Pat Kane Investigation talk [MOD: Post #129]

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The problem with that is, as much as I think Kane is an immature punk, I know first-hand just how many other irresponsible and manipulative people are out there. When they cross paths as they often do, some form of cesspool drama will come from it, and trying to split hairs over who was more wrong is a waste of time. The legal system has a responsibility to go through that process, but from a more basic moral perspective I just don't care that much (depending on exact circumstances). Most of the time, these people simply deserve each other and the resulting misery/embarrassment.

We don't know all the facts and probably never will. It's obvious to me Kane is walking away from this incident without charges. The reliability of the victim is in shambles. I don't know what the rule is in the U.S. but in Canada the Crown (prosecution) has a duty to only charge when it has reasonable possibility of winning.

That stunt the mother pulled is absurd. I read it's not criminal but it's disgusting.

Megaera

Apr 12, 2006
New York City
We don't know all the facts and probably never will. It's obvious to me Kane is walking away from this incident without charges. The reliability of the victim is in shambles. I don't know what the rule is in the U.S. but in Canada the Crown (prosecution) has a duty to only charge when it has reasonable possibility of winning.

It would be unusual for a prosecutor to charge if he doesn't believe he has a reasonable possibility of winning here as well. There's obviously a lot the general public doesn't know in this case (which is as it should be--it would be better for all involved if we knew far less than we do) but based on what we do know, I agree that it seems more likely than not that he won't be charged.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It would be unusual for a prosecutor to charge if he doesn't believe he has a reasonable possibility of winning here as well. There's obviously a lot the general public doesn't know in this case (which is as it should be--it would be better for all involved if we knew far less than we do) but based on what we do know, I agree that it seems more likely than not that he won't be charged.

Not just unusually, but also unethical

Megaera

Apr 12, 2006
New York City
Not just unusually, but also unethical

Well yes, but at least according to the public defenders I know, it does happen, so I didn't want to say that prosecutors here never do that. I suppose I could have said that something like that wouldn't happen to someone like Kane though.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
It's staggering to me how people (friends of mine) that are otherwise rational human beings have lost all sense in this matter. I've honestly broken off friendships with people for the disgusting things they've posted via social media regarding the whole thing. It's gotten to the point where I just avoid talking about hockey.

And OT: I love Downers Grove, there's a great Brazilian steak house there...

Same here. The victim-blaming has felt overwhelming at times. My brother has become particularly frustrated. He used to work in a counseling center for sexual assault survivors, so it's struck a nerve with him. He's mentioned needing some time before he's ready to talk anything hockey, and with how the game and the Sabres have been something that we've shared so closely over the years as brothers, it's been difficult to reconcile.

Response to OT: Me too. Moved up here in July from downstate and it's just been amazing. I've heard of the steakhouse but havent been out that way yet, it's out on Butterfield Rd and I'm closer to Woodridge. Send me a DM as the season's starting, it'd be cool to get together and watch some games with some fellow Sabre fans in the area! :)

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Where was Tim Graham getting his information?
As we watch his credibility swirl down the bowl, it becomes plainly obvious.

Chad Kelly and Kane accuser had same attorney. Buffalo News with exclusives on both cases.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Where was Tim Graham getting his information?
As we watch his credibility swirl down the bowl, it becomes plainly obvious.

Chad Kelly and Kane accuser had same attorney. Buffalo News with exclusives on both cases.

Who is Chad Kelly?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
If you think she's really anonymous, you aren't Googling it enough.

Her name is out there and that is why the stress of the situation is so bad.

Was it really the lawyer that messed up and revealed the name during that press conference? Where in a video someone took a screen shot and you could see the name on the bag for her clothing?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Was it really the lawyer that messed up and revealed the name during that press conference? Where in a video someone took a screen shot and you could see the name on the bag for her clothing?

I'm pretty sure it was out well before the rape kit hoax press conference.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ts-to-cooperate---buffalo-news-152115692.html

But the stress wasn’t just related to the investigation, one imagines. The complainant’s name had been openly discussed on social media for months by Kane supporters, and at least one Chicago sports blog posted a tweet from her since-deleted account.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
Obvious statement: I have no idea whether he did it or not.

---

This is one reason why so many sexual assaults never gets reported. Even if, as the accuser, you are eventually legally vindicated, you've gone through hell to get there. Add in the disparity in social status and (speaking statistically) wealth between the accuser and accused, and it gets even worse.

Yes, she should stay anonymous (or as anonymous as awful doxxers will let her be), because outing someone against their will who brings forward a claim of rape is not how a legal system best serves its populace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad