Pastrnak vs Nylander

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Huge Nylander fan - but Pastrnak.

It's hard to tell what will happen with Nylander - maybe when he's traded we'll get a better look at what he is/will be.

Under Babcock though he has no chance of eclipsing what Pasta already is.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Huge Nylander fan - but Pastrnak.

It's hard to tell what will happen with Nylander - maybe when he's traded we'll get a better look at what he is/will be.

Under Babcock though he has no chance of eclipsing what Pasta already is.
Why? He's playing with Matthews, how is that not a great position to be in?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Pasta has the luxury of playing with Vets, Willie has been playing with youngsters. For fantasy purposes, I would probably pick Pasta for the next few years, but 5+ years from now when bot hare in their true primes, I think Willie (if he stays with the Leafs) will be better purely because of the players he'll be playing with.

Reactions: RIPFORUMRDS

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
depends if nylander can become a C. if not, then pasta, if yes, then nylander

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017

He's a passenger playing with Matthews. As a result of this he always looks to pass off to Matthews (Hyman being largely meh on O). This causes him to hesitate when using his shot, leading to bad shots, and little goals.

Nylander should be centering and driving his own line. For him it's generally been a passenger with Matthews or floundering on the 4th line (when Babcock feels like it).

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Pasta gets an elite two way C and the best offensive winger in the league to learn from and play with. Willie is still learning and growing with the young guns. Down the line I think they'll be even and Willie I think might even pull ahead but right now Pasta is just in a much better spot to play the game he wants to. Willie is restricted. I don't remember the last time I heard a Bruins fan talking about Pasta spending time on the 4th line. Willie gets stapled there atleast once a month.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Pasta has the luxury of playing with Vets, Willie has been playing with youngsters. For fantasy purposes, I would probably pick Pasta for the next few years, but 5+ years from now when bot hare in their true primes, I think Willie (if he stays with the Leafs) will be better purely because of the players he'll be playing with.

But what about the hype and rating of Matthews being a top 10 player and top 5 center in the NHL? That can't be a bad place to be even though Matthews isn't a vet.

Oh and my answer... Pastrnak quite easily. The kid is solid and proven to be the future of Bruins along with other good youngsters.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He's a passenger playing with Matthews. As a result of this he always looks to pass off to Matthews (Hyman being largely meh on O). This causes him to hesitate when using his shot, leading to bad shots, and little goals.

Nylander should be centering and driving his own line. For him it's generally been a passenger with Matthews or floundering on the 4th line (when Babcock feels like it).

He would know talent when he see's it. Oh and easy Pasta over Nylander

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
But what about the hype and rating of Matthews being a top 10 player and top 5 center in the NHL? That can't be a bad place to be even though Matthews isn't a vet.

Oh and my answer... Pastrnak quite easily. The kid is solid and proven to be the future of Bruins along with other good youngsters.

First off that's where the MEDIA puts him and fans just run with it.

Secondly, he's not in a bad spot with Matty at all, its just that that whole line is young and inexperienced as a whole and so they go through growing pains. Which is normal and part of the process. The problem for Willie is that Babcock doesn't allow any player to just go out and free wheel (something that Pasta does and excels at). And when players struggling individually there's no place to hide for them. Nylander was absolutely snakebit for the first 2/3 of the season this year and he was demoted to the 4th line as a result of his lack of production. Matthews being hurt also hasn't helped his cause because he was paired up with Marleau at C. Marleau is a fantastic player but he's not exactly in his prime right now.

All in all, so far in their careers, both players have been slotted into different roles on the team. Pasta is a prime weapon for Boston and the team doesn't put any restraints on the kid. Nylander is a prime weapon for the Leafs but there's a massive leash on him, Matthews, Marner and pretty much all the young kids. Babcock is very rigid in his approach and systems. Up until last week essentially we weren't even playing our best roster. He finally pulled his head our of his ass and made changes to the lineup. Something that Leafs nation as a whole has been bitching about for pretty much 2/3 of the season thus far.

Anyway, Pasta is in a great spot right now compared to Willy but long term Willy should be in a better spot than Pasta. Once the Leafs mature as a team (especially the kids), Willie get more freedom to play his game and hopefully he will be shifted to C where I think he is better suited.

Both guys are great players but AT THIS VERY MOMENT IN TIME, I agree with you I'd roll with Pasta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad