Player Discussion Pat Maroon

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Maroon knows what he is, versus what he used to be, verus what he's here for now.

As I watched that game last night, I realized how badly this team needed toughness the last few seasons, given its intangible benefits. There's something soothing about knowing he's in the lineup.
I always slept a little better/deeper when my Doberman was alive and sleeping on the first floor after he did bed-check. I'd hear him walking down the stairs and plunking down in the middle of the hall and off I'd go...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wonder if we had played the Bolts, seeing as Maroon won a few cups with them, if he would have played them less aggressively? I`d like to think not but ..

• Haha
Reactions: FrankerC

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Slow and invisible in this one. His rival in Reaves was what Maroon should have matched tonight. Game 1 impactful, game 2 unable to remotely be a presence on the forecheck due to slow speed.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I don't know what they are thinking having him out on the powerplay.
He does a better job of screening the goalie than anybody else on the team. Leafs don't move him and he is inches from Samsonov.

It's been to long since they had a real screener on the power play.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII, BMC and DKH

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He does a better job of screening the goalie than anybody else on the team. Leafs don't move him and he is inches from Samsonov.

But does that even work they way this PP is set-up though? It's not like they are using shot volume and firing from the point to create chances. They basically play keep-away trying to feed a east-west one-timer. His poor skating hurts their puck possession and puck retrievals I can see where his big body as a net front would be useful in some PP schemes but this doesn't appear to be one of them.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

JVR is the only other Bruin who does this as well. I'm hoping Brazeau develops that skill too. The PP is too predictable- too much perimeter passing looking for a Pasta one timer wrist shot.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
But does that even work they way this PP is set-up though? It's not like they are using shot volume and firing from the point to create chances. They basically play keep-away trying to feed an east-west one-timer. His poor skating hurts their puck possession and puck retrievals I can see where his big body as a net front would be useful in some PP schemes but this doesn't appear to be one of them.
Great point…

Reactions: BruinDust

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
But does that even work they way this PP is set-up though? It's not like they are using shot volume and firing from the point to create chances. They basically play keep-away trying to feed a east-west one-timer. His poor skating hurts their puck possession and puck retrievals I can see where his big body as a net front would be useful in some PP schemes but this doesn't appear to be one of them.
I think they have tried to simplify the power play. They tried a new setup with a couple games left in the season, it worked well game 1 when they were shooting more, not so much last night.

Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think they have tried to simplify the power play. They tried a new setup with a couple games left in the season, it worked well game 1 when they were shooting more, not so much last night.

I think that's the idea. Simplify the PP but it's hard to break old habits. At the end of the day this is a puck possession team in the offensive zone and that is what they are used to.

False Start

May 8, 2018
They lost by a goal. McAvoy was too aggressive on Matthews, he should’ve backed off him a few feet and he wouldn’t have got burned on the GWG. Otherwise that game goes to OT.

Bruins Leafs are destined to go 7 games. Back to Swayman game 3. The PP needs to start clicking with all the gimme PP’s Leafs are gifting the B’s.

Entertaining series so far

I didn't expect to sweep them anyway.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In a must score situation that was their answer? All that says to me is that the team is dangerously thin on scoring and that they need to fix it in the offseason because it's not good enough.

My main takeaway from this series thus far is the next time an elite forward in his prime becomes available, the Bruins need to be all over it. I don't care if he's a center or a winger. Your not winning a cup with just one elite forward and they can't rely on a 36-year old Marchand to be that other elite forward anymore.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
In a must score situation that was their answer? All that says to me is that the team is dangerously thin on scoring and that they need to fix it in the offseason because it's not good enough.
I think after last season Monty is a bit too hesitant now to make changes. You gotta put your best 5 man unit out in that situation, and Maroon just should not be one of those 5.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My main takeaway from this series thus far is the next time an elite forward in his prime becomes available, the Bruins need to be all over it. I don't care if he's a center or a winger. Your not winning a cup with just one elite forward and they can't rely on a 36-year old Marchand to be that other elite forward anymore.
Well that’s the brutal truth, right? Marchand has been slowing down for a few years now due to age, mileage, and injury. Expecting him to be the same buzzaaw he was at 26 is the problem. And leaving it all on one guy like they do with Pasta gets them nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad