Parking at Rexall

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
lol, who was the fiend that suggested the collesium in the 1st place? Talk about hate for your fellow fans. :laugh:

Oddly enough it was McDeath Cheerios.

man this thread delivers.

As to more recent comments is why would someone take a cab from downtown to Rexall. :laugh: The LRT goes exactly the same way. That's textbook bad advice.

In the age of the internet its a bit odd not to be a bit more researched about a trip. Its easy enough to do.

As mentioned people can stay at pretty much any of the hotels in downtown area which are fine. As in any city you can hit up a range of hotel/room quotes to get the kind of accommodation you want to get. As with any Hotel stay there are no end of online sources that will give anybody 100's of reviews on the same place you will be potentially staying at. Every hotel online pretty much quotes reviews as well. Both good and bad reviews.

The reality is people on a board like this will joke around and tell you to stay at the Coliseum or Transit Inn pretty much as a lark and as a sendup of people that are online, who for some reason are not checking online for valid information.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
lol, who was the fiend that suggested the collesium in the 1st place? Talk about hate for your fellow fans. :laugh:

lol i thought it was a joke that was missing the :sarcasm: smilie......then he died

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Is the Coliseum Inn really that bad now? I haven't been in there for at least 25 years so I really have no idea. Wasn't too bad back in the eighties, at least they had good strippers in the bar.:laugh:

Aug 10, 2015
In the age of the internet its a bit odd not to be a bit more researched about a trip. Its easy enough to do.

As mentioned people can stay at pretty much any of the hotels in downtown area which are fine. As in any city you can hit up a range of hotel/room quotes to get the kind of accommodation you want to get. As with any Hotel stay there are no end of online sources that will give anybody 100's of reviews on the same place you will be potentially staying at. Every hotel online pretty much quotes reviews as well. Both good and bad reviews.

The reality is people on a board like this will joke around and tell you to stay at the Coliseum or Transit Inn pretty much as a lark and as a sendup of people that are online, who for some reason are not checking online for valid information.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my question is more about getting easily to and from the arena, and thoughts on downtown versus other areas of the city. I can easily check out any hotel and see the rates myself, so that's not a big deal for me its more about getting two and from the game, and if I'm taking the "LRT" getting from the hotel to the LRT and back again. I can look on a map and see that the LRT seems to go from the south end of Edmonton to near the arena, but I would assume many of those on this board are more knowledgeable about the logistics of Edmonton than I am (and about how safe walking in downtown is...there are cities I have been in that I'm not sure I want to walk at night downtown with my wife).I could find a hotel downtown and find out it's actually 6 blocks from the LRT which might not be ideal after the game.

In short I will check information before I actually do the booking, but doesn't hurt to check with fellow hockey fans to see what they advise. This game is already costing me in the neighbourhood of $500 ($200 for 2 tickets, $200 for two nights in a hotel, $100 gas + any food and extras) so any advice that might help me enjoy the game/day that much more, or save me some money is appreciated (it also might increase my chances of convincing my wife to go to another game next year in the new arena).

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I can't speak for anyone else, but my question is more about getting easily to and from the arena, and thoughts on downtown versus other areas of the city. I can easily check out any hotel and see the rates myself, so that's not a big deal for me its more about getting two and from the game, and if I'm taking the "LRT" getting from the hotel to the LRT and back again. I can look on a map and see that the LRT seems to go from the south end of Edmonton to near the arena, but I would assume many of those on this board are more knowledgeable about the logistics of Edmonton than I am (and about how safe walking in downtown is...there are cities I have been in that I'm not sure I want to walk at night downtown with my wife).I could find a hotel downtown and find out it's actually 6 blocks from the LRT which might not be ideal after the game.

In short I will check information before I actually do the booking, but doesn't hurt to check with fellow hockey fans to see what they advise. This game is already costing me in the neighbourhood of $500 ($200 for 2 tickets, $200 for two nights in a hotel, $100 gas + any food and extras) so any advice that might help me enjoy the game/day that much more, or save me some money is appreciated (it also might increase my chances of convincing my wife to go to another game next year in the new arena).

Honestly, I would Uber (or cab) there and back. An Uber would cost $9-12 there and back and if you think about it, $3 for each of yourself and your wife to Rexall Place and back means that it's a total of $12 round trip to take the LRT.

Getting there on the LRT is fine but on the way back there's a massive crowd at the end of the game, and at that time of year you're going to be standing on that cold and windy LRT platform for a long time. All to save anywhere from $6-12 combined between the two of you? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you ask me.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Honestly, I would Uber (or cab) there and back. An Uber would cost $9-12 there and back and if you think about it, $3 for each of yourself and your wife to Rexall Place and back means that it's a total of $12 round trip to take the LRT.

Getting there on the LRT is fine but on the way back there's a massive crowd at the end of the game, and at that time of year you're going to be standing on that cold and windy LRT platform for a long time. All to save anywhere from $6-12 combined between the two of you? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you ask me.

Never waited more than 15mins to get on the LRT there. Usually get on immediately. The bigger problem is getting the crowd through the stupid bottleneck LRT entrance and down the stairs. The trains run frequently to get people moving.

Theres no friggen way a cab ride from Recall to downtown would be 9-12 roundtrip. lol. Its 12 bucks each way without any traffic load conditions which wouldn't be the case immediately after a hockey game lets out.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

In a thread filled with bad advice this post should win a prize.

The worst possible advice anybody could give an out of Towner would be to try to take a cab downtown immediately after a game. Good luck trying to flag one down first off, especially in the cold weather. When you do finally get one, have fun watching the meter tick and tick while you're stuck in the traffic jam trying to move away from Rexall.

The LRT was built for a reason and that was to move high volumes of people quickly. It does work effectively. There is no way to get downtown from Rexall any quicker under any circumstances, especially following an event.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The worst possible advice anybody could give an out of Towner would be to try to take a cab downtown immediately after a game. Good luck trying to flag one down first off, especially in the cold weather. When you do finally get one, have fun watching the meter tick and tick while you're stuck in the traffic jam trying to move away from Rexall.

The LRT was built for a reason and that was to move high volumes of people quickly. It does work effectively. There is no way to get downtown from Rexall any quicker under any circumstances, especially following an event.

Exactly. I was wondering how somebody would hail a cab there as well. Cabbies don't even like picking up drivers at Rexall due to drinking patrons. I never see them lined up there.

Why on Earth would somebody recommend a cab when the LRT station is right there.:laugh:

I guess this is an example why people shouldn't be asking for travel advice on a hockey board.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

Its actually not bad going west from rexall after games. very little traffic congestion.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Exactly. I was wondering how somebody would hail a cab there as well. Cabbies don't even like picking up drivers at Rexall due to drinking patrons. I never see them lined up there.

Why on Earth would somebody recommend a cab when the LRT station is right there.:laugh:

I guess this is an example why people shouldn't be asking for travel advice on a hockey board.

FYI- getting a cab back to hotel wasn't bad at all and it wasn't that expensive. There was a steady stream of them lining up at an exit and we waited inside until it was our turn. I chose a cab because it was well below freezing, a major snowstorm had hit two days before and I was traveling with a person who utilizes a wheelchair for mobility but can stand and transfer into a car. A bunch of other people from the same hotel also took cabs so I guess if you're from out of town and trying to push a wheelchair through deep snow or not familiar with the LTR it makes sense. At least it did to a large group of us that particular evening.

oiler-dude

Not the worst suggestion, though. Cabs can be surprisingly cheap in short distances, if I cab from Rexall to my home just across the river, I've been able to do it for $12. Not return, but one way. If you've got 4 people LRTing both ways, you're looking at $25 in tickets, so you're not saving money. At that point, not being stuffed into the LRT like a sardines in a can starts sounding alright. :naughty:

Some people straight up just do not like public transit, so even if it's the easier and cheaper option, they just don't like to. My former boss was like that, he'd rather spend $25 to park, and wait an hour to get out of the lot, than hit up the LRT with his kid. Guess it just isn't for everyone. I swear by LRT to and from games, easy and cheap for me!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
FYI- getting a cab back to hotel wasn't bad at all and it wasn't that expensive. There was a steady stream of them lining up at an exit and we waited inside until it was our turn. I chose a cab because it was well below freezing, a major snowstorm had hit two days before and I was traveling with a person who utilizes a wheelchair for mobility but can stand and transfer into a car. A bunch of other people from the same hotel also took cabs so I guess if you're from out of town and trying to push a wheelchair through deep snow or not familiar with the LTR it makes sense. At least it did to a large group of us that particular evening.

Obviously for mobility issues it would be easier. That said Rexall is hells kitchen to begin with for people with mobility issues. :(

But from a civic minded pov for normal, mobile people to not be using LRT, and not advising its use runs counter to provision of such services and becomes why we can't have nice things..

Same as people who INSIST on driving the exact same route to football games than the FREE park and ride services. Ironically creating traffic jams for the sensible and considerate people that are using public mass transit to get to MASS public events.

This is a message of use public transit when its just as convenient, or more convenient, that should be advocated and furthered.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not the worst suggestion, though. Cabs can be surprisingly cheap in short distances, if I cab from Rexall to my home just across the river, I've been able to do it for $12. Not return, but one way. If you've got 4 people LRTing both ways, you're looking at $25 in tickets, so you're not saving money. At that point, not being stuffed into the LRT like a sardines in a can starts sounding alright. :naughty:

Some people straight up just do not like public transit, so even if it's the easier and cheaper option, they just don't like to. My former boss was like that, he'd rather spend $25 to park, and wait an hour to get out of the lot, than hit up the LRT with his kid. Guess it just isn't for everyone. I swear by LRT to and from games, easy and cheap for me!

Some people don't like public anything. I'd have limited patience for someone like that.

I could see it if a person was a celebrity and public exposure can be dangerous but for the average person, and parent, to be socializing their kids to NOT use public transit. Man, societally we got some learning to do. Theres a period in the not too distant future where private transportation won't even be an option economically or environmentally.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005

Walk across the street and get an Uber and you're done. Doesn't seem that hard to me. I'd rather do that than be herded through the LRT station at a snail's pace while the trains take forever.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Walk across the street and get an Uber and you're done. Doesn't seem that hard to me. I'd rather do that than be herded through the LRT station at a snail's pace while the trains take forever.

more bad advice you do realize that Uber drivers are still not officially licensed here, in most cases do not have adequate liability insurance, and are operating in contempt of the COE jurisdiction at present.

Try obtaining damages if that improperly trained (ie no training) and non commercial insured and non commercial licenced driver gets into an accident. Which on days like this could easily happen.

The trains don't take "forever' they run frequently on game days before and after the game. Its also the safest way to travel in inclement weather.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
more bad advice you do realize that Uber drivers are still not officially licensed here, in most cases do not have adequate liability insurance, and are operating in contempt of the COE jurisdiction at present.

Try obtaining damages if that improperly trained (ie no training) and non commercial insured and non commercial licenced driver gets into an accident. Which on days like this could easily happen.

The trains don't take "forever' they run frequently on game days before and after the game. Its also the safest way to travel in inclement weather.

The LRT wasn't even working after the game last Wednesday. Now who's giving the bad advice?

I'm also not going to turn this into a thread about Uber. Pretty sure the poster who asked the question knows what it is and can decide whether to use it or not.

Some people do in fact like it and use it. I'll leave it at that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree.
Its been a while since I took the LRT to a game. I dont necessarily have an issue with public transportation per say although being herded around and packed in like a sardine after games is not really my thing at all.

Also the setup is brutal...standing on a freezing cold platform for 10 - 15 minutes waiting for a train because the previous one was stuffed to the gills. Brutal.

There was one particular time (a few years ago) when I was standing there freezing (-27 with a strong wind blowing right into the platform) and I noticed a couple of suits standing about 10 feet away from me. Turns out it was the Sportsnet boys...Kevin Quinn and Ray Ferarro. They didnt look happy at all.
Quinn was grumbling to Ray about how fricken cold it was and that he couldn't wait for the upcoming road trip. :laugh:

Seriously...who builds an completely wide open LRT platform with crappy ineffective heaters in a climate similar to Hoth?
What a gawd awful design. A wind block at the end of the platform would have been a novel idea.
In any event I would much rather take a cab or park a few blocks away and walk than stand there and wait for a train.
/end rant.

Mctryoshka Rebuild

Apr 11, 2012
I agree.
Its been a while since I took the LRT to a game. I dont necessarily have an issue with public transportation per say although being herded around and packed in like a sardine after games is not really my thing at all.

Also the setup is brutal...standing on a freezing cold platform for 10 - 15 minutes waiting for a train because the previous one was stuffed to the gills. Brutal.

There was one particular time (a few years ago) when I was standing there freezing (-27 with a strong wind blowing right into the platform) and I noticed a couple of suits standing about 10 feet away from me. Turns out it was the Sportsnet boys...Kevin Quinn and Ray Ferarro. They didnt look happy at all.
Quinn was grumbling to Ray about how fricken cold it was and that he couldn't wait for the upcoming road trip. :laugh:

Seriously...who builds an completely wide open LRT platform with crappy ineffective heaters in a climate similar to Hoth?
What a gawd awful design. A wind block at the end of the platform would have been a novel idea.

In any event I would much rather take a cab or park a few blocks away and walk than stand there and wait for a train.
/end rant.

Or a dead Tauntaun at the very least.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Any event at Rexall when it's not cold I take the LRT. Once it gets cold I drive to Rexall. They have poor LRT planning for games and if you miss a train it's not unheard of to be waiting 10-15 minutes for the next one. Why stand in the freezin cold when you can be sitting in a warm car. Depending where you park and which way you're headed you can practically avoid any traffic congestion.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
A lot depends on how much you can tolerate or not tolerate the lrt ride which is not long. Most of the time it is fine but the odd time after sporting events it can be a crush and you can be stuck with the 6 18 year olds that are drunk out of their skulls.

If a person has the cash and doesn't want to be sandwiched with some potential door knobs or people coughing all over you nothing wrong with a cab.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Ironically that guy who stayed at the Colisseum Inn hasn't posted on this thread since then.

At least you wouldn't have to get smothered waiting for the LRT after. Pros and cons to each I guess.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The LRT wasn't even working after the game last Wednesday. Now who's giving the bad advice?

I'm also not going to turn this into a thread about Uber. Pretty sure the poster who asked the question knows what it is and can decide whether to use it or not.

Some people do in fact like it and use it. I'll leave it at that.

Uber is still ILLEGAL in this jurisdiction. Its drivers are NOT licenced commercially to transport people, are not authorized with civic licence, they are not commercially insured to carry people. Most people are not aware of this. Certainly visitors would not be aware that if an Uber driver gets into an accident they have no way of recoupling personal damages, injury, even death. its responsible to let visitors know this. Yeah some people like uber. Some people think nothing bad ever happens. Some people don't have house insurance, car insurance, etc. Doesn't mean its a recommended or responsible course of action or thing to advise.

The LRT wasn't working on this route for one game. An oddity. Big deal. This in your mind translates to it being "bad advice" recommending that somebody use rapid transit in a city? C'mon, be reasonable.

I'll say it again. Cities around the world setup public transit to their stadia/arena to expedite people in an out of the area. This is the most efficient way to deliver people to and from stadiums anywhere in the world. its also the most responsible, environmentally friendly option available and is the recommended mode in any urban environment to move masses of people in a short time.

However, contrary to world infrastructure and mass transit modes people in this thread recommend cabs, uber, rent a car, its sad.

Its the 21st century. Which involves a notion of REDUCING carbon footprint, using public transit when available, and furthering such use. If everybody going to a game was irresponsible enough to only use vehicular transit there'd be a traffic jam for an hour going each way. At Commonwealth would be even worse.

Finally taking public transit when visiting a city allows the person to relax, not have to drive in an unfamiliar road system, not have to use way finding, and is more conducive to exploring a city and its main areas and places to see. Most travellers in the world avail themselves to learning about the public transit options in a city/region. It also allows a person to ride side by side with local people and enjoy interacting with people in that city/region/country.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Also, the Capital Line LRT runs at high frequency on event days. Typically around every 5 mins theres a train coming in either direction. Fiction of people waiting 15mins notwithstanding. I've never waited on that pedway as much as even 10mins.

In anycase the LRT gets people to destinations as fast as if you drove the distance and for a lot less cost. Rexall to Century Park Terminus for example would be around 40 bucks for a cab ride. One way.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Any event at Rexall when it's not cold I take the LRT. Once it gets cold I drive to Rexall. They have poor LRT planning for games and if you miss a train it's not unheard of to be waiting 10-15 minutes for the next one. Why stand in the freezin cold when you can be sitting in a warm car. Depending where you park and which way you're headed you can practically avoid any traffic congestion.

Ever since the LRT opened up on the south side, i find it easier to take it to an event at rexall, park n ride and dont have to worry about driving all the way to north side in the cold winter weather. Granted the century park station you can wait inside for the train and the one at Rexall it is all outdoors. factoring in the gas, and paid parking at rexall its a lot cheaper to take public transportation to rexall for 1 or 2 people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad