GDT: Part 2, Game #1| Jan. 19, 2013|Penguins at Flyers |3:00 p.m. ET

toughfighter83*

People are jumping to conclusions that can't possibly be supported by a single game.

The offensive effort was much better than the 1 goal on the scoreboard indicated. Bad breaks around the goal crease. The Flyers played evenly against one of the best teams in the conference.

it's not just this game, it's been this way since lav got here, they are always passing they are not shooting, i dont care how great the offense was last year or the year before, good defensive teams see that and they shut them down, that's only reason why passing works against bad teams because they have bad defenders but against the trap like the devils/rangers, it's never going to work, that's why we couldnt beat the devils and rangers, they were too passive,

they have to shoot more or else it will be the same problems.

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
Simmonds looked awesome in this game. Schenn and Couturier, not so much. I really dont like the decision to put Schenn on the top line wing. I like Voracek a lot better there.

All in all though, that wasn't a bad game. The team as a whole looked really good outside of the first period. If bryz can play this good most of the time, I think this team can compete for the #1 seed. The PP units need work, and I'm not a fan of Briere but he's an important piece there, admittedly.

Right now the most concerning thing to me is Schenn and Couturier. I hope they shake it off and rebound

I agree with all of this. I know it's early, but I would rather Schenn play 2nd line C and Couturier play 3rd line. Frankly, I don't think either one of them is ready to carry a line offensively yet, especially Couturier (and I'm a huge Couturier fan).

There's a lot this season riding on these two being able to build off of last season, and I think that's a big risk. One of the reasons I don't have high expectations for this year.

All that being said, the Penguins didn't do much after the first period. Really like what I saw from Luke and Grossmann.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I agree with all of this. I know it's early, but I would rather Schenn play 2nd line C and Couturier play 3rd line. Frankly, I don't think either one of them is ready to carry a line offensively yet, especially Couturier (and I'm a huge Couturier fan).

There's a lot this season riding on these two being able to build off of last season, and I think that's a big risk. One of the reasons I don't have high expectations for this year.

All that being said, the Penguins didn't do much after the first period. Really like what I saw from Luke and Grossmann.

Once Briere gets back I expect Couts to go to 3rd line center and Schenn to 2nd line wing. If Laughton keeps up his good play I can see him sticking and playing 4th line center. Briere is a huge part of this teams offense and Voracek should be back on the top line when Briere is back.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Thought we played well and had some great chances that beat the goalie but didn't go. First game post lockout you expect that. You can tell when things start clicking it's going to be fun.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I never judge a team by the first 5-10 games....people really are quite funny who lament that the sky is falling after only 1 game ...particularly after a close hard fought game like today....

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Both teams were rusty. Reason pens won; they were slightly less rusty to start the game. Flyers carried the play for large stretches and got a lot of good chances, and fumbled them, but hey, it's the 1st game after a lockout with 6 days of preparation. I'm not concerned at all. Bryz looked solid and focused. Not sure how much he could have done on either goal. Our passing was awful for the majority of the game, but that's something that will get better as players start toget into a groove. I honestly think if we had come out a bit more prepared from the get go, we would have won that game.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
0-5 on the PP - that cannot happen..... *** brutal.

...that's a pretty regular occurrence though. It's just been one game so far. Let's give them a little bit.

They were really flying during the last two periods. Hope they have something left in the tank for the second game in 24 hours.

First two games of the season, I think they've got this.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
it's not just this game, it's been this way since lav got here, they are always passing they are not shooting, i dont care how great the offense was last year or the year before, good defensive teams see that and they shut them down, that's only reason why passing works against bad teams because they have bad defenders but against the trap like the devils/rangers, it's never going to work, that's why we couldnt beat the devils and rangers, they were too passive,

Do you do anything besides complain?

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Wait. I thought if you were going to complain about the team, you couldn't be a fan?

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
My thoughts on the game:

-First goal was understandable, don't completely blame Bryz but he needs to be bigger in net.
-Second goal all Bryz.
-Grossmann couldn't handle a puck to save his life and really should not be used offensively at all. Looked to me as the rustiest player out there.
-Giroux has transcended and is playing just out of his mind, looks like he can will the puck wherever he wants. He just looks like he's playing 3 steps ahead of everyone else, just couldn't get help finishing.
-Simmonds, just because you wear 17 doesn't mean you need to miss wide open nets.
-PP2 is poop.
-First period was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen, but the second two really encouraged me.
-Bryz was solid. Needs to not let in one crappy goal a game.
-Defense was decent, cleared the porch typically well from what I recall.
-Oh, Wellwood is Mendoza from Mighty Ducks 2. Homie is just fast, cannot do anything after that.

What's the general consensus on here?

Last edited:

SgtJoseph*

My thoughts on the game:

-First goal was understandable, don't completely blame Bryz but he needs to be bigger in net.
-Second goal all Bryz.
-Grossmann couldn't handle a puck to save his life and really should not be used offensively at all. Looked to me as the rustiest player out there.
-Giroux has transcended and is playing just out of his mind, looks like he can will the puck wherever he wants. He just looks like he's playing 3 steps ahead of everyone else, just couldn't get help finishing.
-Simmonds, just because you wear 17 doesn't mean you need to miss wide open nets.
-PP2 is poop.
-First period was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen, but the second two really encouraged me.
-Oh, Wellwood is Mendoza from Mighty Ducks 2. Homie is just fast, cannot do anything after that.

I thought it was a heck of a game overall.......One of those games that coulda gone either way.Bryz looked sharp to me, and our D was not bad. Our PP needs a good shot from the point for sure, and i am hoping Foster can work his way into the PP before long...I also believe we waste great shot chances by passing a little TOO much at times.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
I thought it was a heck of a game overall.......One of those games that coulda gone either way.Bryz looked sharp to me, and our D was not bad. Our PP needs a good shot from the point for sure, and i am hoping Foster can work his way into the PP before long...I also believe we waste great shot chances by passing a little TOO much at times.

Ok, so basically what I think haha. I thought it was a great game and gave me no reason to worry (aside from the 1st period).

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Brandon Sutter had a great game, they may have lost Staal's scoring but they sure did not lose anything on defense. He is going to be a pain to play against.

Crosby and Malkin were invisible other than faceoffs where they dominated, especially crosby. He is the best faceoff man in the league it seems.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I never judge a team by the first 5-10 games....people really are quite funny who lament that the sky is falling after only 1 game ...particularly after a close hard fought game like today....

Partially agree. 10 games in a 48 season is HUGE so they have to start clicking fairly soon.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
My thoughts on the game:

-Second goal all Bryz.
-PP2 is poop.

Haha I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. First goal dont blame Bryz at all. 2nd I do. I thought our defense and team defense was very very good after the first. Honestly I thought it was better then 90% of the games last season. Grossmann I definitely disagree with. Thought he was out best defender followed by L. Schenn. I actually didnt think Giroux had his best game. Not bad but i would say average to slightly above. Simmonds i agree with as i do with Wellwood. Need more from Couts and B.Schenn.

Just my opinion though :)

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
My thoughts on the game:

-Second goal all Bryz.
-PP2 is poop.

Other than his puck handling, I thought Grossmann was one of our better defensemen today.

I'm very happy with the way Bryz played today. I don't think the second goal was really that bad. He probably shouldn't have let it in, but we've seen him let in a lot worse so I guess it's an improvement.

The whole PP is poop.

Overall, after the first period, the Flyers dominated the Pens. They deserved to win that game but Fleury just stood on his head. It happens. I think things will improve as the season progresses.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Sounds like I missed a good game...I really only saw parts of the 1st..nothing afterwards. Had to deal with a sick pet...:(

Encouraging to hear Bryz played well.....how was Laughton?

Sux about the PP and faceoffs...those two things are big if you want to go to the playoffs and succeed.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
Haha I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. First goal dont blame Bryz at all. 2nd I do. I thought our defense and team defense was very very good after the first. Honestly I thought it was better then 90% of the games last season. Grossmann I definitely disagree with. Thought he was out best defender followed by L. Schenn. I actually didnt think Giroux had his best game. Not bad but i would say average to slightly above. Simmonds i agree with as i do with Wellwood. Need more from Couts and B.Schenn.

Just my opinion though :)

I don't think we disagree much at all. It's hard to blame Bryz for the 1st one and I don't, 2nd I do. Defense was fine, I agree. Grossmann was fine defending, but he lost control of the puck more times than I can count. That's my only gripe with him. I think Giroux was just absurd so we may disagree there, and I agree about Couts and BSchenn.

Other than his puck handling, I thought Grossmann was one of our better defensemen today.

I'm very happy with the way Bryz played today. I don't think the second goal was really that bad. He probably shouldn't have let it in, but we've seen him let in a lot worse so I guess it's an improvement.

The whole PP is poop.

Overall, after the first period, the Flyers dominated the Pens. They deserved to win that game but Fleury just stood on his head. It happens. I think things will improve as the season progresses.

I agree with Grossmann and Bryz essentially. I thought the first PP was great after their 1st PP, which was horrendous. And I agree they dominated them and expect good things from them.

My gripes don't mean the Flyers stink, just picking out things I think they can/need to improve on.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm not concerned at all. They played bad in the first and then continued to get better, but got some unlucky bounces. The PP went 0-5, but after the first it was much better. They had great movement and great chances, a couple posts and fluke missed open nets (I believe those were on the PP, not 100% sure). Honestly 0-5 nights happen, and if it was game 27 no one would even say anything.

Briere was definitely missed as we didn't have much secondary offense. The D was better than I was expecting, but we don't really have any guys that can move the puck. Mez and Coburn are good at skating it up, but we miss Pronger's and Carle's (yes Carle) outlet passes a lot.

Overall I think it was a decent start, and about as good as a loss can be, but they can't afford to get behind in the short season. And starting slow is concerning as it was something that plagued them last year. Hopefully, it was just a rust thing today, but I don't know.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Briere's backdoor/behind the net work would of been awesome for the PP (and it was dearly missed).

It would also be great on 5v5, but he really can't set up there unless he has linemates he can work with. He was back there a lot less last year than he was with Leino and Hartnell, for instance.

Edit: Specifically, I think Leino was crucial. His ability to hold on to the puck let Briere sneak into position by the post a lot.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am wondering if the Pens faceoff strategy is specific. All four centers had 57% or higher winning % (63%,58%,57%,65%), but the team overall had 56%, because they try and cheat on every one and get kicked out of the dot a lot, leaving the wingers to take the draw.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20122013/ES020001.HTM

I would like the Flyers to do the same. Ie. cheat more. Hartnell took some draws last year and Schenn and Briere are centers playing wing, so if the center gets kicked out, it is not just a gimme for their opponent.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
It would also be great on 5v5, but he really can't set up there unless he has linemates he can work with. He was back there a lot less last year than he was with Leino and Hartnell, for instance.

Edit: Specifically, I think Leino was crucial. His ability to hold on to the puck let Briere sneak into position by the post a lot.

Sounds like a job for Voracek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad