GDT: Part 2, Game #1| Jan. 19, 2013|Penguins at Flyers |3:00 p.m. ET

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Coming in peace.

I thought it was a great game between these two clubs. No retribution crap (which many of you wanted), but it was solid clean hockey.

Should get more intense as the season goes, but I think it was a really good evaluation on what each squad needs to work on, which will only benefit both teams.

Gotta give it to Philly for containing Sid/Geno once again.

The best part was...that both goalies who have been the interest of criticism came out to play today!!

See you next time you ****** ;)

SgtJoseph*

Thought it was a damn good game.........I thought both clubs played hard physical hockey and both goalies looked pretty sharp in my opinion.....We had our fair chances to tie it up etc, and just could not bury it.....Hats off to the Pens, they came into Philly and played well..........On to Buffalo.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Simmonds looked awesome in this game. Schenn and Couturier, not so much. I really dont like the decision to put Schenn on the top line wing. I like Voracek a lot better there.

All in all though, that wasn't a bad game. The team as a whole looked really good outside of the first period. If bryz can play this good most of the time, I think this team can compete for the #1 seed. The PP units need work, and I'm not a fan of Briere but he's an important piece there, admittedly.

Right now the most concerning thing to me is Schenn and Couturier. I hope they shake it off and rebound

We pretty much got rid of JVR and Jagr hoping these two can increase their playing level. If they can't even with Briere we will have trouble scoring this season.

If we continue to struggle scoring this whole season, I know some want Briere gone, but he might the only one besides Giroux that could provide some good offense.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
As 90% of the game had to be watched on NBCsports.com - and it was jumpy, and the resolution kept getting worse... I honestly have no idea what happened :cry::cry:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Voracek has no business playing the point.

Edit: And yeah. Schenn and Couturier really ought to be better. They've been playing. Maybe AHL made them complacent? Who knows.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
People are jumping to conclusions that can't possibly be supported by a single game.

The offensive effort was much better than the 1 goal on the scoreboard indicated. Bad breaks around the goal crease. The Flyers played evenly against one of the best teams in the conference.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
We were one great play from Adams away from tying that thing.

We really lack offense from the point on the PP, but our D wasn't that bad.Pretty physical.

Foster won't last long if he keeps getting nailed like he did tonight.

Expected more from Coutts and Schenn.

Laughton looked good, as did Fedotenko. Maybe Simmonds is taking a step forward this year.

Rinaldo didn't do anything stupid.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
People are jumping to conclusions that can't possibly be supported by a single game.

The offensive effort was much better than the 1 goal on the scoreboard indicated. Bad breaks around the goal crease. The Flyers played evenly against one of the best teams in the conference.

Eh, the Pens have a pretty average defense, but were able to shutdown (for the most part) our offense (with Fluery playing on his head). All teams have bad breaks, its the good teams that have less though.

It's not all doom and gloom, but I do worry if all we are relying on Giroux (and I guess Hartnell) for offense.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers were around the net later in the game. Early on, they were flat. Hopefully Buffalo is as flat tomorrow. I think the Flyers especially got great play from their centers.

One good team lost to another good team.

SgtJoseph*

Bingo !and well said !I also saw it as a game that could of easily gone the Flyers way...Pens won, move on.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
With Couts that game was pretty understandable... pretty sure he was matched against Pitts top line all of the time, so understandably spent a lot of time in his own zone.

The faceoff loss for the second goal was the only defensive 'lapse', (if you can call it that... a lot of luck involved) IMO he did a pretty damn good job of keeping Pitts big players quiet.

ayshplaysh

Jul 2, 2011
That 2nd PP unit is dreadful, I know one game isn't enough to base something like that off but man it looked flat today.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Thoughts on the game today:

The first period was hopefully an aberration, but this team played like that to begin a ton of games last year too. I was really hoping Lavy would have had the team more pumped up to come out. The Pens flat out dominated them the first 15 mins.

Giroux and Hartnell played well, B. Schenn should not be on the same line. I also liked what I saw out of Simmonds, Read, Laughton, Voracek (at even strength), Rinaldo, Wellwood. Couts and B. Schenn were not very impressive on that 2nd PP unit. They need a power forward on that unit badly.

The D overall was just OK, again, I got the feel of a lot of what happened last year (lots of turnovers trying to get the puck out of the D zone, slow decision making, etc) which is worrisome.

I thought Bryz had a solid game and he can't be faulted too much for either goal.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
For you people saying Couts had a bad game you have to be kidding... He was matched up against Malkin again and if you expect him to score much this season when he plays against top competition you will probably be upset. If he can play top defense again this season while chipping in offensively here and there I will be happy. He is young and his offensive game will grow in the coming seasons. Be patient...

Read/Voracek/Simmonds all played very well this game, but I would leave Schenn with Giroux for another game to see what happens. Read and Simmonds are great linemates for Laughton. Voracek, granted his offense is limited in this role, is one of our better defensive forwards and will help the puck position on that line.

On defense, I was also impressed by Mez. He had a great game especially considering that he was paired up with Foster most of the game. Foster was getting rocked. Kimmo is the perfect partner for Luke out there. Luke loves to go for that check that takes him out of position and Kimmo was always backing him up. Coburn/Grossmann are a great shut down pair and hopefully Grossmann will stay healthy throughout the season and into the playoffs.

Overall the Flyers played a solid game.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
For you people saying Couts had a bad game you have to be kidding... He was matched up against Malkin again and if you expect him to score much this season when he plays against top competition you will probably be upset. If he can play top defense again this season while chipping in offensively here and there I will be happy. He is young and his offensive game will grow in the coming seasons. Be patient...

Read/Voracek/Simmonds all played very well this game, but I would leave Schenn with Giroux for another game to see what happens. Read and Simmonds are great linemates for Laughton. Voracek, granted his offense is limited in this role, is one of our better defensive forwards and will help the puck position on that line.

On defense, I was also impressed by Mez. He had a great game especially considering that he was paired up with Foster most of the game. Foster was getting rocked. Kimmo is the perfect partner for Luke out there. Luke loves to go for that check that takes him out of position and Kimmo was always backing him up. Coburn/Grossmann are a great shut down pair and hopefully Grossmann will stay healthy throughout the season and into the playoffs.

Overall the Flyers played a solid game.

Who are you expecting to cover for Jagr and JVR's goals/points? He will have to get points, he can't just play a shutdown role. Honestly if thats all you expect from him, just throw him on the 4th line with Talbot and Feds and sign or bring someone else up to bring some offense. We can not just depend on 1 or 2 people for offense.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
2nd PP unit was awful.

Couturier and B. Schenn had below average games.

Really hoping for a W tomorrow. Hopefully they come out hard.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Who are you expecting to cover for Jagr and JVR's goals/points? He will have to get points, he can't just play a shutdown role. Honestly if thats all you expect from him, just throw him on the 4th line with Talbot and Feds and sign or bring someone else up to bring some offense. We can not just depend on 1 or 2 people for offense.

I expect his line to be out there against the other teams top line. There is no way he will put up top scoring numbers against the other teams top line. If he can (which I think he will) shut those lines down though then that will help out the team more than him scoring more goals against weaker competition. That is a huge role for any player.

Giroux/Hartnell/Read/Voracek/Simmonds/Briere can all score a lot of goals. Plus, Lavy's system is offensively friendly during the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: