Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

For this year... Jason King.

He's freaky in front of the net.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Haven't seen enough of either to properly judge, but what Bergeron is doing as an 18 year old 2nd round pick is pretty impressive.

That said, i'm pretty darn happy with Michael Ryder who i believe is 1 pt behind those two despite playing for a much more offensively starved team in Montreal. Ryder is everything the Habs have lacked on the top lines...guys that play hard and show no fear going to the net.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Hokay said:
Jason King is a sniper and Bergeron a playmaker, who do you prefer between these two players? Because they are the the scoring leaders in the rookies. The fact is that Bergeron is 18 years old and King 22.

Jason King:
26GP, 11G, 5A, 16Pts, +2, 9ESP, 7PPP, 10HMP, 6RDP

Patrice Bergeron:
26GP, 6G, 10A, 16Pts, +2, 9ESP, 7PPP, 6HMP, 10RDP

HMP = Home Points
RDP = Road Points

Those are pretty similar stats.

I prefer Bergeron but I'm a Bruin fan and haven't seen too much of King (3 games). The last 4 games, except the TO game, Bergeron has been playing his best hockey and has looked dominating with the puck at times. He seemed to cool off abit before that for a few games, but he's stepped it back up and he definitively deserves to be here has an 18 year old. He's playing 2nd line center at the moment and if he continues to play there he should get around 45 points, possibly 50. He's also not bad at running the PP. I have no doubt Bergeron is the better player, but I like go Pierre hedin said he's freakish in front of the net, and I got first hand look at that in the Bruins/Canucks game earlier this year, but I don't think King is going to be able to keep up the scoring.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I have yet to really catch a glimpse of Bergeron this year...what kind of style does he play? In some aspects, he reminds me a bit of Brad Richards just by looking at his background and stats. Excellent Q player who was drafted outside the first round but came into the league and made an immediate impact as a playmaker and scorer. Similar size as well. Never put up the huge numbers in juniors like Richards, but he really only played one full season anyways - he'd probably be dominating the Q right now. Is there a better comparison for Bergeron?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Foppa said:
I have yet to really catch a glimpse of Bergeron this year...what kind of style does he play? In some aspects, he reminds me a bit of Brad Richards just by looking at his background and stats. Excellent Q player who was drafted outside the first round but came into the league and made an immediate impact as a playmaker and scorer. Similar size as well. Never put up the huge numbers in juniors like Richards, but he really only played one full season anyways - he'd probably be dominating the Q right now. Is there a better comparison for Bergeron?

He plays a similar game to Brad.

Bergeron has amazing vision, his shot isnt bad either, but definatly his main asset would be vision.

He can set up on the PP on the half boards and go to work like Adam Oates.

For the future i prefer Bergeron, only because i can see him developing a better scoring touch. Plus Kinger is 4 years older.

I see King as a 30G 20A player and Bergy as a 20G 50A

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I'll take Ryder , he's just 1 point away from them in the calder race . Also if he struggles he can be a effective 3rd/4th liner .

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Jozeph_Balej said:
I'll take Ryder , he's just 1 point away from them in the calder race . Also if he struggles he can be a effective 3rd/4th liner .

I think you need to read the topic title again Mr.Homer ;)

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Patrice Bergeron, he has the higher upside IMO and is 4 years younger!

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
forbesy said:
who does Bergeron usually lineup with for Boston?

To start the year Bergeron played rw on the 3rd line with Axellson and Rolston. He then moved up to the 2nd line centering Samsonov and Lapointe.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I am amazed by both players, I won't lie I didn't think King would ever make the NHL and I thought Bergeron was far from the NHL.

King- When he played for the Mooseheads he was always a one trick wonder, used the same deek move everytime to get by his defender and wasn't a team player at all. I did give him credit though he could score from anywhere on the ice but the style of game he played was not for the NHL. Now he has made leaps and bounds on being an all-around player and he has dropped his move in order to use his teammates more. He is doing very well this year.

Bergeron- though was neck and neck with Petr Vrana last lear for the rookie of the year in the QMJHL Bergeron was good but not a player that stood out as NHL caliber yet. I thought this guy was going to have to go through another year or two of junior then AHL then maybe NHL. Now he is doing great as an 18 year old in the NHL.

Last edited:

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Jozeph_Balej said:
Good post ... :shakehead :dunno:

I'd take Jason King, simply because he's the kind of player Montreal lacks right now.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Ron Hainsey said:
Good post ... :shakehead :dunno:

I'd take Jason King, simply because he's the kind of player Montreal lacks right now.
Like Patty Roy said

i'm pretty darn happy with Michael Ryder who i believe is 1 pt behind those two despite playing for a much more offensively starved team in Montreal. Ryder is everything the Habs have lacked on the top lines...guys that play hard and show no fear going to the net.
And Voodo Daddy

Yes, when in doubt choose the player with the best downside.

If you like King over Bergeron i'm fine with it but don't put :shakehead :dunno: and **** like that when your only argument is ''he's the kind of player Montreal lacks right now'' ... hello ? Read Patty Roy post twice and tell my why my post isn't ''good'' .

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jozeph_Balej said:
Like Patty Roy said

And Voodo Daddy

If you like King over Bergeron i'm fine with it but don't put :shakehead :dunno: and **** like that when your only argument is ''he's the kind of player Montreal lacks right now'' ... hello ? Read Patty Roy post twice and tell my why my post isn't ''good'' .

The thread is Bergeron vs. King!!

When you bring up Ryder it just makes you look like a homer.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
If were gonna turn this thread into a "Calder thread" (which i was guilty of doing...), then i would say that the best of the bunch will eventually be Eric Staal (although i doubt he will win this year) or Joni Pitkanen by a fair margain.

But looking at the 3 leading rookies scorers, consider for a moment the teams they play for. IMO it makes Ryder's curent totals all the more impressive.

Bergeron (16pts in 26 games) Boston - 70 GF in 26 games
King (16pts in 26 games) Vancouver - 83 GF in 27 games
Ryder (15pts in 26 games) Montreal - 59 GF in 27 games

Ryder has been in on 25% of his teams goals, compared to 22% for Bergeron and 19% for King.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Jozeph_Balej said:
Like Patty Roy said

And Voodo Daddy

Because it's King Vs Bergeron, which one you choose, and than you choose Ryder, don't have any problem with it you just look like a big homer.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
The thread is Bergeron vs. King!!

When you bring up Ryder it just makes you look like a homer.

Well blame me because i was the first one to mention Ryder.

The original poster seemed more interested in comparing the rookie scoring leaders than he did in simply comparing Bergeron and King. So since i perceived this thread as more of a "Calder" type thread, i thought i would bring up Ryder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad