Speculation: Patches or Stastny to be moved?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Can Buffalo add almost 20 million with three players? That's a lot of money, although isn't there still two seasons until Dahlin and Middlestadt and a few others would need raises? I think Miller in his final season would be easy to trade. and Pacioretty in his last two seasons would probably also be easy to trade.

I don't think they have anyone else signed longterm besides Okposo, and they'll probably get Seattle to take him.

I guess Pittsburgh would also be very much interested in Miller if they can move out one of their overpaid RD. Maybe Patches too if they move Kessel to the Coyotes.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think they have anyone else signed longterm besides Okposo, and they'll probably get Seattle to take him.

I guess Pittsburgh would also be very much interested in Miller if they can move out one of their overpaid RD. Maybe Patches too if they move Kessel to the Coyotes.

According to McPhee this problem is being overstated so maybe he already has moves lined up.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I can't see them trading for him. Patches makes 10.5m in actual dollars next season.

Buffalo, however, would want him. They're after Zucker and they just signed Skinner to 9m out of desperation. A package of Patches + Miller would fetch something nice from the Sabres, I think.

and the Jets might pay a good price for Miller. They just lost Trouba and they're having trouble re-signing Myers to a reasonable contract.
Hello Vegas fans!
As a Sabres fan - no way we trade for patches. We have Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Reinhart and Montour to extend soon. Probably over 32 million in cap. On top of that we have some other prospects that are breaking out or busting this year (Nylander, Thompson, Olofsson, Pilut).

We need RHD so Miller could be a fit, especially if we trade Ristolainen. How is Miller defensively?
We have Pilut, Montour, Ristolainen that I would describe as ”one way offensive pp quarterbacks” all good in their role but pretty bad/flawed defensively. We also need a two way partner for Dahlin.

Buffalo could probably pay a lot for a 2/3C, young scoring winger or two way RHD.
Our GM is on record that first round picks could be traded for young-ish players under team control similar to the Montour trade.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Hello Vegas fans!
As a Sabres fan - no way we trade for patches. We have Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Reinhart and Montour to extend soon. Probably over 32 million in cap. On top of that we have some other prospects that are breaking out or busting this year (Nylander, Thompson, Olofsson, Pilut).

We need RHD so Miller could be a fit, especially if we trade Ristolainen. How is Miller defensively?
We have Pilut, Montour, Ristolainen that I would describe as ”one way offensive pp quarterbacks” all good in their role but pretty bad/flawed defensively. We also need a two way partner for Dahlin.

Buffalo could probably pay a lot for a 2/3C, young scoring winger or two way RHD.
Our GM is on record that first round picks could be traded for young-ish players under team control similar to the Montour trade.

Miller is 26 at 3.875 million for 3 years.

Advanced stats and shot suppression numbers list Miller as the best Vegas defenseman defensively but that isn't the case. He is often given third pair duties here but to his credit he is almost always paired with Holden or Merrill who are both inconsistent defensively and required someone to watch them.

So he had those good numbers while playing on the third pair but with defenseman who had their share of blunders.

He is capable of a top 4 role but it is up to his effort. He was benched game 1, we sucked and lost. Gallant made comments that it was up to Miller to put in the effort to be the player he is capable of.

He came back and seemed to get the message for games 2-7 and was our second best defenseman after Theodore in the playoffs (better than Schmidt was in the series.)

I think I would absolutely feel comfortable with him as Schmidt's defensive pairing in our top 4 if cap issues weren't something the team was trying to mend.

Reactions: HaNotsri

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I get the strong feeling that McGMs would move Pacioretty +++ to get Kreider at 50%. He was mentioned by Lawless at the trade deadline, and I thought it was curious since he's a LW.

Rangers fans believe VGK have been talking with Gorton since the deadline about a deal.

Also we need a GDT for Draft Day.

Reactions: Fixxer

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
This talk of Gusev being packaged is intriguing. Granted, he does not clear any room, but his potential value could prevent McGMs from losing a known asset and getting under the cap. Something like Gusev+Clarkson for a pick and cash considerations (do they even do that in hockey?) or a prospect. That, plus trading Eakin or Miller for picks would allow for signing Bill and Subban and off we go....

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
McGMs seen talking to someone that looks like Pat Verbeek of the Red Wings...

This better not be about Yzerman trying to get Gusev.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
FWIW Pierre McGuire said on the radio the other day he had not heard Pacioretty or Stastny's names out there, just the 'defenseman'. He also said he had dinner with execs from a team and they were ranting about how they don't know the cap yet...

And today he was spotted chatting with McPhee and McCrimmon on the draft floor.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I think Pacioretty is ideal to move, even if the value is not there, because we would finally draw a line under that awful Tatar trade for good and we could have three lines that all are well rounded and balanced. And keep a good fourth line.

Playmaker/ Goalscorer- Two way center- defensively responsible winger who can put up points

All three lines set up that way.

Gusev- Stastny- Stone
Marchessault- Karlsson- Smith
Haula- Eakin- Tuch
Carrier- Bellemare- Reaves
Zykov, Nosek

We can keep Reaves, Eakin, Haula and Bellemare if we offload Pacioretty's 7 cap hit. We would only need to trade Clarkson, Miller and Holden on top of that.

Schmidt- Whitecloud
McNabb- Theodore
Merrill- Engelland
Schuldt, Bischoff

Fleury
Subban/ Dansk

After watching IIHF, I'd be a fan of trying Marchy Stastny Stone

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I think I'm the only one here that doesn't want to see Patches traded. I think he bounces back with a 30 goal season.

I think Reilly Smith gets moved if a top 6 winger gets moved. I like him a lot, but I just got a gut feeling about it and my gut is usually right :sarcasm:

Reactions: Vegas Mac

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I think I'm the only one here that doesn't want to see Patches traded. I think he bounces back with a 30 goal season.

I think Reilly Smith gets moved if a top 6 winger gets moved. I like him a lot, but I just got a gut feeling about it and my gut is usually right :sarcasm:

You're not alone. I would hold Patches too.

I see no reason to believe it won't be a defenseman, though, that rumor seems strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad