Recalled/Assigned: Patrick Brown recalled from Checkers on emergency basis

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Has Brown gained a bunch of speed and forechecking ability since he last played up? I don't watch the AHL so I can't comment on that, but I don't remember him having any real speed or pace to his game.

I kind of get the rationale, but Rod's whole mantra this year has been that its ok to make mistakes as long as you're working hard. I'd rather a young guy with a future in the organization get a chance to prove himself and make mistakes than call up a guy who'll simply exist for 8 minutes.

Has it? Maenalanen was working hard all season long but keeps on getting scratched. Foegele received limited minutes all season long, Fleury never really received a chance and Bishop got sent down despite playing very well. Svechnikov often played limited minutes with bad linemates, too...even in the playoffs.

I like Rod but he sure enough rides his vets pretty hard. As a rookie you had a tough time this season. I get it. His team is young and he was trying hard to make the playoffs but still. I wanted him to play Maenalanen and increase Foegele's and Svechnikov's role pretty much all season long and it hasn't happened. Don't think it would have hurt the team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It makes some sense to me, even if I'd prefer someone else. I look at it this way, no matter who they call up:

1) Top 6 is very likely going to be Nino-Aho-TT; Foegele-Staal-Williams. After the way Foegele's been playing and Rod's "earn it" mentality.
2) The 3rd line is going to have Martinook and Wallmark for sure.
3) The 4th line is going to have Maenalene and McKegg for sure
4) McGinn is going to be in the line-up for sure.

I don't think Rod's going to call up Necas, Poturalski, Saarela, Gauthier, etc...and supplant Foegele in the top 9. I don't think he's going put one of those guys in the top 9 ahead of McGinn, and play more minutes than McGinn in a physical playoff game.

I'm betting we'll see:

Nino-Aho-TT
Foegele-Staal-Williams
Martinook-Wallmark-McGinn
Brown-McKegg-Maenalanen

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It makes some sense to me, even if I'd prefer someone else. I look at it this way, no matter who they call up:

1) Top 6 is very likely going to be Nino-Aho-TT; Foegele-Staal-Williams. After the way Foegele's been playing and Rod's "earn it" mentality.
2) The 3rd line is going to have Martinook and Wallmark for sure.
3) The 4th line is going to have Maenalene and McKegg for sure
4) McGinn is going to be in the line-up for sure.

I don't think Rod's going to call up Necas, Poturalski, Saarela, Gauthier, etc...and supplant Foegele in the top 9. I don't think he's going put one of those guys in the top 9 ahead of McGinn, and play more minutes than McGinn in a physical playoff game.

I'm betting we'll see:

Nino-Aho-TT
Foegele-Staal-Williams
Brown-McKegg-Maenalanen
That's my thought.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Brown plays with a bit of an edge. Brown has some NHL experience. I don't know if you want to plop a kid like Necas or similar into a situation where Washington is going to come out angry after being handed their own asses a couple of days ago.

With Ferland likely out, Wilson will be a concern. I expect headhunting from him.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
brown is a warm body that knows how to protect himself on the ice. not in the sense that he's a fighter, but in the sense that he's not going to get caught kicking the puck around on the trolley tracks when wilson is out there trying to send a message. they want a placeholder for this call up, not a difference maker. just someone that won't look too far out of place with saku and mckegg for the 8 minutes they get trying to win the possession battle for a few shifts.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If Brown plays more than 2.5 minutes, I'll buy everyone a pet elephant.

I want a giraffe!!!
20190325_183418.jpg

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Patrick Brown:
Centre/Wing: 6' 1" 210 lbs, good size.
This is a safe and solid choice by Rod and Don.
His role is to check and not make 'positional mistakes.'
His Dad, Doug Brown played 854 games in the NHL from 1986-2001.
He played on 2 Stanley Cup Teams with the Detroit Red Wings in 1997-98.
Doug's brother Greg also played in the NHL for the Sabres, Penguins and the Jets.
Doug Brown (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I resent the insuation that immediately upon being given a pet elephant I would be hacking it dead and into pieces.

My doing that to a pony was a one-off case, and it was already dead and sold for dog food, and it really wasn't even a whole pony but a half of one.

Lempo - the man, the myth....never, ever change....and for goodness sake don't leave.

I'm betting we'll see:

Nino-Aho-TT
Foegele-Staal-Williams
Brown-McKegg-Maenalanen

Yeah, this is what I expect as well....and that line up is going to have trouble scoring goals unless we keep up a very physical presence in front of Holtby. I wonder if they'd ever consider flipping one of McGinn/Martinook for Maenalanen. He's definitely a bit more skilled than some might think....not saying more so than Marty or Ginner, but it would be interesting to see a few shifts from him in a more offensive role.

stevewin

Oct 21, 2016
Not sure about his overall play last night - but noticed Brown a few times throwing his body around like a man possessed. At one point he came off the bench and skated like a bat out of hell directly across the ice and just launched himself into the boards trying to hit something in a white uniform. My daughter and I just turned and looked at each other in awe, and she said "Who the hell is Brown?!"

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not sure about his overall play last night - but noticed Brown a few times throwing his body around like a man possessed. At one point he came off the bench and skated like a bat out of hell directly across the ice and just launched himself into the boards trying to hit something in a white uniform. My daughter and I just turned and looked at each other in awe, and she said "Who the hell is Brown?!"
I didn't notice him much except for when he broke up a potential Caps shot/one timer on the backcheck and the few times he got in hard on the forecheck. I suppose that's all you can really ask for from an emergency call up 4th line with limited offensive potential.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

After that hit I yelled "WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU????"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I didn't notice him much except for when he broke up a potential Caps shot/one timer on the backcheck and the few times he got in hard on the forecheck. I suppose that's all you can really ask for from an emergency call up 4th line with limited offensive potential.

Thing is, that wasn't even a backcheck. He was late getting off the bench and the Canes played with 4 players for a good 20s before he finally realized he should be out there and then jumped over the boards and rushed in to breakup the 1 timer. Not saying it was his fault as maybe he wasn't the guy that was originally supposed to be out there or with the noise, maybe he didn't hear the coach calling for him, etc...

I noticed him (because I was looking for him) doing a decent job at covering guys defensively and getting in on the forecheck and trying to throw some hits. Agree with you, that's about all you can ask for.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Meh... he was ok at things when he didn't have to have the puck on his stick, with the exception of that decent cycle shift in the 3rd. I thought he slowed that line down too much.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad