Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
*waves to idiot Pittsburgh people*

Let's see...

Individual awards:
  • Selke - 4 time winner, seven years in a row top 3, nine years in a row top five
  • World Junior MVP in a tournament that had Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin
  • Clancy and NHL Foundation awards (not performance of course, but still awards)
Team:
  • World Championship gold (still the only player in history to win senior men's before junior)
  • World Junior gold
  • World Cup gold
  • Spengler Cup
And then these Cracker Jack box toys :sarcasm:

6747870131.jpg
b396f4a22000abf764a1bdb09fb45897.jpg
221586f509933d4a9921863f3c8eb49d--patrice-bergeron-ice-hockey.jpg

He's a member of the Triple Gold Club, which has only 28 player members (nine of which are in the HOF, by the way).

And now he's 33 and scoring at the highest PPG rate of his career.

No, I don't see how anyone could make a HOF case out of that resume. What a bum...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Thats fine. I just feel that any HOF should have higher standards. MLB pretty much lets B group players in at this point so maybe the NHL might as well do the same.

Are you inferring Patrice Bergeron is a "B group player"? If so, nice shtick. You should be on Felger and Mazz.

Reactions: lopey

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I get that the Hall of Fame shouldn't just let ANYONE in. That wouldn't be fair to the ones who bust their asses to be great in the first place. But my issue is that I find it amazing that one of the first and primary arguments of reasoning I've heard in terms of a hockey player's HOF potential (and this comes from local people I know, for the record, so I'm sure not everyone is like this) is "But how many goals does he have? How many assists?" As if nothing else literally happens on the ice. It's crazy.

I'm not saying Patrice is guaranteed a spot. I DO think you have to look at what he's done so far and weigh in that and say "Yeah I think he's got a shot." Because give him a few more years, he'll be hopefully within the 1000 point range which is, for whatever reason, so desperately needed in order to make the HOF

It's frustrating to me because that pretty much just ignores what makes Bergeron so great; all of the little, defensive plays he makes in breaking up passes or disrupting opposing top players all across the league...it's not something that is easily done, and you'd think that that is something more fans would respect. But we DO live in the days of video game stats and shit, so what do I know. I'm buzzed on white wine as I type this...

Edit: I will also acknowledge that Pavel Datsyuk deserves a spot in the hall of fame as well

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
The 4 Selke trophies alone put him in the HoF.

Only one other player in history has 4 Selkes, Bob Gainey. Gainey is in the HoF with 501 points in 1160 games.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
It’s only fitting that it was Bergy who scored the game winning goal in the Stanley Cup Final
Many many moons ago (think mid 90s dark ages) i promised myself i would get the jersey of whoever scored a cup winner for the B's.

Could have been Kaberle. but it worked out perfectly.

Reactions: Alicat

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
My favorite athlete ever.... and I don't think it will ever change until the day I die. Would take an extremely special player/person to take the title from him. I watch every game because I'm a diehard fan, but also because every game you watch him play is a treat and I don't want to miss any of them.

just wait a few years when his play declines and HF posters start clobbering him :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad