CFHF Fantasy League Part XXIV - Flaming Wings are your champions of 2015-16! Keeper deadline Apr. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Slight rule change due to InfinityIggy pointing out a loophole in our "prospect wood-chipper" rule.

In order to cut prospects loose, they cannot be on your roster at the time. In addition, they may not be added to that team's roster for a period of 24 hours following the announcement.

This is designed to prevent a GM from gaining an extra fourth-round pick for "cutting loose" two full-time NHLers on his roster.

EDIT: :laugh: I went to put this rule change into the official rules and realized it was already there (except the rule is one week, not 24 hours). So clearly I saw II and his conniving, devious schemes coming a mile away.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Slight rule change due to InfinityIggy pointing out a loophole in our "prospect wood-chipper" rule.

In order to cut prospects loose, they cannot be on your roster at the time. In addition, they may not be added to that team's roster for a period of 24 hours following the announcement.

This is designed to prevent a GM from gaining an extra fourth-round pick for "cutting loose" two full-time NHLers on his roster.

EDIT: :laugh: I went to put this rule change into the official rules and realized it was already there (except the rule is one week, not 24 hours). So clearly I saw II and his conniving, devious schemes coming a mile away.

richard_nixon2.jpg

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

I don't think I've really looked at that wood chipper method but could you explain to me the effects? Like why would someone want to cut loose an NHLer that had prospect rights rather than just keep them?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think I've really looked at that wood chipper method but could you explain to me the effects? Like why would someone want to cut loose an NHLer that had prospect rights rather than just keep them?
if you cut loose 2 prospects you get a 4th round pick

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
No I get that part.

But the loophole was based on having the prospect on your roster and then cutting them. But why would you end the rights on your prospect early just to gain a 4th round pick?

If the prospect was at 99 games in the nhl right now then you know you won't be able to keep as a prospect at the end of the year, so you could "cut" him as a prospect but keep him on your roster to get that extra pick.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No I get that part.

But the loophole was based on having the prospect on your roster and then cutting them. But why would you end the rights on your prospect early just to gain a 4th round pick?
in the case where their prospect eligibility is about to end is my guess

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

The whole idea is to give incentive to getting rid of prospects who bust. Realistically, in this league the prospects we pick represents roughly the first two rounds of the NHL Draft. At most, a third of those guys will ever play 100 NHL games. If we didn't have a mechanism to eliminate prospects over time, the other two thirds would just accumulate on the prospect list, eventually making it ridiculously and needlessly long. I didn't want to set an age limit because of prospects who take a long time to develop (like Mark Jankowski, for example). Also, I didn't want to have to always go through the list to check each player's age. So I decided to give the incentive to the GMs themselves. If you get rid of two prospects, you can recoup a fourth-round pick. Pretty simple. Instead of our list growing infinitely long, it should stay around the same size as the dead weight is constantly trimmed.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No I get that part.

II was thinking there was a way to do it without losing the prospect. So he thought there was a way to essentially gain a free 4th round pick without giving anything up.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
II was thinking there was a way to do it without losing the prospect. So he thought there was a way to essentially gain a free 4th round pick without giving anything up.

Oh nvm you didn't alter anything recently, the rule itself was in place earlier.

I mean the only scenario I saw was that you cut a prospect right, wait a week and hope nobody notices. Then pick him up again to get the 4th round pick, assuming your keepers suck and use a keeper pick on him and gain a 4th round PP.

On that note, wouldn't this woodchipping business make more sense if you could only do it prior to the draft? Kind of like players re-entering the draft but in our case the team gets compensated for it?

Anyways jsut a thought.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Oh nvm you didn't alter anything recently, the rule itself was in place earlier.

I mean the only scenario I saw was that you cut a prospect right, wait a week and hope nobody notices. Then pick him up again to get the 4th round pick, assuming your keepers suck and use a keeper pick on him and gain a 4th round PP.

On that note, wouldn't this woodchipping business make more sense if you could only do it prior to the draft? Kind of like players re-entering the draft but in our case the team gets compensated for it?

Anyways jsut a thought.

It would if I was looking to restrict people to only cutting busts, but I'm okay with it being used to cut guys who just aren't good enough. It's not as though the fourth round picks have much of a shot at turning out, so I don't think this has much of an effect at all. This way, people can cut one bust and one bubble player at the same time as the bubble player approaches game 100.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
It would if I was looking to restrict people to only cutting busts, but I'm okay with it being used to cut guys who just aren't good enough. It's not as though the fourth round picks have much of a shot at turning out, so I don't think this has much of an effect at all. This way, people can cut one bust and one bubble player at the same time as the bubble player approaches game 100.

Though that might've been true when our league size was smaller but the waiver wire is pretty bare these days, 100 day bubble players usually make it onto rosters anyways.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Drew, this is a pretty good matchup so far. If I can keep you from winning by more than 2, though, the division will be mine officially with two weeks left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino