Recalled/Assigned: Patrick Brown recalled from Checkers on emergency basis

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Anticlimatic - but I understand not wanting to throw a young prospect into this situation without a proper introduction to league. I think they have more trust that Brown won't hurt the team in critical moments, even if he is unspectacular.

Seems to have worked out fine for Colorado to throw a guy right in. Talented players are breaking in and having success earlier every year. This is the ultimate "play not to lose" move.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Seems to have worked out fine for Colorado to throw a guy right in. Talented players are breaking in and having success earlier every year. This is the ultimate "play not to lose" move.

Maybe not, the Canes success has come from all out effort, relentless forechecking and limiting scoring chances for the Caps. That's their recipe for success in this match-up. I suspect Rod feels that Brown is the guy that best can do that by stepping into the line-up.

I'm not a fan of Brown, but I can see the rationale for this and it's not necessarily a "play not to lose" move.

As I said earlier, Makar is regarded as one of, if not the best affiliated prospect in the league.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Maybe not, the Canes success has come from all out effort, relentless forechecking and limiting scoring chances for the Caps. That's their recipe for success in this match-up. I suspect Rod feels that Brown is the guy that best can do that by stepping into the line-up.

I'm not a fan of Brown, but I can see the rationale for this and it's not necessarily a "play not to lose" move.

As I said earlier, Makar is regarded as one of, if not the best affiliated prospect in the league.

Has Brown gained a bunch of speed and forechecking ability since he last played up? I don't watch the AHL so I can't comment on that, but I don't remember him having any real speed or pace to his game.

I kind of get the rationale, but Rod's whole mantra this year has been that its ok to make mistakes as long as you're working hard. I'd rather a young guy with a future in the organization get a chance to prove himself and make mistakes than call up a guy who'll simply exist for 8 minutes.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Has Brown gained a bunch of speed and forechecking ability since he last played up? I don't watch the AHL so I can't comment on that, but I don't remember him having any real speed or pace to his game.

I kind of get the rationale, but Rod's whole mantra this year has been that its ok to make mistakes as long as you're working hard. I'd rather a young guy with a future in the organization get a chance to prove himself and make mistakes than call up a guy who'll simply exist for 8 minutes.

Maybe Rod only plans on playing him for 3-4 minutes, works Maenalanen into more minutes, and continues to churn lines with the group that got him there.

Maybe De Haan gets healthy, Rod rolls with 7 D, and plays Hamilton part time as a forward, and Brown sits in the press box.

The initial reaction to losing Svechnikov and Ferland was probably that the team needed a top-6 replacement. But Foegele scored twice and played well in the top-6. So Foegele becomes the top-6 replacement which then leaves two bottom-6 spots. Maenalanen and a 4th liner (Brown).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Brown was always a decent forchecker and gave good effort, a lot of the qualities Rod likes. He's got 52 hits in 28 NHL games. The "it's ok to make mistakes" mantra is great in an 82 game regular season, but not so much in the playoffs. As we've seen in this playoffs already, when you make mistakes, the Caps bury it so I'm not sure that's Rod's view right now.

Anyhow, I'm not overly excited by Brown and not a fan of him, so I would be fine with someone else, actually would have preferred someone else. I don't think it's a "play to lose" mentality though as I think whoever they called up is only going to get a handful of minutes.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Trading in ivory is illegal.

Reported.

I resent the insuation that immediately upon being given a pet elephant I would be hacking it dead and into pieces.

My doing that to a pony was a one-off case, and it was already dead and sold for dog food, and it really wasn't even a whole pony but a half of one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad