towards the deadline. All the room is in use.

Using LTIR doesn't grow that cap room either, bonuses or not. Teams only exceed the cap by the amount of the replacement players caphit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad