Post-Game Talk: Part 3: PO Game #1 |Flyers 1 at Rangers 4 | Thu., Apr. 17, 2014

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If Patrick Roy and Jesus had a baby, and he played goal for the Flyers, they still would have lost that game last night. He may not have let in the first goal, but no one was stopping either of those power play goals. And Jesus Jr. also would not have been able to get the offense any extra chances.

Actually this mythical player has already existed, he was named Dominik Hasek, and he could have won that game.

But that's just nitpicking on my part.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If they're a 1-line team, that's not a player problem, that's an organizational problem. The players can't be better than they actually are.

they had 7 20 goal scorers. that wasn't the problem. The problem is while its nice to have this scoring spread out this team does not have a game breaker sniper at scoring goals.
this team has holes it has to fix I agree but its just not up front.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's not about making the saves or not sometimes, it's that he has zero chance to make them because of how slow he is.

Do I expect him to make those three saves? No. But I'd expect a goalie to have a chance at them, which he didn't because of how slow he is. I don't remember which goal it was, but one of them showed him shuffling across the crease instead of sliding again like he did against Tampa Bay... Beef knows what I mean.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
I forgot to ask, did anyone actually see the slashing penalties Giroux and Rinaldo took? I don't believe CSN showed a replay for either. Knowing Giroux's temper and Rinaldo's dumbness, I wouldn't be surprised if both penalties were deserved. But if it was just the refs "keeping control of the game" then that's bogus. It's the playoffs, baby. :)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I forgot to ask, did anyone actually see the slashing penalties Giroux and Rinaldo took? I don't believe CSN showed a replay for either. Knowing Giroux's temper and Rinaldo's dumbness, I wouldn't be surprised if both penalties were deserved. But if it was just the refs "keeping control of the game" then that's bogus. It's the playoffs, baby. :)

I don't believe they did show them but my attention span wasn't that great after the Richards goal much like the team I threw the towel in also at that point.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I can't stand how jokey they are. Get rid of Coatsey and have Clement and JJ do a serious commentary. They can be very good if they cut out the crap.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
on a unrelated note that avatar you have is awesome.

I have no skills of my own to speak of, aside from guzzling booze and maintaining vital signs. Jets Mod YWGinYYZ made it. The jersey on the slug cracks me up every time, he used Emery's sleeve for it. :laugh:

emery_snail_29.jpg

35NW8ING

#LaviPondHockeyFail
Apr 6, 2011
giroux and simmonds have to show up for game 2

Giroux yes, Simmonds needs power plays to show up. He's about the most useless 5 on 5 player we have. More than a coincidence he has 1 playoff goal in 13 playoff games as a Flyer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think a little patience is in order, with Berube the coach for less than a year, there's an adjustment period where they have to figure out who fits as they change systems. I'm happy they're in the playoffs for the experience, but I have no expectations this year.

Now next year, if Berube is still playing immobile, skill challenged players over viable alternatives that had an offseason of coaching into his scheme, then it might be time for some "South Philly" persuasion.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013

i saw Giroux penalty it was pretty dumb, ref caught him red handed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am so tired of B. Schenn's absolute ********. He is putrid on defense, chest snipes, and can kill the momentum of a whole game with his boneheaded plays like last night. I thought this guy supposedly models his game after Richards?? That is just laughable now.

What momentum did he kill last night?

Chest snipes? How many people hate Jeff Carter because he never hit the net?

SgtJoseph*

Never seen a dumber bunch then the cohort vilifying Akeson.

He goes in with his stick down to make the hit, falls of balance, and his stick gets Hagelin in the face as he's going down. Literally nothing he could have done except not make the hit in the first place. He had the right idea.

Idiots need to get a grip. He was not the difference. The Flyers were outplayed. It's as simple as that.

And for the record, Akeson had a fantastic game.

No clue what was up with the ice time. Giroux and Voracek are this team's offensive heart beat. Coburn is the defensive backbone. No reason they shouldn't be leading the team in ice time.

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this nonsense ! I know folks are upset about game one etc, but some of the blame on here is absurd ! Our team has a history of bouncing back when facing adversity.........Why not think along those lines instead of throwing in the towel already folks ?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What momentum did he kill last night?

Chest snipes? How many people hate Jeff Carter because he never hit the net?

Can you kill momentum if you never had momentum?

Anyway, I'd guess the closest thing to that was when we were about to go on the PP and he took a dumb penalty.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
B. Schenn has a ton of defenders on this board which is beyond my comprehension. JVR took more abuse and was a hell of lot more noticeable on the ice. What ever your opinions are of B. Schenn, everyone can admit he was suppose to be more by now than he is. He was the center piece of the Richards trade and the best prospect not in the NHL. He has been far less noticeable at this point in his career than Richards, Carter, Giroux, and JVR were. And I not talking about points, I am talking about generating offense. By year 3, those players showed flashes of brilliance and dominance even though without consitancy. Most of B. Schenn's production seems like being in the right place at the right time, which is a skill of its own, but that makes him more complimentary like Hartnell and Simmonds than the difference maker he was brought in to be. Long story short, the 2nd line is full of role players unable to take advantage of easier matchups so if Giroux's line can beat the best defenders a team has, the team can score.
largely true. Schenn is not getting it done today as the second line c. He can't lead the pair yet. People are too impatient around here...they are developing him at that spot, on the job. He's been a game changer at levels below this, so perhaps it will take him some time, and everyone is different. He may never realize his abiltiy.

Look at couts...getting trashed the first half the year...but the last half dude has put it together. He's creating, looks much faster, and if he can add 20 lbs will be a MONSTER for us. Schenn might take more time.

This team is minimum 2 yrs from being legit.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Thank you for bringing some sanity to this nonsense ! I know folks are upset about game one etc, but some of the blame on here is absurd ! Our team has a history of bouncing back when facing adversity.........Why not think along those lines instead of throwing in the towel already folks ?
because impatience.

We should be a huge underdog vs the rags. Their style is horrible for us. We have to play mistake free to beat the rags.

This team is flawed enough to not be able to overcome mistakes, against a team that gives up very few.

SgtJoseph*

because impatience.

We should be a huge underdog vs the rags. Their style is horrible for us. We have to play mistake free to beat the rags.

This team is flawed enough to not be able to overcome mistakes, against a team that gives up very few.

Of course we are an underdog to the Rangers, that is no big news to anyone here who watches Hockey...................The 70s bullies were BIG underdogs to the Bruins and they sorted it out and got the job done..... As did the 2010 Flyers down 3 games to 0, and down 3-0 in the 3rd game..........What is so wrong with a little positive optimism ?Our club needs to HIT more and bring more controlled violence to the next game, its that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad