Speculation: Patches or Stastny to be moved?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I said this a week ago! No way could it be Stastny, we fall apart at center without him.

They can't have much value - and well...they were one of the best lines in the playoffs.

He added he feels reasonably confident so their names are out there. He's pretty reliable as far as I know.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
They can't have much value - and well...they were one of the best lines in the playoffs.

He added he feels reasonably confident so their names are out there. He's pretty reliable as far as I know.

I think Pacioretty is ideal to move, even if the value is not there, because we would finally draw a line under that awful Tatar trade for good and we could have three lines that all are well rounded and balanced. And keep a good fourth line.

Playmaker/ Goalscorer- Two way center- defensively responsible winger who can put up points

All three lines set up that way.

Gusev- Stastny- Stone
Marchessault- Karlsson- Smith
Haula- Eakin- Tuch
Carrier- Bellemare- Reaves
Zykov, Nosek

We can keep Reaves, Eakin, Haula and Bellemare if we offload Pacioretty's 7 cap hit. We would only need to trade Clarkson, Miller and Holden on top of that.

Schmidt- Whitecloud
McNabb- Theodore
Merrill- Engelland
Schuldt, Bischoff

Fleury
Subban/ Dansk

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Agreed- that term and cap his could be an anchor going forward. But if I'm other teams, I'm looking at Stastny- he's only under contract for two more seasons.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Pacioretty coming off the books would create the space to get players signed and trade Miller and Clarkson as a package if needed so we get out of this cap with positive assets, even if it isn't as much as we could get for them.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Wouldn't be surprised that team expected cap to be higher (like closer to $85m) than what it may end up at (~$82m). So they could have fit Gusev in to the team structure better.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Wouldn't be surprised that team expected cap to be higher (like closer to $85m) than what it may end up at (~$82m). So they could have fit Gusev in to the team structure better.

It's possible but doesn't that mean our GMs then are pretty incompetent to plan for the very high end of a cap and scramble when they are off by 3 million?

The likely 83 was known before the playoffs, I think.

At any rate, trading him does not solve our long term cap outlook the way Pacioretty would. We also have multiple competent replacements and would get good assets back. Gusev being an unknown would not.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'd love to have Kapanen for Miller if they can make the $$$ work. Throw in Nosek for Gauthier for a bit of extra cap savings.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'd love to have Kapanen for Miller if they can make the $$$ work. Throw in Nosek for Gauthier for a bit of extra cap savings.

It is worrying they didn't say Miller specifically. We can't be thinking of trading another defenseman can we?

I think even if the offers were terrible Vegas has the option of attaching Marchessault to Clarkson and taking a crap return. Then trading Miller for whatever return and being fine.

We should not have to trade any other defenseman.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It is worrying they didn't say Miller specifically. We can't be thinking of trading another defenseman can we?

I think even if the offers were terrible Vegas has the option of attaching Marchessault to Clarkson and taking a crap return. Then trading Miller for whatever return and being fine.

We should not have to trade any other defenseman.

Pierre McGuire hates to name players that are being shopped because he knows it gets out there to them and their families. It's Miller.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Pierre McGuire hates to name players that are being shopped because he knows it gets out there to them and their families. It's Miller.

Oh okay. That's nice of him.

Who needs a RD that seems likeliest Devils, Leafs, Stars maybe.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Oh okay. That's nice of him.

Who needs a RD that seems likeliest Devils, Leafs, Stars maybe.

Unless Dubas is bluffing the Leafs can't take Miller's cap hit. Outside the Pacific I'd guess the Sabres, Red Wings and Devils would want Miller the most.

The team most desperate (other than the Leafs) would be the Oilers. Wouldn't that be something giving McDavid a great PP point option to use against us 4 times a year...

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Unless Dubas is bluffing the Leafs can't take Miller's cap hit. Outside the Pacific I'd guess the Sabres, Red Wings and Devils would want Miller the most.

The team most desperate (other than the Leafs) would be the Oilers. Wouldn't that be something giving McDavid a great PP point option to use against us 4 times a year...

Buffalo has 8 31 and 39 right? And they have an already young team and enough picks going forward? They are also looking to compete now.

Would they be willing to trade 31 to get a player they need maybe. Miller also has a relatively low cap hit and his contract would have only a year left when they needed to make room for a Dahlin extension, so he would be easily tradeable.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Buffalo has 8 31 and 39 right? And they have an already young team and enough picks going forward? They are also looking to compete now.

Would they be willing to trade 31 to get a player they need maybe. Miller also has a relatively low cap hit and his contract would have only a year left when they needed to make room for a Dahlin extension, so he would be easily tradeable.

Montour is due a huge raise after next season as well, so Miller's low cap would give them flexibility.

They pick 7 and 31, and then 67. I think that 31OA could be had plus a small extra.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Lightning were quietly interested as well. They were rumored to be eyeing Ristolainen, and Miller is a similar, cheaper option.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Montour is due a huge raise after next season as well, so Miller's low cap would give them flexibility.

They pick 7 and 31, and then 67. I think that 31OA could be had plus a small extra.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Lightning were quietly interested as well. They were rumored to be eyeing Ristolainen, and Miller is a similar, cheaper option.

That's good that there is a market for him even in our cap problem.

The Hurricanes have 28, 36, 37 and 59. Could they be a deal for Pacioretty? They have the cap room and dont they need good forwards?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That's good that there is a market for him even in our cap problem.

The Hurricanes have 28, 36, 37 and 59. Could they be a deal for Pacioretty? They have the cap room and dont they need good forwards?

I can't see them trading for him. Patches makes 10.5m in actual dollars next season.

Buffalo, however, would want him. They're after Zucker and they just signed Skinner to 9m out of desperation. A package of Patches + Miller would fetch something nice from the Sabres, I think.

and the Jets might pay a good price for Miller. They just lost Trouba and they're having trouble re-signing Myers to a reasonable contract.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I can't see them trading for him. Patches makes 10.5m in actual dollars next season.

Buffalo, however, would want him. They're after Zucker and they just signed Skinner to 9m out of desperation. A package of Patches + Miller would fetch something nice from the Sabres, I think.

and the Jets might pay a good price for Miller. They just lost Trouba and they're having trouble re-signing Myers to a reasonable contract.

Can Buffalo add almost 20 million with three players? That's a lot of money, although isn't there still two seasons until Dahlin and Middlestadt and a few others would need raises? I think Miller in his final season would be easy to trade. and Pacioretty in his last two seasons would probably also be easy to trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad