Speculation: Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Bad-decent prospects are hard to come by nowadays.

Serious q though, if a guy is a bad prospect, is he still a prospect? Prospect hints that there is at least a fraction of a chance at becoming a decent player.

I would say most people would consider someone with a contract in the organization that is under 25 would probably be considered a prospect, even if the "prospect" of them amounting to something is slim to nil.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'm trying to figure out some of these signings this summer. Some of these contracts seem ridiculous. Pavelski and Clarkson at 6 million, Filpula at 5 million - these are all players that average at or under .5 points per game. I understand they bring more than just points, but it seems a lot for what they bring. Especially with the Cap decreasing, I expected smaller salaries.

Is this a surprise, or was this expected?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm trying to figure out some of these signings this summer. Some of these contracts seem ridiculous. Pavelski and Clarkson at 6 million, Filpula at 5 million - these are all players that average at or under .5 points per game. I understand they bring more than just points, but it seems a lot for what they bring. Especially with the Cap decreasing, I expected smaller salaries.

Is this a surprise, or was this expected?

I'm pretty surprised at a lot of them. The ramifications of the contract limits were clear, but a few of these contracts aren't too high because they couldn't circumvent with length.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'm pretty surprised at a lot of them. The ramifications of the contract limits were clear, but a few of these contracts aren't too high because they couldn't circumvent with length.

I was surprised at some of the deals, but the cap is going to shoot up a lot the next couple of years which will soften the blow.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Bouwmeester extended in St. Louis for like 5.4 a year for 5 years.

I'd have bet good money he was walking.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

I can see why he would take a little less money to stay in St. Louis. He made a ton of money on his last deal, and now he gets to play next to one of the best young defensemen in the game in Pietrangelo. He's always struck me as a guy who prefers to be a secondary player with less pressure to carry a unit.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Understood, but with this market? He might've gotten 7/yr. Still interesting to see him walk away from potentially like 20-30 additional mil

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Yeah that's pretty surprising. I figured he would was going to be a deadline deal kind of player if the Blues were out, or a guy they trade his rights for like a 3rd or something.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Understood, but with this market? He might've gotten 7/yr. Still interesting to see him walk away from potentially like 20-30 additional mil

If I recal correctly, Bouwmeester has never been a huge money guy. I think I saw an interview with him where he was still driving around a beater truck even after he signed his big deal. Maybe he's a guy who just wants some stability and he likes playing in St. Louis? If he walked, it would be his second move to a new city in less than one calender year. Some guys just aren't willing to do that to chase some extra money. Besides that, staying in St. Louis gives him one of the best chances in the NHL to win a cup. They're a fantastic team that might be just one more offensive threat away from being the most complete team in the NHL. I still think they should get rid of Hitchcock, but that's something on a whole different level.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
All valid points, but he's definitely the except and not the rule in sports.

BTW, did anybody see that Minnesota Wild supposedly lost 30M last year.

Maybe they shouldn't have signed two players to two of the biggest deals in NHL history.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
All valid points, but he's definitely the except and not the rule in sports.

BTW, did anybody see that Minnesota Wild supposedly lost 30M last year.

Maybe they shouldn't have signed two players to two of the biggest deals in NHL history.

Damn, I thought Minny was a great hockey market. Is $30M just because of high salaries or is the team just not drawing the fans?

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Linus Omark is apparently close to an NHL return. Doubt it's with the Flyers but it could be Homers "out there" signing.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Linus Omark is apparently close to an NHL return. Doubt it's with the Flyers but it could be Homers "out there" signing.

Meh, I don't see it. He was pretty underwhelming in EDM and I don't think he was ever expected to do much more than he did IIRC.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm trying to figure out some of these signings this summer. Some of these contracts seem ridiculous. Pavelski and Clarkson at 6 million, Filpula at 5 million - these are all players that average at or under .5 points per game.

Pavelski has 336 points in 479 NHL games for an average of 0.70 points a game, and he's produced at 0.77 PPG for the last three seasons.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470794

He's way above the 0.5 figure, even if you wanted to ignore his defense and penalty killing.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Reading the M. Richards to TOR thread on the trade board got me thinking about the original Toronto offer that Holmgren apparently turned down in favor of LA's offer. Had Holmgren taken the alleged Toronto deal (Kadri+Kulemin+2nd) , Richards would have likely flopped in Toronto, and Kadri would have likely broken out in Philly. The main boards would have loved the shrewdness of Holmgren and praised him for dealing Richards when his value was high.

But as it stands, Simmonds+Schenn+2nd has turned into a much better package than Kadri+Kulemin+2nd would have been, but he gets brutalized because LA happened to win the Cup with Richards on the team.

Just funny to think about how the perception of the trade would have been in Holmgren's favor had he accepted a lesser deal than the one he took. No logic on the main boards.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
has there been speculation of another signing? or are you saying this because he has yet to have an out there signing this offseason

There was a rumor that Omark was close to an NHL team but the Flyers weren't mentioned. That was simply my speculation.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Reading the M. Richards to TOR thread on the trade board got me thinking about the original Toronto offer that Holmgren apparently turned down in favor of LA's offer. Had Holmgren taken the alleged Toronto deal (Kadri+Kulemin+2nd) , Richards would have likely flopped in Toronto, and Kadri would have likely broken out in Philly. The main boards would have loved the shrewdness of Holmgren and praised him for dealing Richards when his value was high.

But as it stands, Simmonds+Schenn+2nd has turned into a much better package than Kadri+Kulemin+2nd would have been, but he gets brutalized because LA happened to win the Cup with Richards on the team.

Just funny to think about how the perception of the trade would have been in Holmgren's favor had he accepted a lesser deal than the one he took. No logic on the main boards.

Homer was praised as a genius for a short time during that season for those moves up until the Kings won.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

Don't forget how Homer is an idiot for trading Carter to LA as well. Boy, I'm sure LA misses Voracek on their wing right now.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Homer was praised as a genius for a short time during that season for those moves up until the Kings won.

Remember some calling for him to get GM of the Year. :laugh: He just happens to be one of the main board's current favourites to get the hate. This has basically spilled over from a lot of fanbases being butthurt about the Weber OS a long with a few other things. I'm not Homer's biggest fan, but he's done okay over the past year or so. All the things that they said he'd do (make a splash at the deadline, trade away Schenn or Couts, make a dumb move at the draft, sign Emery to a ridiculous) he hasn't done. As soon as the next GM makes a stupid move or does something they don't like, he'll get singled out. Just the way it goes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't see why Richards would have flopped anywhere. He's a very good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad