Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore (UPD #443ff 14-Dec agenda/lease links)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Of course they did. The fight in court was over the preservation of the right of the league to put a team where they wanted and not have a location foisted upon them. They made no concession as to the right of Glendale to block a move out of bankruptcy, nor did they concede anything to Glendale regarding the amount of compensation due under bankruptcy law should the team be relocated.

The NHL could have given the team to Thomson for the '09 - '10 season. They could have also announced, as they did a generation ago in Winnipeg, that the season was a lame duck and that the team would go to Thomson for the '10 - '11 season.

Regardless of when the team would have been moved, before last season, before this season or before the next, the league would have been faced with (or will face) the same legal action from the COG. The failure to find an owner after 2 years would not be a consideration in judging whether damage mitigation per BK statutes applied to Glendale's claim.

I thought part of the ruling Baum handed down was that the NHL make a reasonable effort to find a local buyer.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Any insights into upcoming city council meetings in Glendale? I note that the agenda for tomorrow's Workshop includes the usual update on the Coyotes negotiations. I also see that they have an agenda item on negotiations regarding Westgate parking. Could that be related to the CFD that has been proposed to support the Coyotes, or is that a different issue? Also, I assume that until there is a public release of documents related to the lease (either an MOU or a full lease) for review by the public, the Glendale City Council will not be in the position to review, discuss and vote on any lease agreement.

They can review and discuss in their executive sessions, but they cannot vote.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
John Shannon on Hockeycentral at Noon (Fan 590), calling in from the BOG meetings, confirmed that amongst the group of 8-10 investors in the "Hulsizer Group" is...... the Ice Edge Guys! They're back! Awesome! Instant un-credibility has been added to Hulsy's bid to purchase the team.

If this is true, the gong has been gonged, the Coyotes are over.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
John Shannon on Hockeycentral at Noon (Fan 590), calling in from the BOG meetings, confirmed that amongst the group of 8-10 investors in the "Hulsizer Group" is...... the Ice Edge Guys! They're back! Awesome! Instant un-credibility has been added to Hulsy's bid to purchase the team.

Hmm. Wonder if it's then safe to assume that Hulsizer is working off of the Ice Edge MOU

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
I don't even know how to react if this is all confirmed...it seems so beyond the realm of comprehension, especially when most of the Phoenix supporters made sure to loudly shout down any suggestions that Hulsizer was in any way comparable to IEH. Turns out that he's not comparable because he's just the latest member of the gaggle....

gollybass

May 28, 2010
I don't even know how to react if this is all confirmed...it seems so beyond the realm of comprehension, especially when most of the Phoenix supporters made sure to loudly shout down any suggestions that Hulsizer was in any way comparable to IEH. Turns out that he's not comparable because he's just the latest member of the gaggle....

I thought it was given they were in on the bid.. I think they said a few months back they would be involved in the hockey operations and involved as minority owners.

Still interesting developments today, sounds like the lease will be voted on Dec 14th

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
I thought it was given they were in on the bid.. I think they said a few months back they would be involved in the hockey operations and involved as minority owners.

Still interesting developments today, sounds like the lease will be voted on Dec 14th

You're right. That they're involved isn't news, it was reported months ago.

Also, John Shannon quoting MH as telling the BOG he's prepared to lose money "for a long time". And Hulsizer says December 14th Council meeting in Glendale is last hurdle.

Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press reports that Matt Hulsizer says GM Don Maloney will keep his job when he buys the Coyotes. He'll bring in a new president. Also,
Matthew Hulsizer says he reads David Shoalts and likes his work.

DarrenDreger reports Hulsizer spoke to media after mtng with NHL exec board. Says he knows he is going to lose $ on Coyotes. Says deal will close before Jan 1.

David Shoalts http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/hulsizer-admits-coyotes-arent-a-smart-investment/article1826858/

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

It wasn't that long ago that Jones was interviewed on a Winnipeg radio station and said that they weren't directly involved in the purchase but were there for advice if needed. Them becoming an investor is a recent development

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
It wasn't that long ago that Jones was interviewed on a Winnipeg radio station and said that they weren't directly involved in the purchase but were there for advice if needed. Them becoming an investor is a recent development

Read the Shoalts article. Not confirmed IEH part of the group. "May" be, according to MH and reported by DS.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Several weeks ago two IEH principals were interviewed (I think at a game in Ottawa) and they said plainly that they were not involved as investors, or even in any direct way with the negotiations related to Hulsizer's bid. I gather that things have changed since then.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Several weeks ago two IEH principals were interviewed (I think at a game in Ottawa) and they said plainly that they were not involved as investors, or even in any direct way with the negotiations related to Hulsizer's bid. I gather that things have changed since then.
I missed that, any link?

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Yes it is, didn't you read the post 6 above yours that clearly states "the Coyotes are over."?

Just ignore the things said below that. You know, the quotes from Hulsizer and things like that.

You know anything MH says is irrelevant. He's a pawn with no intention of buying the team, remember? A placeholder for this charade that ends in an already done deal for the move to Winnipeg. :sarcasm:

More Tweets:

Chris Johnston Potential #coyotes owner Matthew Hulsizer: "It's been my experience that if you make a great product, hockey teams have a lot of value."

Daryl Jones Only buy something that you'd be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for 10 years. - Warren Buffett

Last edited:

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Sounds to me like this is Matty once again throwing the ball into glendale's court. Nothing new. They have had this agreement for a couple of months and are clearly having difficulty choking it down. This is yet another tall cool glass of public pressure to help them swallow.

By 'the december 14th cog meeting is the final hurdle' he means, Glendale accepting my terms is the final hurdle.

How is it possible that 3 weeks before it is supposedly all completed they are still unsure who is part of the ownership group?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Another twist in this epic novel:punk:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Another twist in this epic novel:punk:

Intriguing...

I still have that page bookmarked ;) (and less than 2 into the 6 month window:naughty:)

Of course some would say there's a difference between an "Investor" and "being majority holder"-I will grant that, but I'm not budging from my original belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad