Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore (UPD #443ff 14-Dec agenda/lease links)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
It should be interesting to see if any citizen's will stand up to the council tomorrow night and say this deal is shaddy, this deal is corrupt... this is bad for our city, and so on.

Someone has to step up, no?

But you can bet on one thing, that there will be plenty of people outside of Glendale praising the COG, the NHL and Hulsizer for this amazing lease on life. You can bet on it.

this deal completly fails the sniff test....
but I dont see any way possible that this deal gets voted down...
i know I would be super pissed about it...
you govt whining they they have no money and debt pass their eyeballs.... and then they pull this stunt...

Fugu

I thought of a play on words, Imminence Front.

Although I do like "Money for Nothing" as we can sing, "I want my... I want my.... I want my... hockey team."

:laugh:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
On this whole parking thing, does any one feel that there is a risk that by charging $10 or $15 to park at a game or any event might just cause people to stay away? People get use to things being free and don't like to suddenly pay for them and if the price of parking is the same or close to the price of some of the tickets. Or will people just pay it? Concidering the general thought is that the Coyotes need to raise ticket prices a litlle as well, is adding parking to that a big risk?

Well there is one question only a local could answer and that is how much free parking space is near the arena that the COG won't be able to control?

I mean it's not like it's horrible weather to walk a short walk and save $20.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Glendale's theme-song...

or...

And Hulsizer's M.O. ...

Glendale's negotiating strategy...

If we want to distill this as simplistically and nationalistically as possible...

And the question all involved are asking themselves...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Not to give anyone any ideas... :naughty::D

But assuming that the CoG has an insurance policy on the arena, wouldn't it be better financially to get some disgruntled ex CoG employee to just burn the arena to the ground and have the CoG collect the insurance money.

I'm sure the CoG would be better off financially. JMO.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Suggestions

"You're Breaking My Heart, you're tearing it apart, so..." Harry Nilsson

"Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But..." Artic Monkeys

"Shut Up" Black Eyed Peas

"Shut Up And Let Me Go" The Ting Tings

"Blame Canada" South Park

"My Life Would Suck Without You" Kelly Clarkson

and in case the next might be the last:

"Take It To The Limit... 1 more time" Eagles

===============================
RE: Parking - I'd have tiered parking lot pricing - higher priced lots adjacent, lower priced lots farther out. There are enough inlets to steer traffic to whatever lots you want. Make the hefty walks $5 lots and when they fill up, the alternative will be higher priced lots, or Cabelas parking lots. People who don't mind a 3/4 mile walk to the game won't have to pay, but out here, that's a small number; we're not like those big strapping Canadians who will walk barefoot 3 miles in a blizzard to get to a game. Most guys paying $60 a seat for two tickets won't stay home because the parking fee is $10-$20; the guy who only goes to a couple games in the cheapest price level or 4 for $99 maybe he'll opt for the $10 lot or hike in but heck, a $10 parking spot is just one less beer inside the Arena, so that guy has 4 beers instead of 5 at the game.

Funny thing is some people mock attendance #s in the 8,000-10,000 range while others worry that parking fees will cause people to stay away. Clearly demonstrating everyone can't be right. The 8,000-10,000 aren't all going because it's free to park. It was never free to park when they played downtown - but down there, most of the parking fees went to privately owned lots offsite, not the city, not the team or Arena mgmt (aside from the attached garage)- and there were a handful of unsecured street parking spaces free after 5PM. Considering the # of snobs out here, it's quite likely that the # of people we'd lose due to no convenient free parking would be offset by the # that would come out for more exclusive parking that keeps the riff raff out of their lot. :)

Last edited:

MHX

Hockey Makes Us...
Nov 2, 2006
None of this makes sense. Look at the facts. First off, I am happy for the fans in Phoenix. I just think the circumstances surrounding this deal are insane.

If Hulsizer came in and bought the team with his own money, fine, but that’s not happening. Instead, the city is paying him to buy it. Sure, the city (the council to be exact) likes this deal but I don’t understand how the league can sit by and watch this pass, nor how they can endorse it. I don’t even see how the residents like this deal. What kind of message does it send?

This is the same league that, this summer, told the city the 25M in escrow was just an insurance policy. Yet, now it seems willing to take 100M of the city’s money so that the team can stay based on the numbers projected just so it doesn’t lose any money? I think Bettman and the owners need to suck it up and lose money on this transaction if they really want to keep the team there. This way, the burden will not solely be on Glendale. Maybe the league steps in and says “Glendale, you tried your best but we can’t support this deal. It goes beyond pro sports”. Who knows…

On top of that, the numbers or theory doesn’t add up. Increased ticket pricing, new parking fees, new “ownership” and an open letter to the Coyotes fans will turn things around? This is a huge speculative risk.

Based on what we’ve read here, the majority of the fanbase doesn’t live in Glendale so this has little to no impact on them. I’d be curious to know if any of the players even live in the city. I’ve read that Doan, Upshall and Bissonnette live outside the city.

Congratulations Glendale! You are propping up a pro sports team for the privilege of watching wealthy hockey players play a game they love in lieu of essential city services.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think Bettman and the owners need to suck it up and lose money on this transaction if they really want to keep the team there.

Why would they? Bettman told all the teams that the NHL willl NOT lose money on this deal, and at the end of the day they won't. All the NHL cares about is getting the Coyotes off thier books and making it someone elses problem. Bettman doesn't care if it is the CoG paying the bills or Hulsizer, as long as it not the NHL.

The team stays in Phoenix for at least the next 7 years ( according to the NHL all new owners have to make a commitment of at least 7 years ). And 7 years from now Bettman most likely will have moved on to something else and won't care what happens.

Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

MHX

Hockey Makes Us...
Nov 2, 2006
Why would they? Bettman told all the teams that the NHL willl NOT lose money on this deal, and at the end of the day they won't. All the NHL cares about is getting the Coyotes off thier books and making it someone elses problem. Bettman doesn't care if it is the CoG paying the bills or Hulsizer, as long as it not the NHL.

Mission accomplished.
Don't get me wrong, I see what they're doing. Promise or not, I just don't like the fact that they'll make all their money back at the expense of Glendale.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
RE: Parking - I'd have tiered parking lot pricing - higher priced lots adjacent, lower priced lots farther out. There are enough inlets to steer traffic to whatever lots you want. Make the hefty walks $5 lots and when they fill up, the alternative will be higher priced lots, or Cabelas parking lots. People who don't mind a 3/4 mile walk to the game won't have to pay, but out here, that's a small number; we're not like those big strapping Canadians who will walk barefoot 3 miles in a blizzard to get to a game. Most guys paying $60 a seat for two tickets won't stay home because the parking fee is $10-$20; the guy who only goes to a couple games in the cheapest price level or 4 for $99 maybe he'll opt for the $10 lot or hike in but heck, a $10 parking spot is just one less beer inside the Arena, so that guy has 4 beers instead of 5 at the game.

Sure, but I don't think there could be any $5 lots. The hefty walks would have to be $10 and the majority of the spots are going to have to be $20, and even then they'll have a difficult time covering their debt service.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
===============================

I am sorry, I do not buy your argument. If it only one less beer during the game why didn't the previous owners just raise the ticket price? The parking was free; therefore, they should have been able to get higher ticket pricing in the past. Other than the die hard fans (like your self) I suspect most hockey fans are fair weather fans and cost does matter.

I know, I know, the fans will come out now since there is an owner and the team is playing well. :shakehead I doubt it.

Maybe H will spend to the cap and the Yotes will be better team, I doubt that too.

The other argument is that it would cost them more money if the Yotes leave; however, everyone who makes that argument cannot back it up with any calculations.

The City of Glendale was out of their league in this deal :laugh:

I am actually happy the Yotes are staying in Gendale, I stopped watching hockey when the Jets left; therefore, in the long run, I do not really care if the Jets come back; however, watching the Yotes saga over the past couple of years and possibly into the future has been fun. Can't wait until H sells the city of Glendale the airspace rights above the parking lots for 100,000,000 so they can put up some advertising banners as well.:sarcasm:

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
It's interesting that most posters who like this deal live in the Phoenix area, and most posters who don't like it don't live in that area.

Why would anyone who isn't a Glendale taxpayer care? It's not their money and they aren't constituents of the City of Glendale.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I see what they're doing. Promise or not, I just don't like the fact that they'll make all their money back at the expense of Glendale.

Why, if the City of Glendale wants to give millions to a hockey team so be it. They only ones affected by this is the taxpayers of Glendale.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
It's interesting that most posters who like this deal live in the Phoenix area, and most posters who don't like it don't live in that area.

Why would anyone who isn't a Glendale taxpayer care? It's not their money and they aren't constituents of the City of Glendale.

I do not think that most of the people who like the deal live in Glendale. They like it because they get to keep the team and the cost to them will be minimal.

BTW, I do no like nor dislike the deal. I do think it is bad deal for Glendale, bit that is their problem not mine.

Fugu

Because it's just wrong?

Here's the new thread, so answer me there, but how does losing even more money benefit Glendale? The business/financial case has yet to be made as to why COG would do this. They really would be better off buying the team themselves.

Continue here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=853031

And it's a wrap on Part XV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad