Former Bruins Patrice Bergeron

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Here it is….. but I’d be beyond shocked if it were to happen. Again this isnt a rumor. Just their speculation.

This is just dumb

I think he just has a hard time stepping away when this is still very much his team. He wants to stay involved and help his friends, and the team wants and likes him there.

His retirement seemed very final. Not open ended like Krejci or Rask’s pseudo-retirements were. He has nothing left to prove and so much to lose with a potential injury. I sincerely hope he’ll be back with the team in whatever capacity he wants when he’s ready, but would also be beyond shocked.
After all of those years I am sure it feels weird for Bergy to not be out there. I am sure he has bitter-sweet moments.

It would not surprise me to have Bergy involved with the Bs in some capacity (pretty much ANY he wants) but I cannot see him playing again.

He's not coming back. I just don't see it. They're just trying to find things to talk about.
BINGO

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
He's not coming back.

That said when are we going to get to see numbers in the rafters? I know 33 will go up before 37, but Id assume they'd do that in the shorter term instead of waiting years.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I can see this happening but I hope the Bs do it before, they are both so deserving of the honor why wait?

I think Bourque was before his induction, but that was when Harry needed a sellout because sales were at a real low point.

Reactions: BMC

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Rumors getting rampant that he is skating and working out. Spitten chicklets podcast spoke today. Certainly didn’t think he would but leaning towards a possibility especially with Marshy discussing it few weeks ago.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
He won't, but he should. LOL.

The Bruins have successfully worked in 4 rookies/youngsters this year. But they need help.

The Bruins 4th line wings have a combined 1 goal in 75 games. The Bruins look too much like their 2013 edition. Quite good, but thin. They need more and it must be cheap. Also; don't show up to the dance with a Daugavins.

Last edited:
Reactions: zaYG

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Could he still compete at a high level? Definitely. That being said, I don’t want Bergeron back on the ice. There i said it. Enjoy your retirement and stay perfect in the eyes of Bruins fans forever.

Same. Never a fan of post-retirement comebacks. No exceptions. Highly highly doubt it's a possibility, and don't want to see it regardless. When you're done, you're done.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Signs in Feb, only plays home games until playoffs. Problem solved.

But probably not coming back.

The NHL schedule/travel/life is a grind. Despite the millions most of these guys make, they make huge sacrifices.

IMO, regardless of who the player is, signing a player to just play home games is a terrible look. You’re either on the team or you’re not.
Which is exactly why Bergy himself would never do it.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The NHL schedule/travel/life is a grind. Despite the millions most of these guys make, they make huge sacrifices.

IMO, regardless of who the player is, signing a player to just play home games is a terrible look. You’re either on the team or you’re not.

Agreed. If he does that, it’s a bad look. No one player is above the team and as you said I feel like bergy wouldn’t do it for similar reasons.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

This^

Bergy is 100 percent in everything he does. I just dont see it. I think hes 100 percent in on being retired/doing charity events/coaching his kids team/ making appearances.

And he has earned it.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Same. Never a fan of post-retirement comebacks. No exceptions. Highly highly doubt it's a possibility, and don't want to see it regardless. When you're done, you're done.
If Bergeron had been out for more than a year, sure , I agree with that but the time off probably was great for him mentally and physically. No reason he couldn’t come back for one last short term kick at the Cup . Anyone who thinks it would tarnish his legacy is just being silly in my opinion.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
IMO (emphasis on MY) the idea that PB37 would tarnish his reputation by coming back is nonsense. At least for this fan.

If you'd told me the B's would be in the place they are this season I would say nonsense. BUT, since they are, what is one of the biggest things the Bruins could add at the trade deadline (or any team for that matter)???? Patrice Bergeron of course.

If he came back and won a Cup he'd be a God in my book and I'd be forever grateful.

If he came back and didn't win a Cup I'd still love him as much as I do and be grateful he tried.

Hell, it's not like I'm asking Cam Neely to come back and barrel down the right side and rip slapshots on the go at a frightened goalie. (That is, Cam, assuming you haven't been hiding something from us? :sarcasm:).

Know how many NHL fans are salty that TB won a Cup with Kucherov coming back late in season (I know it's not exactly the same, but splitting hairs to say it's a lot different)???? A LOT.

Know how many TB fans are salty it worked out that way? NONE. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Agreed. If he does that, it’s a bad look. No one player is above the team and as you said I feel like bergy wouldn’t do it for similar reasons
Just my opinion, but I disagree.

I think there is a good likelihood that Bergie had a hand in convincing Krejci to come back for one more kick at the can. Don't know for sure, but I'd bet good money on that. Even if not, I'd bet everything I owned that Bergie did NOT feel that Krejci put himself above the team in doing so.

Reactions: wintersej

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Hopefully if he comes back he won't be a -6 in 3 games.

All kidding aside, he's not coming back. Don't think he would have officially retired if he was considering coming back

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I love Bergy and he's my favorite player of all time. If he came back, I'd love it out of pure fandom. But I think if I had to look at it objectively, for the sake of his body and the current team that is learning to live without him, he needs to stay retired as an active player. Coach, trainer, or assistant to the team in some sort of capacity, 100 percent yes! But as a player, those days are done.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad