Speculation: Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I don't see why Richards would have flopped anywhere. He's a very good player.

He had 44 points in 2011-12 and was on pace for 55 points last season, and Toronto would have been acquiring him to fill the #1C role. That would have been considered a flop.

He's a very good player, and I actually still wish we still had him, but he's certainly lost a step and had the Kings not won the Cup, he would be criticized to no end for failing to live up to expectations in LA.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He had 44 points in 2011-12 and was on pace for 55 points last season, and Toronto would have been acquiring him to fill the #1C role. That would have been considered a flop.

He's a very good player, and I actually still wish we still had him, but he's certainly lost a step and had the Kings not won the Cup, he would be criticized to no end for failing to live up to expectations in LA.

I don't know, LA's not a hockey crazed market & they're not really a team people love to hate on. It definitely wouldn't have went over well in Toronto but I can't see it as much in LA.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I don't know, LA's not a hockey crazed market & they're not really a team people love to hate on. It definitely wouldn't have went over well in Toronto but I can't see it as much in LA.
Fair enough, but he certainly wouldn't have the reputation he does now.

Though, I do think had LA not won the Cup, their fans would have grown a bit impatient with Richards and become frustrated with his lack of production.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Pavelski has 336 points in 479 NHL games for an average of 0.70 points a game, and he's produced at 0.77 PPG for the last three seasons.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470794

He's way above the 0.5 figure, even if you wanted to ignore his defense and penalty killing.

I didn't realize he was doing that well. Still, maybe I am missing inflation. 6 million for a guy who is .77 ppg seems steep under the current cap, especially with all their other players on that roster. I don't get to see him play, so maybe he makes up for it in the other areas of his play.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I really think it was that December concussion that took Richards down a big notch. He was in beast mode until then and hasn't looked the same, even in the POs when he's clearly trying to crank it up. Beforehand he looked as good as he ever did in Philly...now he's different.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I really think it was that December concussion that took Richards down a big notch. He was in beast mode until then and hasn't looked the same, even in the POs when he's clearly trying to crank it up. Beforehand he looked as good as he ever did in Philly...now he's different.

Totally forgot about the concussion. Good point.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don't know if they ever officially came out with it but I wouldn't be surprised if he got another one on that Bolland hit in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

LA is a more defensive team, though. Richards is breaking down and the end of his contract might be ugly, but he still would have been an upgrade at 1C in Toronto and been a fan favorite these past two years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I didn't realize he was doing that well. Still, maybe I am missing inflation. 6 million for a guy who is .77 ppg seems steep under the current cap, especially with all their other players on that roster. I don't get to see him play, so maybe he makes up for it in the other areas of his play.

He's also their top penalty killing forward. Unless his point production drops off a cliff, he's not overpaid the way players like Zajac are.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
LA is a more defensive team, though. Richards is breaking down and the end of his contract might be ugly, but he still would have been an upgrade at 1C in Toronto and been a fan favorite these past two years.

I don't really buy the defensive team thing as much. I'm sure it hurts his totals a bit but not as drastic as some make out to be.

For example Simmonds put up 40 points under Terry Murray one year mostly playing on the 3rd line but everybody credits his offensive output now due to playing for an offensive team like the Flyers.

If a guys offensive enough he'll find a way to get his share of points regardless of the system.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
So of course I can not link because I'm on my phone, but it looks like Alex pietrangelo might end up in a hold out. They have made no progress as of lately and it's a possibility it goes into the season. The longer it lasts, the more of a chance he would have to be moved. Chances of which are extremely small, but never say never.

I believe it was a Rutherford article. He has quotes and other things from amrstrong in it I believe

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
So of course I can not link because I'm on my phone, but it looks like Alex pietrangelo might end up in a hold out. They have made no progress as of lately and it's a possibility it goes into the season. The longer it lasts, the more of a chance he would have to be moved. Chances of which are extremely small, but never say never.

I believe it was a Rutherford article. He has quotes and other things from amrstrong in it I believe

stop encouraging hope around here lol

Debs

Aug 24, 2008
between NJ and DE
Yeah, if they werent willing to put a package together to trade for Weber, and now with the new CBA, offersheets are even less likely, I have zero hope that Homer would target Pietrangelo. I just don't think hes willing to trade what would be necessary. I guess you could argue bcecause he is younger than Weber that could be different. I still have zero hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad