Post-Game Talk: Part 3: PO Game #1 |Flyers 1 at Rangers 4 | Thu., Apr. 17, 2014

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Schenn loses his edge(never happened to an NHL player before) and you people blame him.

A lot of you really need to get you **** together. Typical ******** calling the series after one game. It's pathetic.

Supposed to be the best fans in the world. We sound like a bunch of *****. Reactionary morons.

You act like this is the only disappointing game Schenn has had. Even JVR was showing more.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
You act like this is the only disappointing game Schenn has had. Even JVR was showing more.

While I've been on the "BSchenn is underwhelming" train since last season, I still have a tough time committing myself to the idea of trading him.

He sleepwalked his way to .5 PPG this seson. If he could ever settle into the lineup comfortably, he has an excellent chance at being a 60 point player. It's just so frustrating seeing him rack up points without ever being truly engaged.

The idea of him "engaging" scares me. I don't want to sell low on him since he is clearly still going to get better. The question is just, how patient do you want to be with him? How patient can we be with him?

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Someone said this before, but this rangers series seems like it could easily be the Devils series in 2012.

Did not bode well at all for the Flyers. Needless to say, I'm pretty concerned.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
While I've been on the "BSchenn is underwhelming" train since last season, I still have a tough time committing myself to the idea of trading him.

He sleepwalked his way to .5 PPG this seson. If he could ever settle into the lineup comfortably, he has an excellent chance at being a 60 point player. It's just so frustrating seeing him rack up points without ever being truly engaged.

The idea of him "engaging" scares me. I don't want to sell low on him since he is clearly still going to get better. The question is just, how patient do you want to be with him? How patient can we be with him?

Yeah, I'm not saying TRADE HIM either, because that paragraph.

But looking at his last 130ish games I struggle to see the hockey IQ that would let him hit that high level. He has to start showing something sometime.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
My thoughts on the game:

-No way you blame Emery for it. He was hung out to dry on those PP goals.
-Akeson had a great game and was one of our top forwards. Was his penalty unfortunate? Yes. But I'm 100% fine with an accidental penalty on a hustle play, especially versus a lazy hooking call. Dude gave it his all, want to see that again Sunday.
-Biggest problem, to me, was the flow of unscreened shots on the rush from the point. I felt like every other rush ended with a dump in at Lundqvist's chest. I think the forecheck needs to improve dramatically and actually allow for setting up. We set up for Micky D's goal and look, A GOAL.
-The Rangers forwards really don't scare me. Played a great game defensively until the double minor, which just deflated the team, me thinks.

Series isn't over but some adjustments need to be made for sure.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Someone said this before, but this rangers series seems like it could easily be the Devils series in 2012.

Did not bode well at all for the Flyers. Needless to say, I'm pretty concerned.

after being dominated in their house yet again, that badly.

you'd have to have your head in the sand to think that loss was nothing...

they at the VERY least need to hang with the Rags this next game, even if its a loss... they at least need to make it a super close game..

get blown out again, and its a sweep

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
The Flyers should still be able to come back and take this series. Vinny clearly plays better at center than at wing so I wouldn't be against putting him at center over Schenn if the team struggles again in the next game.

35NW8ING

#LaviPondHockeyFail
Apr 6, 2011
Agreed but when your a "superstar" in a playoff game you must register at least one shot on goal!!

Agreed. The easiest "superstar" in the league to shut down, and it's done time and time again. The guys shutting him down aren't exactly Selke nominees either. I like the guy but much like Richards, he's Robin, not Batman.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Agreed. The easiest "superstar" in the league to shut down, and it's done time and time again. The guys shutting him down aren't exactly Selke nominees either. I like the guy but much like Richards, he's Robin, not Batman.

Lol what a joke. He's Robin to who? He's lead this team to this point and he doesn't produce in game 1 and suddenly he's not good anymore. Funny.

35NW8ING

#LaviPondHockeyFail
Apr 6, 2011
Lol what a joke. He's Robin to who? He's lead this team to this point and he doesn't produce in game 1 and suddenly he's not good anymore. Funny.

He's Robin to the Batman we don't have. He's a Robin in a league wide sense. We need a player better than him (plus a lot more) to actually contend year in and year out. A player that is slightly less the player Giroux is, would not be enough. Just think about the Batman & Robin combos throughout the last 15 or so years and it becomes much clearer.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He's Robin to the Batman we don't have. He's a Robin in a league wide sense. We need a player better than him (plus a lot more) to actually contend year in and year out. A player that is slightly less the player Giroux is, would not be enough. Just think about the Batman & Robin combos throughout the last 15 or so years and it becomes much clearer.

lirl
hows JXC been btw? sounds just like him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, he's a Batman without a Robin. One player can't do it himself, one of Lecavalier or Schenn needs to do SOMETHING to take pressure off him. Teams focus on him. Someone else needs to take advantage and draw some of that attention away.

Some people ave unrealistic expectations.

35NW8ING

#LaviPondHockeyFail
Apr 6, 2011
No, he's a Batman without a Robin. One player can't do it himself, one of Lecavalier or Schenn needs to do SOMETHING to take pressure off him. Teams focus on him. Someone else needs to take advantage and draw some of that attention away.

Some people ave unrealistic expectations.

Bold by me and exactly my point. Batman by default. He's Batman on our team because we have no Robin. He's not Batman in a league wide sense. There are very few Batman's in the league to begin with and unfortunately he isn't one of them. I'm sorry but a Pittsburgh team with Giroux in place of Crosby isn't winning a cup. Giroux in place of Malkin maybe, but still unlikely.

Giroux would be Robin in place of either Datsyuk or Zetterberg while either was in their prime. He's also Robin on SJ, CHI, TB, and Boston.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bold by me and exactly my point. Batman by default. He's Batman on our team because we have no Robin. He's not Batman in a league wide sense. There are very few Batman's in the league to begin with and unfortunately he isn't one of them. I'm sorry but a Pittsburgh team with Giroux in place of Crosby isn't winning a cup. Giroux in place of Malkin maybe, but still unlikely.

Giroux would be Robin in place of either Datsyuk or Zetterberg while either was in their prime. He's also Robin on SJ, CHI, TB, and Boston.

Holy ****. He's a top 5 player in this league over the last few years. Since 2011 he has had to carry this team himself. If that's not good enough your expectations are wrong.

Of course, with the way you roll, you would find a way to crap all over a prime Gretzky as a Flyer. You're severely underestimating Giroux worse than most Pens fans.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Most points in the NHL this decade.
Most points in the NHL in the last three years.

2nd most assists in the NHL this decade.
Most assists in the NHL in the last three years.

5th most PPG in the NHL this decade.
4th most PPG in the NHL in the last three years.

4th most APG in the NHL this decade.
3rd most APG in the NHL in the last three years.

Twice top 3 in NHL scoring.

Twice top 4 in Hart Voting. (he will be 3rd this year.)

4x top 10 in Assists. (each of last 4 years.)

Only player in the NHL top 15 in scoring each of the last 4 years.

2010-11: 11th in NHL scoring
2011-12: 3rd in NHL scoring
2012-13: 13th in NHL scoring
2013-14: 3rd in NHL scoring

86 points per 82 games the last 4 seasons.
90 points per 82 games the last 3 seasons.

3rd in playoff PPG since first playoffs (player with more than 30GP)... after Crosby and Malkin.

Honestly... there are three forwards in the NHL who are clearly better than Giroux:

Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos

and even then, Stamkos' best season he paced for 97 points... Girouxs' best he paced for 99, and Stamkos is worse defensively and had MSL for most of his career... in the games since he came back without MSL he has 19 points in 22 games. Ofc he is still not 100%... but still.

I still think Stamkos is better, but he is closer to the Giroux, Getzlaf, Toews and Tavares group than Crosby and Malkin.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Most points in the NHL this decade.
Most points in the NHL in the last three years.

2nd most assists in the NHL this decade.
Most assists in the NHL in the last three years.

5th most PPG in the NHL this decade.
4th most PPG in the NHL in the last three years.

4th most APG in the NHL this decade.
3rd most APG in the NHL in the last three years.

Twice top 3 in NHL scoring.

Twice top 4 in Hart Voting. (he will be 3rd this year.)

4x top 10 in Assists. (each of last 4 years.)

Only player in the NHL top 15 in scoring each of the last 4 years.

2010-11: 11th in NHL scoring
2011-12: 3rd in NHL scoring
2012-13: 13th in NHL scoring
2013-14: 3rd in NHL scoring

86 points per 82 games the last 4 seasons.
90 points per 82 games the last 3 seasons.

3rd in playoff PPG since first playoffs (player with more than 30GP)... after Crosby and Malkin.

Honestly... there are three forwards in the NHL who are clearly better than Giroux:

Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos

and even then, Stamkos' best season he paced for 97 points... Girouxs' best he paced for 99, and Stamkos is worse defensively and had MSL for most of his career... in the games since he came back without MSL he has 19 points in 22 games. Ofc he is still not 100%... but still.

I still think Stamkos is better, but he is closer to the Giroux, Getzlaf, Toews and Tavares group than Crosby and Malkin.

I think I see what you're saying, not really a Robin... more like an Alfred.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad