News Article: Pascal Dupuis - "Why I'm coming back"

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
As far as predeposition to blood clots. None of this occurred in his life prior to the knee injury, that had to have some role in this I would think. But that aside.

If the Medical professionals give him the green light, why would he not play?

I would hope that Mrs. Dupuis laid the law down that he can not hide any medical things that occur from now on. I don't think he would hide anything again.

The other aspect being that GMJR said that he would not be cleared to return unless the doctors were 100% ok with it, I think the more precise quote was something like they were going to be very very careful with Pascal returning.

So if he's being honest about his medical condition with everyone, and the doctors have cleared him, and he can still play at this level. Why would he not?

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Exactly. Everybody here just wants that 3mm off the books. I get it, but let's at least be honest here.

I mean yeah it would be a huge issue if his cap hit prevented the kessel trade, but it didn't.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I will also say that one thing that's starting to get on my nerves in these Dupuis interviews/articles is his perception of everyone doubting him all the time.

He seems to take the idea that he doesn't provide enough to play with Sid as someone saying he's not an impactful or effective hockey player. That's not how it is.

He needs to realize that Sid is the best player in the world, and the vast majority of players in the league would be considered "not good enough" in that role.

It sounds like something from the Pens PR group, tbh. Either they got it from him or they gave it to him.

The Crosby bit sounds excessive. Dupuis is/was a really good third liner and that's a compliment, saying he's not a 1st line winger isn't some great insult. Even DCKessel wouldn't be because Dupuis is a 1st line winger or a top 6 winger.

Using being seen as not good enough as motivation is one thing but when it becomes OTT you've got a problem because at some point you really aren't good enough and those people are right. The martyr complex zone.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If you ignore that stupidity and don't think he'd do it again?

O I don't know. The unlikelihood that he'll make it through 82 games and hopefully a long playoff run. And then having to use assets to replace his spot on the roster mid season when there's still plenty of capable third line players out there right now that'll cost you a fraction of what Dupuis makes.

I hope he's learned from his past mistake and he can stay healthy. But I doubt it happens.

What's the alternative though? Do you expect him to willingly give up 7 million dollars so the Pens have the cap space to sign his replacement? You can't just say LTIR him because the doctor's said he's healthy enough to play.

We can argue that he should hang it up, but he's still under contract, he loves the game, and the doctors have determined that he is healthy enough to play. The only thing that makes me uneasy is that he has covered up a clot in the past and from these articles, doesn't seem sure that he wouldn't cover one up again.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If you ignore that stupidity and don't think he'd do it again?

O I don't know. The unlikelihood that he'll make it through 82 games and hopefully a long playoff run. And then having to use assets to replace his spot on the roster mid season when there's still plenty of capable third line players out there right now that'll cost you a fraction of what Dupuis makes.

I hope he's learned from his past mistake and he can stay healthy. But I doubt it happens.

If that won't teach him, nothing will.

Any talk about replacements isn't really relevant since he's under contract and cleared to play, and it's obviously his prerogative to continue. But for the record, a healthy Dupuis is better than just about any other option we could get in UFA at that price.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not saying there is one. Just saying its not a good situation for either party.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Agreed but if he needs that chip on his shoulder to be a better player, I'm cool with it. That said, MJ better put him in the right role for the team, not for Duper's ego.

I agree with this as well. The team really seems to have been pushing this idea about Dupuis transitioning into a new bottom-6 role throughout the course of the off-season. I hope they stick with it.

I've said it a lot, but when Fehr is healthy, a Fehr-Dupuis combo will be so much fun to watch. They'll be so frustrating for other teams to play against.

It sounds like something from the Pens PR group, tbh. Either they got it from him or they gave it to him.

The Crosby bit sounds excessive. Dupuis is/was a really good third liner and that's a compliment, saying he's not a 1st line winger isn't some great insult. Even DCKessel wouldn't be because Dupuis is a 1st line winger or a top 6 winger.

Using being seen as not good enough as motivation is one thing but when it becomes OTT you've got a problem because at some point you really aren't good enough and those people are right. The martyr complex zone.

Yeah this is the third or fourth time I've seen Dupuis make this kind of comment about playing with Sid.

I understand that he likes playing with him, and I appreciate that he wants to push himself to his very best, but some level of self-awareness is important.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree with this as well. The team really seems to have been pushing this idea about Dupuis transitioning into a new bottom-6 role throughout the course of the off-season. I hope they stick with it.

I've said it a lot, but when Fehr is healthy, a Fehr-Dupuis combo will be so much fun to watch. They'll be so frustrating for other teams to play against.

Yup. With Cullen in the fold, assuming everyone is healthy, it seems like Fehr will move to wing. A 3rd line of Duper-Bonino-Fehr could be excellent.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If that won't teach him, nothing will.

Any talk about replacements isn't really relevant since he's under contract and cleared to play, and it's obviously his prerogative to continue. But for the record, a healthy Dupuis is better than just about any other option we could get in UFA at that price.

We'll see what the rest of the free agent class goes for. I doubt any of them get near Dupuis money.

A healthy Dupuis is a question mark. If he can even play at the level he was at before is a question mark.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We'll see what the rest of the free agent class goes for. I doubt any of them get near Dupuis money.

A healthy Dupuis is a question mark. If he can even play at the level he was at before is a question mark.

Probably because none of them are as good as a healthy Dupuis.

If he's good to go, I don't have any qualms about his ability to bring what he always has - speed, work ethic, high-end defensive play, and a slapshot goal on a rush down the wing every few games. :laugh:

I'm just really not sure why some are bothered that Dupuis is playing when he's been cleared to play rather than curling up in some bubble wrap. He's signed and he's been okayed by doctors - there's really nothing else required.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Are you fine using more high picks to acquire a mediocre player to replace him when the very real possibility (Id argue its very likely) that he goes down for the season comes to pass?

It's not as simple as you're making it out to be. There's legit concerns on both sides of this.

I'm not saying there's an alternative for the team at this point. But it's not a great situation regardless.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Are you fine using more high picks to acquire a mediocre player to replace him when the very real possibility (Id argue its very likely) that he goes down for the season comes to pass?

It's not as simple as you're making it out to be. There's legit concerns on both sides of this.

I'm not saying there's an alternative for the team at this point. But it's not a great situation regardless.

Meh they already have replacements now. I mean, their 4th line currently has Kunitz and Bennett on it, with Sundqvist in the AHL. That doesn't even include guys like Wilson and Rust who most of assumed would be on the 4th line earlier in the summer. They have enough guys to plug in this season without having to go external.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Meh they already have replacements now. I mean, their 4th line currently has Kunitz and Bennett on it, with Sundqvist in the AHL. That doesn't even include guys like Wilson and Rust who most of assumed would be on the 4th line earlier in the summer. They have enough guys to plug in this season without having to go external.

Eh. Our depth is great at the NHL level. But take out a top 9 guy and we only have Sunqvist to fill that hole.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I've been waiting years for you to acknowledge that :laugh:

I've always liked Dupuis in his proper role. ;)

I'm fine using Dupuis where he is and promoting from within if we lose him. We have options now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Eh. Our depth is great at the NHL level. But take out a top 9 guy and we only have Sunqvist to fill that hole.

No we have Kunitz, Cullen (in a pinch), Bennett, and Sundqvist. You slide those guys up and fill in the 4th line with Wilson or Rust. The forward depth is very good.

Obviously if Duper is injured again the Pens will get hurt, but I think JR has hedged his bet about as well as he can with Duper, Kunitz, Plots, etc.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
He was playing very, very well right before he went out. Assuming he has been able to retain his conditioning level I think he at least solidifies our solid top 9 depth.

His days on Sid's wing are likely over if only because of our acquisitions over the last couple of years, but he could be a hell of a 3rd liner / PKer if he still has footspeed.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Fair enough. I'm not nearly as content with the situation as most it seems. But I've said my piece.

Hopefully he comes back and turns back the clock for another season or two. In theory, his speed and defense is what we need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad