Prospect Info: Part 2: Oskar Lindblom -- round 5 #138 overall 2014 NHL Draft [recalled on 2/19]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If Lindblom pans out to what we thinks he may become and also do it on the first line with Giroux-Simmonds/Giroux-Voracek, then he could maybe be in the Calder race (don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to be in the running). Honestly, considering how much ice time the kid will probably get every game, I could see Hischier getting it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://www.philly.com/philly/column...ar-lindblom-phantoms-nhl-hockey-20171026.html

“Outside of scoring, Oskar’s been great,” Phantoms coach Scott Gordon said. “Very rarely is he out of position. He doesn’t make poor decisions. He’s had probably at least three quality scoring chances in every game.”

Lindblom, who lately has been on a line with center Corban Knight and right winger Chris Conner, missed a point-blank chance late in the first period Wednesday as he shot the puck right at goalie Samuel Montembeault.

Gordon believes that once he scores his first goal, the floodgates will open.

“I know it’s going to happen,” said Gordon, the one-time Islanders head coach. “I think there’s going to be a time where he’s going to start getting rewarded for the chances he gets, and they’re going to come in bunches….He does everything right, wins a ton of puck battles, and he’s always in the right position. And when he does make a mistake, he immediately understands. Sometimes you get the deer-in-the-headlight look with some players and they don’t know what you’re talking about. With him, sometimes he’s finishing your sentence before you get everything out.”

Gordon said he was impressed with Lindblom when he played eight late-season games with the Phantoms two years ago. “There are things he can get better at, but he’s one of the better players at protecting the puck,” Gordon said. “He’s head and shoulders above a lot of our players in that regard. So to say he’s got to get bigger and stronger, he (already) knows how to use his body. Maybe his skating can get a little better, more efficient. But I think another month from now, he’ll have more chemistry with who he’s playing with. We’re still trying to figure out who our lines are going to be.”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom could probably have started with the Flyers, but he'd likely have the same issues as Patrick (minus recovery from surgery), getting used to the NHL game. Knowing Hextall, he'd probably have started Patrick in the AHL for a couple months to get him acclimated, which is what they're doing with Lindblom and Vorobyev.

It's become obvious that Hextall is very conservative with player development, he doesn't want a young kid to be overwhelmed, physically overmatched or discouraged by putting them into the starting lineup too quickly - he's seen that first hand.

Whether he's right or wrong is a matter of opinion, it's basically a judgement call that varies from player to player and situation to situation.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lindblom could probably have started with the Flyers, but he'd likely have the same issues as Patrick (minus recovery from surgery), getting used to the NHL game. Knowing Hextall, he'd probably have started Patrick in the AHL for a couple months to get him acclimated, which is what they're doing with Lindblom and Vorobyev.

It's become obvious that Hextall is very conservative with player development, he doesn't want a young kid to be overwhelmed, physically overmatched or discouraged by putting them into the starting lineup too quickly - he's seen that first hand.

Whether he's right or wrong is a matter of opinion, it's basically a judgement call that varies from player to player and situation to situation.

Robert+Hagg+NHL+Draft+Portraits+Z_UM9fiEwUyl.jpg

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
You don't think he was overwhelmed last game?

Putting him on the top pair like that is giving him WAY more than he can handle right now.

It is almost as if he should have played more than one game at the end of last year.

Reactions: Rebels57

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You don't think he was overwhelmed last game?

Putting him on the top pair like that is giving him WAY more than he can handle right now.
So was Provy with the Ducks forecheck. Preds and Ducks played the game the way they like the second time around and it was easy for both teams to beat. We barely had scoring chances.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Difference is, Provorov has proven over a full NHL season that he can handle top pair minutes.

Hagg hasn't.

Amazing how one prospect can be rushed like this while they try to feed us this patience philosophy. It's selective, just like accountability.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You're reading way too much into one game when the whole team was swamped. Provorov also played poorly despite playing 82 games last year.

Playing the right side with Provorov is not some great leap from playing the right side with Ghost.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You're reading way too much into one game when the whole team was swamped. Provorov also played poorly despite playing 82 games last year.

Playing the right side with Provorov is not some great leap from playing the right side with Ghost.
I know it's one game, but do you think they'd have put Sanheim up on the top pairing right now? No way, its way too early for that because he's not ready. So why do it to Hagg?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Part of what they're probably doing is "testing" guys in different roles.
Sanheim is more vulnerable because he's expected to be more aggressive (and thus can make worse mistakes).
I'd expect Sanheim will be brought along slowly, and given more responsibility as the season progresses.
They have different roles and different demands placed on them.

I see this as a transition year where they're still more focused on player development than winning, and where they'll gradually work in young players - I expect a number of current AHL players will end up on the team, but not all at once.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hagg was matched against Lucic-RNH-Strome on Saturday for 7 minutes, which is a pretty good line, and against McDavid for 4 minutes. So he was already facing tough competition.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well then it's more than one game where he's been overused.

The point is, the way they're using him conflicts with what they've said and done with the others.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well then it's more than one game where he's been overused.

The point is, the way they're using him conflicts with what they've said and done with the others.

It's simple. He is getting preferential treatment because simple boring players appeal to them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
10 games into a season, one bad game, clearly shouldn't be playing. Amazing what some people will see to fit their narrative.

Provy clearly wasnt ready last year after the -20 in the Chicago game. Sanheim clearly isnt ready after hia first two games...its not like rookie defenseman make mistakes or anything....ever....

Reactions: JXC and Curufinwe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
10 games into a season, one bad game, clearly shouldn't be playing. Amazing what some people will see to fit their narrative.

Provy clearly wasnt ready last year after the -20 in the Chicago game. Sanheim clearly isnt ready after hia first two games...its not like rookie defenseman make mistakes or anything....ever....

No one said any of this.

We are just discussing why Hagg is being treated differently than his superior peers Sanheim and Morin.

I like Hagg.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad