Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Who's his shot coach? And how do we get him to spend more time with Coyle and a few others?

Crazy to see his shot evolve over the last decade
He's like a chameleon. Starts his career as a guy with promising offensive upside.

Enter Randy Jones. :mad:

Recovers from multiple concussions to become premier defensive forward under Julien.

Team needs offense under Cassidy, he transitions to driving the best line in hockey and still providing Selke defense.

Whatever the team needs, he can do. Most of the 2003 class is heading over the cliff right now if they haven't already fallen off. Bergeron just keeps going.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's like a chameleon. Starts his career as a guy with promising offensive upside.

Enter Randy Jones. :mad:

Recovers from multiple concussions to become premier defensive forward under Julien.

Team needs offense under Cassidy, he transitions to driving the best line in hockey and still providing Selke defense.

Whatever the team needs, he can do. Most of the 2003 class is heading over the cliff right now if they haven't already fallen off. Bergeron just keeps going.

While it wasn't always a slam dunk, I feel it's pretty clear now that if they re-drafted 2003, Patrice Bergeron-Cleary is going 1st overall.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
While it wasn't always a slam dunk, I feel it's pretty clear now that if they re-drafted 2003, Patrice Bergeron-Cleary is going 1st overall.

I disagree. Fleury is a pretty all-world goalie and delivered. You can't argue with his success. I'd say Bergy would go #2. But I don't think 1. Just my opinion.

Reactions: BruinDust

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I disagree. Fleury is a pretty all-world goalie and delivered. You can't argue with his success. I'd say Bergy would go #2. But I don't think 1. Just my opinion.

At least we can all agree he'd go higher than #45 :laugh:

Great job, Boston scouts

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Nothing against Fleury but Bergeron is the more accomplished of the two players.
Idk.. Does Bergeron’s 1 cup and 4 Selkes trump Fleury’s 3 Cups? I guess 2.5, he started while Murray was hurt in 2017 playoff then Murray started in the finals IIRC.

I’d personally take Bergeron of course but I’m sure there’s others who’d say Fleury is more accomplished.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Bergeron goes 100% ahead of Fleury.

Idk.. Does Bergeron’s 1 cup and 4 Selkes trump Fleury’s 3 Cups? I guess 2.5, he started while Murray was hurt in 2017 playoff then Murray started in the finals IIRC.

I’d personally take Bergeron of course but I’m sure there’s others who’d say Fleury is more accomplished.

Fleury has 1 Cup as a starter and zero personal awards.

He wasn’t even seen as one of the best goalies in the league during his time in Pittsburg, just in his time in Vegas his statue has gone up.

Where as Bergeron has been one of the best C’s and most valuable players for years and years with a Cup and multiple Selkes under his belt.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I think we underrate Getzlaf.

While he has fallen off a cliff, Getzlaf has a higher PPG in the playoffs than in the Regular season- 120 points in 125 games. Getzlaf also has a higher than a PPG pace in senior international games with Canada. He was a big body, fought every year, had a mean streak, and stepped up in big games- what we all wished Joe Thornton to was when we drafted him. Obviously, not as offensive as Thornton, but I think I would rather Getzlaf over Thornton.

I would still take Bergeron, but I think it is close.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Really Fleury won one cup as a starter, and played the 1st half of another playoff run. Has no individual hardware, I don't think he's ever been nominated for a Vezina trophy (although he may this year). Practically no international success, he played well and lost as the starter at the WJC in 2003 and 2004, was the 3rd stringer on the 2010 Olympic team. It's the Hockey Hall of Fame, not the NHL Hall.

It was also 2003. Pre salary cap. I don't see any scenario moving forward where a goaltender will be selected 1st overall.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think we underrate Getzlaf.

While he has fallen off a cliff, Getzlaf has a higher PPG in the playoffs than in the Regular season- 120 points in 125 games. Getzlaf also has a higher than a PPG pace in senior international games with Canada. He was a big body, fought every year, had a mean streak, and stepped up in big games- what we all wished Joe Thornton to was when we drafted him. Obviously, not as offensive as Thornton, but I think I would rather Getzlaf over Thornton.

I would still take Bergeron, but I think it is close.

Getzlaf for me would be 2nd overall. It's been close for years (neck-and-neck) but Getzlaf really fell off this year meanwhile Bergeron just keeps on ticking (although I admit there is some regression there too).

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Draft reflects what was known/perceived at the time, so there’s no going back. In my mind with regard to who is the best player, or most accomplished, or most valuable from that particular draft.

I have #37 first.
I think I’d rank Getzlaf #2.
From there it gets tough, loads of good players. Fleury stays in top 5 IMO.
I think Staal is in top5 or close. I didn’t realize that the highest points total is Staal from that draft.

Biggest surprise in terms of draft position is Pavelski a 7th rounder who has had a tremendous career.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Getzlaf for me would be 2nd overall. It's been close for years (neck-and-neck) but Getzlaf really fell off this year meanwhile Bergeron just keeps on ticking (although I admit there is some regression there too).
Yeah, Bergeron is my favourite player of this generation, so I would find it difficult to take anyone over him. But for argument's sake, let's compare the two players

PlayerGoal FinishesAssist finishesPoint FinishesSelke finishesAll-star team votingHart Voting
Bergeron---1,1,1,1,2,2,3,4,54,5,7,8,8,95
Getzlaf-3,3,4,5,7,7,82,6,1010,2,3,4,6,7,7,82,6,7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I can see a lot of people taking Getzlaf over Bergeron.

Last edited:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Yeah, Bergeron is my favourite player of this generation, so I would find it difficult to take anyone over him. But for argument's sake, let's compare the two players

PlayerGoal FinishesAssist finishesPoint FinishesSelke finishesAll-star team votingHart Voting
Bergeron---1,1,1,1,2,2,3,4,54,5,7,8,8,95
Getzlaf-3,3,4,5,7,7,82,6,1010,2,3,4,6,7,7,82,6,7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I can see a lot of people taking Getzlaf over Bergeron.
I agree. But both players did not have the same role for a long period of time. Junior, mvp Bergeron with Getzlaf in the line up.
Despite Jones, 37 is surely one if not the best 2003 class.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Once again, it's Bergeron who we know is the best, and two guys who are "due."

I don't think he'll win it this year either. But he should already have the record. At least this year he tied Gretzky for the most consecutive years as a finalist for a voted award. Both with ten consecutive years. That's still pretty amazing.

Reactions: trenton1

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Another year, another Bergeron Selke nomination. An NHL record 10 straight years. You'll probably never see that again.

He finished no worse than 5th in 12 straight years. (5th in 2010, 4th in 2011). He wins his first in 2012 and has been a nominee every season since.

Funny fun fact......I went back and looked to see if Bergeron ever got any Selke votes back in his early years. Now keep in mind there are years here where their are 50+ players who get at least a vote or two.

Bergeron doesn't receive a single, solitary Selke vote from 2003-04 to 2008-09. His first vote ever received is in 2010. That blows my mind honestly.

Reactions: BTO

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He'll never win again no matter how much he deserves it just due to voter fatigue. They always want the fresh face, the Couturier or the Stone to give it to.

Reactions: trenton1

member 96824

Another year, another Bergeron Selke nomination. An NHL record 10 straight years. You'll probably never see that again.

He finished no worse than 5th in 12 straight years. (5th in 2010, 4th in 2011). He wins his first in 2012 and has been a nominee every season since.

Funny fun fact......I went back and looked to see if Bergeron ever got any Selke votes back in his early years. Now keep in mind there are years here where their are 50+ players who get at least a vote or two.

Bergeron doesn't receive a single, solitary Selke vote from 2003-04 to 2008-09. His first vote ever received is in 2010. That blows my mind honestly.

That actually kind of makes sense. His first two or three years they tried to make him Ovechkin. Then he got hurt and 08-09 he was a very strong third line center but still working his way back…that next step didn’t really come until Savard went down and Bergeron started getting the top matchups instead of being a very elite Jordan Staal like 3C.

Both he and Marchand have incredibly interesting career arches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BruinDust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad