Confirmed with Link: Pat Foley to Call Final Season of Blackhawks Hockey in 2021-22

Nellie Fox

Jun 22, 2020
North Mankato, MN
Foley doesn't want to do it anymore.
Is that really the case? I'm not being argumentative, I just don't know. I kind of got the impression it was like Bert Blyleven with the Twins a couple of years ago. It was "hey, how about you go to a part-time schedule for one season while we audition your much younger replacements, and then we both act like it was your decision to retire?"

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Is that really the case? I'm not being argumentative, I just don't know. I kind of got the impression it was like Bert Blyleven with the Twins a couple of years ago. It was "hey, how about you go to a part-time schedule for one season while we audition your much younger replacements, and then we both act like it was your decision to retire?"
Did you read the article?

He's tired of traveling and ready to snowbird.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Pulling some of the important quotes for reference.

"So I said to them, next year, assuming we’re back to right, I’m traveling, I got 70 or 82 games, whatever the number is, and I’ve got to broadcast for a bunch of teams I haven’t seen play for two years. That’s going to be a lot of work. As an example, the next game I work is going to be Friday. I haven’t seen New Jersey play in two years.
“I just said, I don’t have an answer for you. And they immediately said, we got to plan ahead then. We don’t want to get caught. And I think right away, you guys said, we’re going to use this season as a transitional year. So, that’s how it shook down.”

Foley then said: “I think the thing that I learned from this year is that — I really hate to admit it — I don’t think I can do the grind. I don’t think I can do 82 games. I don’t want to admit that, but I think I have to say that.

“Going back to Rocky’s words,” Faulkner said, “Pat Foley is part of the Blackhawks family, whether you are sitting in that chair or you’re sitting in a seat. … He’s always going to be part of the Blackhawks family. We will still be having breakfast here this time next year, might still be convincing you to try to call a game. Actually, I won’t be. You’ll be somewhere warm for the winter.”

Foley laughed and said, “Yeah, it won’t be in February. That’s for sure.”

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
7D53D168-BB2F-468F-8F34-AC5AF6E18EBB.png

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I find it a little bit crazy that Foley's last game is going to be 2 weeks before the season ends. You would think he'd get the last game of the season, or at the very least the last home game of the season.
I imagine that Foley is sick of calling games for a losing team and is okay with missing all that extra travel.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Disagree, i think shes really good!
Really good at what? Regurgitating stale hockey commentary as in, "Hawks really need to come out strong and get that next goal". Everything she says is just plain old obvious Hockey 101 things.

Bring me Adam Burish, Sharp, Brian Campbell or Colin Fraser or a rotation of any of them. I want someone with some chops, not just a legendary hockey last name.

Nellie Fox

Jun 22, 2020
North Mankato, MN
Really good at what? Regurgitating stale hockey commentary as in, "Hawks really need to come out strong and get that next goal". Everything she says is just plain old obvious Hockey 101 things.

Bring me Adam Burish, Sharp, Brian Campbell or Colin Fraser or a rotation of any of them. I want someone with some chops, not just a legendary hockey last name.
Just what I was going to say. She either states the painfully obvious, or just restates what the play-by-play guy just said.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
It takes years to develop into a good play-by-play guy. Vosters may or may not get there, but it's generally jarring when a team's "voice" changes. We'll see, it's hard to judge these things right off the bat. He has a good voice and he's fairly young so it will take time to find his rhythm.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
It takes years to develop into a good play-by-play guy. Vosters may or may not get there, but it's generally jarring when a team's "voice" changes. We'll see, it's hard to judge these things right off the bat. He has a good voice and he's fairly young so it will take time to find his rhythm.

The transition and development would be smoother if the person they brought on had any interest in the sport they're calling. Vosters knew nothing about the game before getting a shot. That's truly bizarre to me.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
He's been great ----glad they brought him back too.....some of the shtick gets old, but he's been a part of it all---especially the runs....decent sized shoes to fill for the next guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad