Part 5: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Can we just shut down this, the ATL and PHO threads until something happens? Like, actually happens?

Dado

I think you guys are talking about two different things, neither of which has much to do with TNSE.

Upon further review, I have most definitely wandered into the tall grass!

Apologies, mods feel free to delete my distractive posts. :)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
IMO, ASG seems to have some sort of agreement in place with TNSE to sell to the team to them if 1) no local owners can be found and 2) if Phoenix fails.

But I wonder what happens if no local owners can be found and Phoenix does indeed fail and moves to Winnipeg.

Would ASG simply look to recoup their money buy selling to the next highest bidding relocation interest? What happens if Balsillie reappears and offers a huge amount?

:biglaugh: I'd really be interested in where people are fabricating this information.

Puckschmuck*

:biglaugh: I'd really be interested in where people are fabricating this information.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if Winnipeg will get either Phoenix or Atlanta; I guess it will depend which franchise is in worse condition and needs to be moved asap. Perhaps there will be a double relocation.......PHX to WPG & ATL to QC just yet.

Puckschmuck*

They fabricate it from the collective imaginations of people with an abundance of false hope

Interesting to hear, coming from someone in Montreal who knows next to nothing about the efforts that TNSE have been making to acquire a team for next season. I guess we'll see who has it right when a team relocates to Winnipeg for next season.

BTW, do you support a relocation of a team to your sister city in "La Belle Province"?

Navin RJ

"A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap."
Jan 9, 2011
Exchange Distric
I guess we'll find out soon enough if Winnipeg will get either Phoenix or Atlanta; I guess it will depend which franchise is in worse condition and needs to be moved asap. Perhaps there will be a double relocation.......PHX to WPG & ATL to QC just yet.

that would be prime! then outdoor game in our new stadium vs the nords.

mrCoffea*

Interesting to hear, coming from someone in Montreal who knows next to nothing about the efforts the TNSE have been making to acquire a team for next season. I guess we'll see who has it right when a team relocates to Winnipeg for next season.

BTW, do you support a team in your sister city in "La Belle Province"?

What efforts? I've asked earlier in the thread if anyone has ANY data at all showing TNSE's efforts, or the efforts of the "rich" owner...

No one was able to provide anything because apparently they are remaining silent on the issue...

So how is a person supposed to get information? Once in a while I look at the Winnipeg Free press and see articles written by cry-babies comparing the weather in Winnipeg and Phoenix as if it somehow entitles Winnipeg to a team, but other than those fluff pieces, there never seems to be anything more concrete than wishful thinking in regards to the whole situation in Phoenix (and now Atlanta). I also love the one time I visited the site and "breaking news" was an article about two kids walking home from buying groceries (I saved it over how sad and ridiculous it was). Sounds like an exciting city....

So please educate me on their efforts.

As far as Quebec is concerned, I don't really care if they get a team or not, but to be honest I'd rather every team stay where they are. If Quebec were to get a team, I'd rather it be at the expense of another Canadian franchise than an American one. Either way, at least with Quebec I know a little more about the intentions of the city and the owner. I also see that a majority of players would prefer to play in Quebec, which makes me feel better about them having a franchise compared to Winnipeg.

The way the people in Winnipeg have been acting, I'd have nothing but complete and utter satisfaction if both Phoenix and Atlanta remain in their respective cities for the foreseeable future. Maybe it will help them develop some humility (like TNSE and its Owner mind you) and they can finally keep their mouths shut until something actually goes through.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

If the court battle prevented ASG selling the team during that time, what makes you think they have made an agreement with TNSE??? Do YOU have inside information?

Puckschmuck*

What efforts? I've asked earlier in the thread if anyone has ANY data at all showing TNSE's efforts, or the efforts of the "rich" owner...

No one was able to provide anything because apparently they are remaining silent on the issue...

So how is a person supposed to get information? Once in a while I look at the Winnipeg Free press and see articles written by cry-babies comparing the weather in Winnipeg and Phoenix as if it somehow entitles Winnipeg to a team, but other than those fluff pieces, there never seems to be anything more concrete than wishful thinking in regards to the whole situation in Phoenix (and now Atlanta). I also love the one time I visited the site and "breaking news" was an article about two kids walking home from buying groceries (I saved it over how sad and ridiculous it was). Sounds like an exciting city....

As far as Quebec is concerned, I don't really care if they get a team or not, but to be honest I'd rather every team stay where they are. If Quebec were to get a team, I'd rather it be at the expense of another Canadian franchise than an American one. Either way, at least with Quebec I know a little more about the intentions of the city and the owner. I also see that a majority of players would prefer to play in Quebec, which makes me feel better about them having a franchise compared to Winnipeg.

The way the people in Winnipeg have been acting, I'd have nothing but complete and utter satisfaction if both Phoenix and Atlanta remain in their respective cities for the foreseeable future. Maybe it will help them develop some humility (like TNSE and its Owner mind you) and they can finally keep their mouths shut until something actually goes through.

Oh, I get it. You are one of those "let's put teams in big American cities to grow the game", even though that doesn't always work out. Okay, got it.

And as for Winnipegger's keeping our mouths shut on this situation, all I can say is that ain't going to happen. We are overjoyed about getting another franchise after having our Jets ripped away from us. Winnipeggers have every right to show a great amount of enthusiasm about this, and people like you really have no clue about how any of us feel, and clearly don't understand what this means. Maybe some of those that don't understand us and have some sort of grudge against us should keep their mouths shut and concentrate on following their own team of choice. ;)

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg

Oh boy, another person to bet with! How much do you want to bet me that if either Phoenix or Atlanta relocates this year, the first one will be to Winnipeg?

Yes, True North has been very low-key, but even so, their efforts to acquire an NHL team ASAP are well known to anyone that opens their eyes. But believe whatever you want. We will see soon enough.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Yes, TNSE is silent today, because that's how they operate, and besides, they have nothing more to say because it has already been said to the NHL.

Efforts? OK. Here is the scoop..... Years before the Phoenix Coyotes and Atlanta Thrashers became Gary Bettman's worst nightmare, Mark Chipman ( TNSE ) let the NHL know that he would be interested in acquiring an NHL franchise if one became available via relocation or expansion.

Jan 20 2006

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Pittsburgh/2006/01/20/1403347-sun.html

So while Pittsburgh appears to be a long shot under what appear to be the current terms, Chipman admits the pursuit of an NHL team for Winnipeg is alive. To that end, Chipman has expressed his interest to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and understands expansion won't be on the radar screen anytime soon.

"I've known Bill for several years and he's aware of our interest and aware of the building and its attributes," said Chipman, referring to the 15,015-seat MTS Centre.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
They fabricate it from the collective imaginations of people with an abundance of false hope

The one thing that isn't fabricated is that the 7-year "Can't Move the Team" clause just expired on the Atlanta Thrashers when they lost thier last game. As long as the current owners of the Thrasher do "due diligence" in trying to find a local buyer first as stated in the NHL bylaws, but end up NOT finding a local buyer, there is nothing ( short of the NHL buying the team ) that the NHL can do to stop the team from moving, as agreed by contract.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Basketball is easier to market in the south than Hockey, .

please do tell how you arrived at this thesis.

FACT:

The problem with BOTH teams is that the biggest bunch of fools own BOTH. PEOPLE in ATLANTA are sick of them.

FACT:

all the naysayers from outside of Atlanta seem to think it's the fans or lack of. It's not. It's the giant CLOWN CAR driving the franchises off a cliff.

mrCoffea*

Yes, TNSE is silent today, because that's how they operate, and besides, they have nothing more to say because it has already been said to the NHL.

Efforts? OK. Here is the scoop..... Years before the Phoenix Coyotes and Atlanta Thrashers became Gary Bettman's worst nightmare, Mark Chipman ( TNSE ) let the NHL know that he would be interested in acquiring an NHL franchise if one became available via relocation or expansion. TNSE was also invited to do a presentation at the NHL head office to show the plans they had.

Jan 20 2006

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Pittsburgh/2006/01/20/1403347-sun.html

So while Pittsburgh appears to be a long shot under what appear to be the current terms, Chipman admits the pursuit of an NHL team for Winnipeg is alive. To that end, Chipman has expressed his interest to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and understands expansion won't be on the radar screen anytime soon.

"I've known Bill for several years and he's aware of our interest and aware of the building and its attributes," said Chipman, referring to the 15,015-seat MTS Centre.

So all of this talk is based on something that happened nearly 6 years ago, with nothing being said ever since....sounds mighty convincing to me.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So all of this talk is based on something that happened nearly 6 years ago, with nothing being said ever since....sounds mighty convincing to me.

THSE decided to get a team via the front door and by the rules, and not the back door like Basillie. This means you ask and wait, without commenting in the papers about it every day. Seems to have put them in Bettman's good books, concidering the memo from Bettman to Daly stating that if the Coyotes were to ever move they should be offered to Winnipeg first.

You wanted proof. Just because you can't handle the proof...

mrCoffea*

THSE decided to get a team via the front door and by the rules, and not the back door like Basillie. This means you ask and wait, without commenting in the papers about it every day. Seems to have put them in Bettman's good books, concidering the memo from Bettman to Daly stating that if the Coyotes were to ever move they should be offered to Winnipeg first.

You wanted proof. Just because you can't handle the proof...

It's not really proof, still speculation

You'd think that if the NHL had a franchise officially for relocation (which none of them actually are yet), they'd allow the opportunity to other potential owners that have "gone by the rules" and have "remained silent" to potentially have a crack at it. Especially if the NHL is involved in the sale.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/nhl-playoffs-start-wednesday-on-cbc/

Live game coverage will begin on Wednesday at 7pm ET as CBC airs three games. Ron MacLean, Kelly Hrudey, Mike Milbury and PJ Stock will be in studio in Toronto to host the coverage. At 7pm ET the network will be split with Ontario-East getting Lightning-Penguins and Ontario-West (and Windsor) getting Coyotes-Red Wings.

hmmm, the NHL satisfying manitoba hockey fans with the redwings vs coyotes matchup? A prelude to the return of NHL hockey to winnipeg? :nod:

Wippersnapper

Aug 27, 2010
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad