Part XVII: Phoenix -- This Thread Title Available For Lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

WpgJets

Dec 19, 2010
This is probably in the wrong thread.

Basically Shannon says that the "big rumour" is that now that the ownership situation is clearing up with the Coyotes, and the ownership has consolidated in Atlanta, the NHL will buy the Thrashers and "flip" the franchise to the TNSE who will then relocate the team to Winnipeg for the 2011-12 season. Shannon notes that Bill Daly denies this rumor but that this has been a source of continued rumors and discussions since the BOG in December.

It kind of fits with my theory about "the Coyotes if necessary, but not necessarily the Coyotes" if the TNSE is ever to get an NHL franchise.

Why not the NHL buys the Thrashers, relocates the coyotes to Winnipeg and send the thrashers to Glendale ?

crazycanuck900

Dec 11, 2010
Gods country

Basically Shannon says that the "big rumour" is that now that the ownership situation is clearing up with the Coyotes, and the ownership has consolidated in Atlanta, the NHL will buy the Thrashers and "flip" the franchise to the TNSE who will then relocate the team to Winnipeg for the 2011-12 season. Shannon notes that Bill Daly denies this rumor but that this has been a source of continued rumors and discussions since the BOG in December.

It kind of fits with my theory about "the Coyotes if necessary, but not necessarily the Coyotes" if the TNSE is ever to get an NHL franchise.

I know it was the wrong thread but as a Hockey fan in Winnipeg...(im excited) it could be that we have more than one option for a NHL team, personally i hope we get the Coyote's back, Time for them to come home!

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont

He says it's a big rumour, but have we ever heard of this franchise flip before in news reports? Unless maybe it's simply an insider rumour that no one has reported of before.

Hmm...

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I know it was the wrong thread but as a Hockey fan in Winnipeg...(im excited) it could be that we have more than one option for a NHL team, personally i hope we get the Coyote's back, Time for them to come home!

What is Winnipeg going to do with 2 hockey teams (just kidding).

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That seems overly complicated...

It sure does. And your assessment, coming from a Minnesotan is really saying something seeing as how you've lived through the twists & turns of the Gunds, Baldwin, Leipold et al.... :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why not the NHL buys the Thrashers, relocates the coyotes to Winnipeg and send the thrashers to Glendale ?

Because the NHL and its new ownership hopeful (Hulsizer) have Glendale just where they want them. No way that they will give up the opportunity to squeeze $197 million from a municipality, in addition to getting to use the new arena that was built by Glendale a few years ago. Glendale is like raw meat for a pack of wolves right now, and they aren't going to walk away and risk losing this deal unless they have to.

I think that if the NHL is truly considering purchasing the Thrashers and then flipping them to TNSE, it is because the Thrashers' owners want to sell now and it is in everyone's interests to salvage the rest of this season and minimize losses, etc. The NHL would purchase the team, talk about finding new owners in Atlanta to keep some semblance of fan interest, then sell to TNSE at the end of the year. Selling directly to the TNSE would create all sorts of headaches. See Hornets-NBA for details...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Tell ya what?. If I could, Id send you a team tomorrow. The Leafs. :naughty:

Not a bad idea for Winnipeg, actually. Then the Winnipeg team could trade Kessel back to Burke and the "New Leafs" for a couple or three first-round lottery picks and get the building process off on the right foot. ;)

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
How ? all they are doing is doing a flip-flop and allowing winnipeg to get the original team back.

yeah, that's logical....

i think only the kids at that jetsowner site care about getting the original team back....not a whole lot of critical debate happens over there.

anyways....wrong thread.

Mike in MN

Mr Bandgeek
Nov 25, 2008
Gunflint Trail
It sure does. And your assessment, coming from a Minnesotan is really saying something seeing as how you've lived through the twists & turns of the Gunds, Baldwin, Leipold et al.... :laugh:

Yep. Nothing like having your team bought by the owners of another team, who then merge them together, only to un-merge them 13 years later and move their half team back to where it started and leave your (half) team in the hands of idiots who let themselves get bought out by a carpet bagging @$%@$%^%^$@%^$ piece of $#%^...... Norm Green still sucks. :rant::rant::rant:

Ironic twist: Of the four teams that relocated in the 90's, only ONE kept it's old identity instead of starting fresh. Of course, that's the one market that was most likely to get a team back (and-obviously, did).

Let Arizona keep it's team. Give Winnipeg and Quebec expansion teams, but let them claim their city's history, retired numbers, etc. It's the least painful option all around. No one else needs to lose their team /sermon

crazycanuck900

Dec 11, 2010
Gods country
yeah, that's logical....

i think only the kids at that jetsowner site care about getting the original team back....not a whole lot of critical debate happens over there.

anyways....wrong thread.

I think its more for Gary Bettman's greediness to make up the difference by flipping the Thrashers for more than the teams worth! ie $25 million to cover what Glendale cant afford for this years losses!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Glendale is like raw meat for a pack of wolves right now, and they aren't going to walk away and risk losing this deal unless they have to.

Whoa Whileee, your talking like a friend of mine, a Mink Rancher from way up north of North Kildonan. His Grampa used to bring the pelts into town on a sled down Portage drawn by Huskys' & Timberwolves. Played left wing for the Latelier Maple Leafs in the old Manitoba Senior League. circa 1932.... True story!. :nod:

Not a bad idea for Winnipeg, actually. Then the Winnipeg team could trade Kessel back to Burke and the "New Leafs" for a couple or three first-round lottery picks and get the building process off on the right foot. ;)

Burke & Wilson come with. Itchy&Scratchy. Already rented the old Hudson Bay House (or Gibraltar House as you young un's now call er') down on the lower end of Main Street for next season. :naughty:

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
who let themselves get bought out by a carpet bagging @$%@$%^%^$@%^$ piece of $#%^...... Norm Green still sucks. :rant::rant::rant: Let Arizona keep it's team. Give Winnipeg and Quebec expansion teams, but let them claim their city's history, retired numbers, etc. It's the least painful option all around. No one else needs to lose their team /sermon

Bolded (too funny!); At least when Winnipeg does get a team, maybe Hulsizer'll be nice about it & only charge TNSE $50M to acquire the Jets' name, logo, registrations, banners & doo-dads hangin around the job, along with 17.5% on all merchandising & souvenir sales, Arena Management & Concessions Contracts, Cleaning & Parking at the MTS in exchange for?. Pretty sure the registrations rest with the NHL, however, I worry that Jerry Moyes, who apparently left in a huff and a hurry, may've left them in the chief executives desk, which no one from the NHL nor the team has opened since for fear of finding skeletons. Mathew doesnt strike me as the type to let a perfectly good $265,000 African Mahogany desk with 18kt gold inlay & Cartier Hardware go to waste. He may find the papers. Maybe. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Well, when Winnipeg does get a team, maybe Hulsizer'll be nice about it & only charge TNSE $50M to acquire the Jets' name, logo, registrations, banners & doo-dads hangin around the job, along with 17.5% on all merchandising & souvenir sales, Arena Management & Concessions Contracts, Cleaning & Parking at the MTS in exchange for?. Pretty sure the registrations rest with the NHL, however, I worry that Jerry Moyes, who apparently left in a huff and a hurry, may've left them in the chief executives desk, which no one from the NHL nor the team has opened since for fear of finding skeletons. Mathew doesnt strike me as the type to let a perfectly good $265,000 African Mahogany desk with 18kt gold inlay & Cartier Hardware go to waste. He may find the papers. Maybe. :sarcasm:

sorry the NHL owns the jets logo and i assume are still making money off of merchandizing which makes me so bleepin mad I don't even want to talk about it

as for the banners ill assume they'll stay there

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Well if the Atlanta rumour is true and happens then in a way....

Glendale sells bonds to raise $100M to give to Hulsizer as well as the $75M for Arena Management...so Hulsizer can give the $175M to the NHL...so the NHL can buy the Atlanta Thrashers...so the NHL can sell the Thrashers to TNSE and move them to Winnipeg...

So basically Glendale is selling bonds to get a team for Winnipeg. :biglaugh:

crazycanuck900

Dec 11, 2010
Gods country
Well if the Atlanta rumour is true and happens then in a way....

Glendale sells bonds to raise $100M to give to Hulsizer as well as the $75M for Arena Management...so Hulsizer can give the $175M to the NHL...so the NHL can buy the Atlanta Thrashers...so the NHL can sell the Thrashers to TNSE and move them to Winnipeg...

So basically Glendale is selling bonds to get a team for Winnipeg. :biglaugh:

or are they going to rip off Winnipeg(Thrasher sale) to help out Glendale's losses for the year?

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
or are they going to rip off Winnipeg(Thrasher sale) to help out Glendale's losses for the year?

I wonder if Thompson can't afford the possible extra asking price if the City of Winnipeg will chip in an extra 197 million for the team. Who own's the teams parking anyways.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Basically Shannon says that the "big rumour" is that now that the ownership situation is clearing up with the Coyotes, and the ownership has consolidated in Atlanta, the NHL will buy the Thrashers and "flip" the franchise to the TNSE who will then relocate the team to Winnipeg for the 2011-12 season. Shannon notes that Bill Daly denies this rumour but that this has been a source of continued rumours and discussions since the BOG in December.

Actually Whileee i think this thread has a stake in this rumour de jour so discussing it is not entirly out of place

If it is accurate then the news is very good for Glendale and means that they are probably closer to the finish line than we know.

Also i am not saying the rumour is accurate but the pieces of the puzzle would fall together much cleaner if we back it up for a quick review keeping the rumoured end in mind

last spring rumours of Atlanta moving to Winnipeg surface but are trumped by new rumours of Phoenix as things heat up in Glendale........TNSE are brought in as leverage on the Yotes play and used in an emergency pinch if Glendale didn't underwrite the losses of the 2010-11 season and buy some time....at that point TNSE were kept in the loop and told we are working on a deal with Matt and it looks solid but stay tuned.....then December hits the CoG and Matt get a deal that works in principle and TNSE are back to the original play which is the Thrashers

If in fact the deal was struck in principle between Atlanta TNSE and the NHL in 2010 for the beginning of the 2011-12 season then all the moves by TNSE like acquiring a city block across the street from the MTS centre.....putting $2 million into a press box upgrade to meet the needs of the NHL that could have been done at a future date if necessary...etc...etc would all make allot more sense

i know it seems complex but really its not.......i think it is also why both Bettman and Daly brought up Quebec as well....if TNSE were needed for Phoenix then i assume Quebec might have been the play for Atlanta

Its a game of musical chairs and possibly....unfortunately...when the music stops everyone except Atlanta would have a chair.....which would be sad for some of the classy posters on this site that have supported the Thrashers through mostly lean years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad