Post-Game Talk: Part 3: PO Game #1 |Flyers 1 at Rangers 4 | Thu., Apr. 17, 2014

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
A lot of the problems with the offense last game is a result of slow incompetent defenders. They're trying to rush up the ice but the D is still fumbling the puck around behind the net so NY gets a chance to settle down and wait for them instead of worrying about the Flyers forwards.

I agree the defense can't move the puck very well as a group but the forwards are overrated and terrible defensively accept Couturier and Read. Berube has been killed for his ice time decisions, and some of that is warranted, but he has very little to work with. Lecavalier was brought in to help the 2nd line and is now on the 4th line. He is probably the 3rd best forward on the team at generating offense by himself which tells you all you need to know.

B. Schenn has a ton of defenders on this board which is beyond my comprehension. JVR took more abuse and was a hell of lot more noticeable on the ice. What ever your opinions are of B. Schenn, everyone can admit he was suppose to be more by now than he is. He was the center piece of the Richards trade and the best prospect not in the NHL. He has been far less noticeable at this point in his career than Richards, Carter, Giroux, and JVR were. And I not talking about points, I am talking about generating offense. By year 3, those players showed flashes of brilliance and dominance even though without consitancy. Most of B. Schenn's production seems like being in the right place at the right time, which is a skill of its own, but that makes him more complimentary like Hartnell and Simmonds than the difference maker he was brought in to be. Long story short, the 2nd line is full of role players unable to take advantage of easier matchups so if Giroux's line can beat the best defenders a team has, the team can score.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Key to game two is going to be Giroux getting some chances. You can't win if your best players aren't producing.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm still not totally sour on B Schenn like I am with his brother. Typically B Schenn picks it up in the playoffs. Hopefully, last night is a one-off for everybody including him but he definitely needs to pick up his game.

His brother on the other hand just frustrates me. He is a glorified version of Jeff Chychrun...

He had a decent period and then he thought he was a PMD and started handling the puck. In one particular instance he was messing around and then eventually coughed it up and the Rangers had a sustained forecheck in our zone. Just sick of his limited skillset and hockey IQ.....

As far as Akeson...apart from the fact he looks like a dweeb, I thought he played a pretty good game until that unfortunate and careless penalty which should have been just 2 mins. He is definitely crafty with the puck and at least with the hit attempt he was trying out there to be involved. Hopefully, he makes up for it and scores some goals.

Berube also fell short yesterday. Room for improvement by everybody. That first line was completely neutered. So much for the dump and chase tactic against McDonagh..

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree the defense can't move the puck very well as a group but the forwards are overrated and terrible defensively accept Couturier and Read. Berube has been killed for his ice time decisions, and some of that is warranted, but he has very little to work with. Lecavalier was brought in to help the 2nd line and is now on the 4th line. He is probably the 3rd best forward on the team at generating offense by himself which tells you all you need to know.

B. Schenn has a ton of defenders on this board which is beyond my comprehension. JVR took more abuse and was a hell of lot more noticeable on the ice. What ever your opinions are of B. Schenn, everyone can admit he was suppose to be more by now than he is. He was the center piece of the Richards trade and the best prospect not in the NHL. He has been far less noticeable at this point in his career than Richards, Carter, Giroux, and JVR were. And I not talking about points, I am talking about generating offense. By year 3, those players showed flashes of brilliance and dominance even though without consitancy. Most of B. Schenn's production seems like being in the right place at the right time, which is a skill of its own, but that makes him more complimentary like Hartnell and Simmonds than the difference maker he was brought in to be. Long story short, the 2nd line is full of role players unable to take advantage of easier matchups so if Giroux's line can beat the best defenders a team has, the team can score.

Surprisingly, I don't have strong feeling on Schenn either way like most people do. It seems like half defend him to death and the other half absolutely hate him, but I don't know. I'm very critical of people who annoy me, like Hartnell, Grossman, Emery, Downie, and Berube, but for some reason I don't find myself hating Schenn every time I see him screw up like they I do when the others screw up. At the same time I don't feel the need to defend him either, it's really strange because usually I either really like or really hate Flyers players depending on how I see them play.

At this point I think the best choice would be to move him from center to the wing and let him be the complimentary piece that he is instead of trying to get him to drive a line. Put him with G and Jake so all he has to do is shoot the puck or tap it in, not try to do too much and mess up because of it. Some people might not want Schenn on the top line because they don't think he deserves it, and they may be right, but I think that's the only place where he'll be of value to us right now.

Schenn-G-Jake
Hartnell-Lecavelier-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Akeson
Rinaldo-Raffl-Hall

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Surprisingly, I don't have strong feeling on Schenn either way like most people do. It seems like half defend him to death and the other half absolutely hate him, but I don't know. I'm very critical of people who annoy me, like Hartnell, Grossman, Emery, Downie, and Berube, but for some reason I don't find myself hating Schenn every time I see him screw up like they I do when the others screw up. At the same time I don't feel the need to defend him either, it's really strange because usually I either really like or really hate Flyers players depending on how I see them play.

At this point I think the best choice would be to move him from center to the wing and let him be the complimentary piece that he is instead of trying to get him to drive a line. Put him with G and Jake so all he has to do is shoot the puck or tap it in, not try to do too much and mess up because of it. Some people might not want Schenn on the top line because they don't think he deserves it, and they may be right, but I think that's the only place where he'll be of value to us right now.

Schenn-G-Jake
Hartnell-Lecavelier-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Akeson
Rinaldo-Raffl-Hall

I feel the same way about B Schenn.....I'm just ambivalent towards him for the most part. That is not necessarily a good thing either. I'm not really a hater of him though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I feel the same way about B Schenn.....I'm just ambivalent towards him for the most part. That is not necessarily a good thing either. I'm not really a hater of him though.

Yep, I'm not going to defend him every time someone trashes him, but at the same time I don't really feel the same as all the people who seriously get on his back about things because I feel like there are a LOT of bigger issues right now than one inconsistent young player. Honestly I feel the same way about his brother... I can't lose mind over how good or bad he plays while Grossmann is such a larger issue and is playing so much more every game.

Oh well...

2Claude2Giroux

Oct 2, 2009
Lansdowne
It's really too bad that Akeson was getting a ton of ****, because he was arguably the Flyers best forward last night. His line was the only one who was keeping possession in the Rangers' zone. It's just that no one on that line can finish.

Unfortunately, I really think the Rangers are hitting their stride at the right time. Their forwards are amazing at keeping the puck in the other team's zone (especially Hagelin, who I would kill to have on the Flyers) and their defense is smart with the puck.

This team needs Gostisbehere and Hägg to develop quickly.

2Claude2Giroux

Oct 2, 2009
Lansdowne
Not sure if anyone else noticed this but there was one part of the game where Raffl shot the puck at Lundqvist and he froze it. The Flyers had a rare opportunity inside the Rangers' zone and Berube put out the 4th ****ing line. Made absolutely no sense to me.

Of course Lecavalier lost the faceoff and the Rangers just drove right up the ice.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
All the Flyers need to do is be physical, win board battles, hard on the forecheck, be disciplined, shoot the damn puck and play ****ing simple. They looked like a bunch of panzies out there who forgot they were in the playoffs.

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
I would get Vinny off the 4th line for starters. They played okay in the 1st but just let the game get away from them from the 2nd to the end of the game.

2Claude2Giroux

Oct 2, 2009
Lansdowne
This game just reminded me way too much of the series against the Devils.

The Rangers were just clicking on all 4 lines and their defense wasn't making any mistakes.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not sure if anyone else noticed this but there was one part of the game where Raffl shot the puck at Lundqvist and he froze it. The Flyers had a rare opportunity inside the Rangers' zone and Berube put out the 4th ****ing line. Made absolutely no sense to me.

Of course Lecavalier lost the faceoff and the Rangers just drove right up the ice.

T8eDxPf.jpg

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
This game just reminded me way too much of the series against the Devils.

The Rangers were just clicking on all 4 lines and their defense wasn't making any mistakes.

I had the same thought, kind of worrisome. They really need to start throwing the puck in on McDonaugh and hit him every chance they get so he thinks twice because of that shoulder. I'm condoning injuring a player just to take advantage of his misfortunes. Also put the body on Zuccarrello.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
This game was over before it started. Emery just can't match up with playoff-caliber teams. The only time we'll be in fair competition would be if Mason is back.

We're not screwed, but that was pretty awful.

RJ8812*

This game was over before it started. Emery just can't match up with playoff-caliber teams. The only time we'll be in fair competition would be if Mason is back.

Ya, it was all Emery's fault that the Flyers were only able to get 15 shots

:laugh:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

If Patrick Roy and Jesus had a baby, and he played goal for the Flyers, they still would have lost that game last night. He may not have let in the first goal, but no one was stopping either of those power play goals. And Jesus Jr. also would not have been able to get the offense any extra chances.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
He goes in with his stick down to make the hit, falls of balance, and his stick gets Hagelin in the face as he's going down. Literally nothing he could have done except not make the hit in the first place. He had the right idea.

Idiots need to get a grip. He was not the difference. The Flyers were outplayed. It's as simple as that.

And for the record, Akeson had a fantastic game.

On his first shift, I was all like, "Who is this #42 guy and why is he flying across the ice?" So then I continued to watch him on each subsequent shift that Cout's line was out there for.

He played outstanding (in my opinion) for his 2nd/3rd NHL game. Instead of having eyes transfixed upon Couturier, I was locked on Akeson any time he was on the ice. Unfortunate, that penalty of his. Did you see how slowly he skated toward the bench coming out of the box after the two goals?

Akeson is battling his worst enemy right now; himself. Hopefully the team gave him something positive to think upon despite whatever negative may be floating about them right now.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
On his first shift, I was all like, "Who is this #42 guy and why is he flying across the ice?" So then I continued to watch him on each subsequent shift that Cout's line was out there for.

He played outstanding (in my opinion) for his 2nd/3rd NHL game. Instead of having eyes transfixed upon Couturier, I was locked on Akeson any time he was on the ice. Unfortunate, that penalty of his. Did you see how slowly he skated toward the bench coming out of the box after the two goals?

Akeson is battling his worst enemy right now; himself. Hopefully the team gave him something positive to think upon despite whatever negative may be floating about them right now.

One thing this team has done well this season supporting eachother. Akeson's closeast buddy on the team is G, they've known eachother for a long time, I guarantee G talked to him and told him to forget about it and continue to play his game and the team supports him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad