Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore (UPD #443ff 14-Dec agenda/lease links)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Previous thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=834678

And WRT Brooks assertion that the NHL has put $200M into the team, I'm assuming that's not only the out-of-bankruptcy purchase price, but probably about a decade of revenue sharing/loans, as well as the losses they've experienced in running the team.

Insofaras why the league has not submitted paperwork to draw on the $25m, they probably are still living off funds from STH (full season) and ticket presales, somewhat. Now, perhaps they'll have run through those funds before closing calendar year :dunno:

dandeneau44

Nov 22, 2010
Manitoba
Part XV....wow, been following this since the beginning and I never would have predicted it getting to this. Don't worry though the deadline's soon...oh wait deadlines don't seem to mean much now do they. Oh well I suppose maybe once we hit part 30 this might be resolved....maybe

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Ownership issues in the spotlight as NHL governors meet in Florida

To this day, the league continues to struggle with teams in warm climates. It marks the second straight year NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly will attend these meetings as the men in control of the Coyotes.

However, there is hope that will soon change. Chicago-based businessman Matthew Hulsizer is scheduled to meet the NHL board's executive committee in Florida this week.

While there will be no formal vote on his proposed purchase of the team, the league still expects that transaction to be finalized ahead of the Dec. 31 deadline.

After that date, Bettman is allowed to look for another owner to relocate the Coyotes. If that were to happen, it would open the door for David Thomson and Mark Chipman to bring the franchise back to Winnipeg.

dandeneau44

Nov 22, 2010
Manitoba
I believe the word you are searching for is "imminent" :nod:

:D

:laugh: yes imminent is the word I was looking for as in "the deal was imminent since September and will continue to be imminent for God only knows how long" Hopefully a deal to head to Winnipeg is imminent as well...

Niagara67

Jun 4, 2010
The Star's story http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...rs-meet-while-rich-and-poor-look-to-sell?bn=1 has a factual error about NHL not being able to negotiate with non-Phx groups til Dec 31. I sent them a "factual error" correction and copy of the agreement.

Actually the Winnipeg story also has an error "After that date, Bettman is allowed to look for another owner to relocate the Coyotes." Again..NHL is allowed to look now, just not "consummate" a deal til after Dec 31.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
The Thread goes ever on and on ..

The Thread goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Thread has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

05-05-2009 Balsillie puts in $212.5 mil offer for the Coyotes
05-07-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part II
05-18-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part III
05-22-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part IV
06-03-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part V
06-09-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VI
06-12-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VII: I'm just waitin' on a judge
06-16-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VIII: It's dead, Jim
06-24-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part IX: 'Dorf on Hockey
07-25-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part X: The Truth? You Can't Handle The Truth!
08-03-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XI: A Fistful of Dollars?
08-07-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XII: For a Few Dollars More
08-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIII: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
08-21-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIV: The Wrath of Baum
08-27-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XV - SITREP: SNAFU
09-02-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVI: Barbarian at the Gate
09-08-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVII: Wake Me Up When September Ends
09-10-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVIII: Is that a pale horse in the distance?
09-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy Part XIX: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Baum
09-21-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XX: There Will Be Baum
09-28-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXI: 2009 -- A Sports Odyssey
10-26-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXII: Long and winding road

11-24-2009 Keeping up with potential owners for NHL Phoenix Coyotes (UPD: Ice Edge signs LOI)
03-14-2010 Part II. Potential owners of NHL's Phoenix Coyotes
03-26-2010 Part III. Prospective Owners - Phoenix Coyotes (UPD Lease vote 4/13; IEH signs MOU)
04-10-2010 Part IV Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy; UPD COG approves Reinsdorf MOU, not IEH MOU
05-02-2010 Part V Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy UPD Reinsdorf out? IEH back in? else Winnipeg?
05-11-2010 Part VI Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy
05-23-2010 Part VII Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy
06-07-2010 Part VIII: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankrtuptcy
06-22-2010 Part IX: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankruptcy UPD: Pres Moss fired 6/30 with IEH input
07-26-2010 Part X: Phoenix Coyotes - Between Scylla and Charybdis
08-27-2010 Part XI: Phoenix Coyotes -- Greetings, Starfighter, You have been selected ...
09-16-2010 Part XII: Phx Coyotes - Still haven't found what I'm looking for
10-12-2010 Part XIII: Phoenix Coyotes - The Final Cut?
10-27-2010 Part XIV: Phoenix Coyotes - To Infinity And Beyond....
12-05-2010 Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
kdb209: MAD props for the LOTR nod. You rock. I suppose this too shall have an end, but for the hockey faithful in both Arizona and Manitoba, this is really the equivalent to Sam and Frodo wandering slowly toward Mount Doom, isn't it? Yet Gollum lurks in the background, and will appear at just the right time to bring this thing to a proper and fitting conclusion.

Oh, and can we call part XVI "The Neverending Story"?

Last edited:

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
The Star's story http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...rs-meet-while-rich-and-poor-look-to-sell?bn=1 has a factual error about NHL not being able to negotiate with non-Phx groups til Dec 31. I sent them a "factual error" correction and copy of the agreement.

Actually the Winnipeg story also has an error "After that date, Bettman is allowed to look for another owner to relocate the Coyotes." Again..NHL is allowed to look now, just not "consummate" a deal til after Dec 31.

While you're at it include the other glaring error: "Glendale city council meets Dec. 14 to finalize any deal it may have with Hulsizer..." That's speculation. There is no agenda for that meeting.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ

Latest from Shoalts:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/david-shoalts/nhl-salary-cap-expected-to-increase/article1825832/

Some of that chatter will concern the Phoenix Coyotes. Prospective owner Matthew Hulsizer is expected to show up and explain his plans to the governors’ executive committee, although an official sale is still not in sight.

Last edited:

dandeneau44

Nov 22, 2010
Manitoba

"an official sale is still not in sight" I understand that there's lots of moving pieces as people say but Hulsizer has had ample time to get something put together. Perhaps if he actually believed in this market as he claimed then he wouldn't be worrying about purchasing this franchise with anything other than his own money. It kind of sickens me that what seems like forever ago he came out and said that he cares more about winning then money. Well if he was telling the truth at that point in time he would already be operating the team because they are winning. He's definatly not the savior that everyone was praising him as when he showed up. He's just like the others (IEH, Reinsdorf) looking to spend the least amount of money and have no risk involved. Obviously he's not as bad as Ice Edge but I don't honestly see him as being any better for the Coyotes in Glendale then what Reinsdorf was....and we all saw how that ended. He doesn't sound like a very confident investor as of this point. mod:delete

Last edited by a moderator:

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
I dunno but, it sure seems like things are coming to a head; it's about time they all stop playing these silly little reindeer games.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
It sounds like the upcoming BOG meetings are going to be huge for deciding the future of the NHL.

After hearing from Hulsizer and the ASG, the owners may decide once and for all whether to stick it out cities like Phoenix and Atlanta or to cut their losses and move teams to Winnipeg and Quebec City - cities that will definitely make a profit in the short term, but where some BOG members might question their long term viability.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
While you're at it include the other glaring error: "Glendale city council meets Dec. 14 to finalize any deal it may have with Hulsizer..." That's speculation. There is no agenda for that meeting.

Actually, does it really matter what happens at the BOG if there is no lease agreement between Hulsizer and the City of Glendale? It seems that the ball is now in Glendale's court and they have to decide whether they can agree on a lease with Hulsizer. We will soon be 8 weeks past the time when Hulsizer said that he had a verbal agreement with the City of Glendale and that "most of the heavy lifting" had been completed. Maybe they are still working out details, but until there is either an MOU or lease agreement approved by the City of Glendale, any discussions with the BOG are rather inconsequential. And if the City of Glendale does approve a lease agreement, presumably they will need to assure that the CFD can be set up and that the lease can withstand legal challenges.

It will be interesting to see what the City of Glendale does in its next couple of meetings, if anything, with respect to the lease.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
The Thread goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Thread has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

05-05-2009 Balsillie puts in $212.5 mil offer for the Coyotes
05-07-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part II
05-18-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part III
05-22-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part IV
06-03-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part V
06-09-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VI
06-12-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VII: I'm just waitin' on a judge
06-16-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VIII: It's dead, Jim
06-24-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part IX: 'Dorf on Hockey
07-25-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part X: The Truth? You Can't Handle The Truth!
08-03-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XI: A Fistful of Dollars?
08-07-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XII: For a Few Dollars More
08-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIII: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
08-21-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIV: The Wrath of Baum
08-27-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XV - SITREP: SNAFU
09-02-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVI: Barbarian at the Gate
09-08-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVII: Wake Me Up When September Ends
09-10-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVIII: Is that a pale horse in the distance?
09-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy Part XIX: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Baum
09-21-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XX: There Will Be Baum
09-28-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXI: 2009 -- A Sports Odyssey
10-26-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXII: Long and winding road

11-24-2009 Keeping up with potential owners for NHL Phoenix Coyotes (UPD: Ice Edge signs LOI)
03-14-2010 Part II. Potential owners of NHL's Phoenix Coyotes
03-26-2010 Part III. Prospective Owners - Phoenix Coyotes (UPD Lease vote 4/13; IEH signs MOU)
04-10-2010 Part IV Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy; UPD COG approves Reinsdorf MOU, not IEH MOU
05-02-2010 Part V Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy UPD Reinsdorf out? IEH back in? else Winnipeg?
05-11-2010 Part VI Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy
05-23-2010 Part VII Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy
06-07-2010 Part VIII: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankrtuptcy
06-22-2010 Part IX: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankruptcy UPD: Pres Moss fired 6/30 with IEH input
07-26-2010 Part X: Phoenix Coyotes - Between Scylla and Charybdis
08-27-2010 Part XI: Phoenix Coyotes -- Greetings, Starfighter, You have been selected ...
09-16-2010 Part XII: Phx Coyotes - Still haven't found what I'm looking for
10-12-2010 Part XIII: Phoenix Coyotes - The Final Cut?
10-27-2010 Part XIV: Phoenix Coyotes - To Infinity And Beyond....
12-05-2010 Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore

So, including the bankruptcy threads, this is 38??

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
something I wonder....will the BOG want to see all the inner workings of the lease agreement before approving the sale?....do they only approve the group itself and the arrangement he has is between him and glendale?...if so, why not approve him now like they did with reinsdorf well before he had worked things out....they even gave the twitter boys conditional approval.

why are they waiting this time?

it would seem logical that they would want to see the agrement first...but that hasnt been their policy before....why is it now.

could it really be possible to have it all done in 3 weeks?.....why do they keep sticking to that line?......that is like a millisecond in this saga.....they announce things will happen 'immediately' that take 6 months to actually do.

again, i will ask...where is the CFD?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
something I wonder....will the BOG want to see all the inner workings of the lease agreement before approving the sale?....do they only approve the group itself and the arrangement he has is between him and glendale?...if so, why not approve him now like they did with reinsdorf well before he had worked things out....they even gave the twitter boys conditional approval.

why are they waiting this time?

it would seem logical that they would want to see the agrement first...but that hasnt been their policy before....why is it now.

could it really be possible to have it all done in 3 weeks?.....why do they keep sticking to that line?......that is like a millisecond in this saga.....they announce things will happen 'immediately' that take 6 months to actually do.

again, i will ask...where is the CFD?

BOG really only needs to "certify" the owner, not any lease agreement. (That's up the Hulzer to review/approve -- and the COG.)

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
BOG really only needs to "certify" the owner, not any lease agreement. (That's up the Hulzer to review/approve -- and the COG.)

Yeah that seems to be the case. So why not approve him at these meeting? They approved reinsdorf before he even had an mou. Why are they waiting for the lease agreement to approve the owner this time? If bog approval really only means approval of his bank account and has nothing to do with how he will finance the operations of the team, then why would he not get that formality out of the way as soon as possible?

You would think they would like to know if he has a relocation clause or not....or that his plan will be sustainable and they can put the issue to bed once and for all.

Last edited:

Scottrocks58*

Can I offer for the next thread "Into the breach once again, my friends"

After all this time it is hard to believe that anyone thinks that the NHL will relocate this team. The only certainty is that the NHL has not relocated this team when it has had the opportunities. Speculation that the NHL is going to relocate the team goes contrary to the past actions of the league in regards to the franchise.

Niagara67

Jun 4, 2010
Sounds to me like the BOG is finally starting to realize that the state of many franchises is a problem that won't go away anytime soon; and thus will be having some serious back & forth discussions on the whole southern experiment & future franchise placement. (At least that's what I hope). They are businessmen after all.

Hulzy's pitch looks like Phx's last hope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad