Pastrnak vs Nylander

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Comparing a guy that plays on a line with a top 5 C in hockey/selke favourite and a ppg winger to a guy who plays with Matthews and Hyman? Matthews can obviously hold his own on that line too but you're an idiot if you can't see how one guy is in a way better position to succeed.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Comparing a guy that plays on a line with a top 5 C in hockey/selke favourite and a ppg winger to a guy who plays with Matthews and Hyman? Matthews can obviously hold his own on that line too but you're an idiot if you can't see how one guy is in a way better position to succeed.

But thing is, I have read that Nylander is like the most talented player in the draft (2014), noone can match his offensive qualities, (I even read that only McDavid could rival Nylanders offensive talent). So surely Nylander could lift players like Matthews and Hyman to the moon. I mean Mcdavid played with lesser skilled Draisaitl and Maroon and made them legit superstar/rocket caliber.. atleast what I have read....

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I never once dismissed Brad’s numbers, like I said he’s an amazing player. Marchand will be 30 next season. I’m factoring in age, position, overall game. Matthews is def more valuable overall.
Definitely. But it wasn't trade value what was being talked about. It was someone who said that Marchand is a better player than Matthews. And you disagreeing with that. Numbers say that he is a better player now... that's all I am saying.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
does help that pasta plays with a top-5 lw and the best all around C in the league. nylander plays with a grinder and a young star in the making who are not as good as the boston duo.
I would say it does. But for once and for all you guys need to get a consensus about Matthews. Some days I am told that he is better than everything Boston has. Some other days, I am told that Bergeron & Marchand are better. It's a one way road.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I would say it does. But for once and for all you guys need to get a consensus about Matthews. Some days I am told that he is better than everything Boston has. Some other days, I am told that Bergeron & Marchand are better. It's a one way road.
he's worse than marchand and bergeron but better than every other forward

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
1.32 ppg in the season + 1.28 ppg over the last 82 games he played (55 goals and 50 assists for 105 points), I am sorry but it beats anything that has come out of Toronto so far in the same time line. By far.

Yep he is currently MUCH better then Matthews.
Pastrnak is better then him this year as well (and last year)

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
marchand does have better linemates. nylander is inconsistent and hyman is who he is. ofc marchand would have better numbers
1.32 ppg vs 0.96 is not just "better numbers". It's WAY much better numbers. It's better than anybody else in the league as a matter of fact. Let's not reduce this to a "Oh well, he plays with Bergeron". He played with Bergeron his entire career, he wasn't at his level before. Not even remotely.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Because it’s hardly uncommon for a rookie or sophomore player to have a few momentary struggles. The label “streaky” could be given to almost any young player in the league - even guys like Laine or Matthews.

Anyways, the fact that you don’t like the sh% “excuse” because it doesn’t fit your narrative is irrelevant, fact remains in both instances it was unsustainable (as it would be for any skilled young player) and in both instances we’ve seen the natural correction take place.

We are talking Pastranak vs Nylander. Not other players. And right now, whatever you want to term it. Shooting % normalization, bad puck luck, or what it simply is. Consistency vs Inconsistency. Pastranak > Nylander.

You can point to all the possible excuses or reasons for Nylander's struggles in goal scoring. But the fact of the matter is over 133 games, an ever growing sample size. A term you also reference alot. Pastranak has been the better and more consistent producer. Whereas Nylander has been a streaky goal scorer throughout his last 2 seasons.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
lol wut. many leafs fans will say matthews is better than both bergeron and marchand so be generous i said that
Heck, I might directly quote you on this opinion of yours! Ahahahah ;)

Seriously though, it's kinda refreshing and honest. So, thank you. :thumbu:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Just making a switch to C from W doesn't automatically change one better. The love for C's over W's here is crazy at times.

This **** is why Leaf fans are the way they are on these boards. Garbage like this.

It's not a 1 way street, the almost everyday polls/threads about Nylander from few years ago didn't help either for example.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
pasta for sure, he seems to push pace and drives even with his teamates

nylander gets a bit passive and relies on matthews at times, nylander needs to get his own line to shine, he truly is a center in the making.

for now pasta by a lot, future i think it will be a little closer.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Just making a switch to C from W doesn't automatically change one better. The love for C's over W's here is crazy at times.

It's not a 1 way street, the almost everyday polls/threads about Nylander from few years ago didn't help either for example.

tbf its not that nylander is a center and would get extra "points" its that he plays a lot better at it then as a winger. everything goes through him and his skating and he drives the line instead of being bit passive with matthews and deferring to him when things get tough.

but yeah pasta by a lot for now.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I'm pretty sure Leafs fans are claiming to have deepest top 9 in other thread. :laugh:

This is Pasta and not close. Even if Nylander hits his potential idk if he will be better than Pasta is now.

Am I claiming that? Some Canadians like Hawaain pizza but that’s doesn’t mean I like that abomination.

I don’t mind you laughing at my opinion. I think time will tell, and I see Nylander being on par with Pastrnak over the next 10 years of there careers, but as a C. I am very curious what will happen to Boston once Berg and the Rat can no longer drive the teams success.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
We are talking Pastranak vs Nylander. Not other players. And right now, whatever you want to term it. Shooting % normalization, bad puck luck, or what it simply is. Consistency vs Inconsistency. Pastranak > Nylander.

You can point to all the possible excuses or reasons for Nylander's struggles in goal scoring. But the fact of the matter is over 133 games, an ever growing sample size. A term you also reference alot. Pastranak has been the better and more consistent producer. Whereas Nylander has been a streaky goal scorer throughout his last 2 seasons.

Let’s just see how their careers play out. Wheeler and Scheifele we’re both late bloomers, I think Nylander has that same gear. I think his stats would impress you more if he had a Bergeron, Marchand, Wheeler, Getzlaf type on the team, but unfortunately, the load falls squarely on Matthews and Nylander shoulders most nights.

For the record, if you go back and read your comparisons of Ehlers and Nylander, they sounded very similar to what you are saying now. Check the stats on those two today - the huge gap no longer exists. I see both those players closing the gap on Pastrnak too, with time.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Let’s just see how their careers play out. Wheeler and Scheifele we’re both late bloomers, I think Nylander has that same gear. I think his stats would impress you more if he had a Bergeron, Marchand, Wheeler, Getzlaf type on the team, but unfortunately, the load falls squarely on Matthews and Nylander shoulders most nights.

For the record, if you go back and read your comparisons of Ehlers and Nylander, they sounded very similar to what you are saying now. Check the stats on those two today - the huge gap no longer exists. I see both those players closing the gap on Pastrnak too, with time.

Re bolded... And who says that Pastrnak doesn't have a higher gear too? Maybe Pastrnak's current level of performance is not his absolute best. Is he a finished product at 70-80 points @ age 21? Have we seen all Pastrnak can do? Is he already at his peak? Maybe Pastrnak can make the gap even wider.

Food for thought.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
tbf its not that nylander is a center and would get extra "points" its that he plays a lot better at it then as a winger. everything goes through him and his skating and he drives the line instead of being bit passive with matthews and deferring to him when things get tough.

but yeah pasta by a lot for now.

We have no idea of that, and how he would regularly match up against the best C's in the league. It's just a guess today.

Nylander is a great young player, but Pasta so far has been on a different level in the NHL.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think there is a huge difference but kinda hard to say no to a 21 year old kid en route to a second season with 30+ goals.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Pasta now and likely in the future.

I however do enjoy the irony of Leafs fans simultaneously arguing that they have the deepest top 9 in the league AND that poor Nylander doesn't play with teammates as good as Pastrnak's
what does pastrnak have to do with depth. he's plays on their first line?

pastrnak plays on one of the best lines in the league. but it's their first line. pastrnaks production has nothing to do with what is in their second and third line.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
But thing is, I have read that Nylander is like the most talented player in the draft (2014), noone can match his offensive qualities, (I even read that only McDavid could rival Nylanders offensive talent). So surely Nylander could lift players like Matthews and Hyman to the moon. I mean Mcdavid played with lesser skilled Draisaitl and Maroon and made them legit superstar/rocket caliber.. atleast what I have read....

Pretty sure you didn't read any of that.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
I think when it's all said and done nylander will have the better career. He's so darn talented. Babcock has been treating him with baby gloves. I don't think pastrnak has had to play on a 4th line or with a bum like Hyman this year.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
I think when it's all said and done nylander will have the better career. He's so darn talented. Babcock has been treating him with baby gloves. I don't think pastrnak has had to play on a 4th line or with a bum like Hyman this year.

Pastrnak also doesn't play with any generational players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad