Waived: Patrick Eaves

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
As per Elliotte Friedman, Brad Mills (CHI) and Patrick Eaves (DET) are on waivers.

Probably will get picked up, he has bottom-6 value anywhere else but Detroit.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Not that waiving/potentially losing Patrick Eaves is much to cry about, but it pisses me off that we're getting rid of 2 somewhat useful players (him and Tootoo) while continuing to employ and give IT to the dead weight that is Sammy and Cleary.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Not that waiving/potentially losing Patrick Eaves is much to cry about, but it pisses me off that we're getting rid of 2 somewhat useful players (him and Tootoo) while continuing to employ and give IT to the dead weight that is Sammy and Cleary.

Samuelsson doesn't give us any cap relief and Cleary just had a contract signed this year. They are going to do their best to get at least some production out of that contract.

tunasnacks*

Samuelsson doesn't give us any cap relief and Cleary just had a contract signed this year. They are going to do their best to get at least some production out of that contract.

The only thing he is producing is laughable entertainment and frustration to the fan base

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Well, I've always been a supporter of Eaves. He had a rough couple of years and maybe a change will be good for him. Best of Luck Patrick- hope you land in a good spot

crashman

Unlike with Tootoo, this news is not good news. I've always liked Eaves and he's just had a lot of bad luck.

I hope he lands a full-time job on another team, for his sake and the Red Wings.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

I get the team's reasoning for it. Just saying that Eaves and Tootoo are the better players.

And it circles back to the fact that Cleary and Sammy should've never been signed to begin with.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
i assume none of detroits player gets claimed. who needs player what are useless even in detroit? there are so many similar player in all the nhl teams rosters. no need for claiming more of them. maybe holland would do that.

just out of couriosity. how much money would detroit save when we would waive quincey and samuelsson and send them down to grand rapids?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think it's always been Miller OR Eaves.

Miller got the 3 year deal, Eaves didn't. Which is really a shame to me because I've always liked Eaves more, but he couldn't stay healthy. He'll probably get claimed.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Hope he gets claimed and gets a chance to be an NHL regular again. Always liked eaves, best of luck.

now....FREE NYQUIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
There are several players I want to lose before Eaves.

At the same time, Eaves and Miller are the same type of player.

Why couldn't we waive one of the "cancers" on the team?

Last edited:

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I just played around on Cap Geek and when fully healthy, Eaves and Tootoo buried and Glendening and XO sent down we're still 1.3m over the cap.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($3.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.630m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Danny Cleary ($1.750m)
Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) / Danny DeKeyser ($0.925m)
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
BURIED
Gustav Nyquist ($0.025m)
Patrick Eaves ($0.275m)
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2013-14 crunched using simulation date of 2013-11-14)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; BONUSES: $2,635,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): -$1,304,545

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I just played around on Cap Geek and when fully healthy, Eaves and Tootoo buried and Glendening and XO sent down we're still 1.3m over the cap.

I think some percentage of the bonuses can be defered to next year, I'm not sure though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
His being right handed was nice, but I'm not sure I see his necessity here. Good luck and I hope the guy lands on his feet.

edit: okay, here's something I've been wondering. We've been assuming that these guys who are waived will just end up in GR, but what if GR can't take them for whatever reason? Do we have to find a different place for them to play before we get any cap relief or can we just say, "hey, we waived ya, so you're not our problem any more."

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Love this guy. He was such an awesome part of the team for a while, I remember him scoring that hatty against Ottawa (I think it was them!) and he was definitely my favorite player for a couple of years. Now, I'm just hoping he can latch on somewhere. Detroit needs to move on from these bottom line guys who do absolutely nothing to help the team anymore. Eaves was good when he could fill in and score a few goals, play on the PP once in a while. He's just not at that level anymore because of injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->