Parker Kelly suspended 2 games for hit on Andreas Englund

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
It's clear Kelly had no intent to hit his head, as immediately he was apologetic but Englund was already fired up from the night and ragdolled Kelly there, 😂

Not sure that warrants a dops call, but sure, whatever.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
It's clear Kelly had no intent to hit his head, as immediately he was apologetic but Englund was already fired up from the night and ragdolled Kelly there, 😂

Not sure how you know what his intent was.

If the nhl is serious about preventing headshots then intent is irrelevant. You do it..you get penalised accordingly

I wish a two pronged approach would happen.

1. League penalise the guy who delivers the hit to the head.

2. Player that gets the obvious headshot (and is well enough to do it) gets up and knocks out the guy who delivered the hit. Give him the same amount of time to protect himself as the dirty hit guy gave the guy who got the shoulder to the head. Zero. Drop a glove and knock him out.

Then suspend both equally.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's about a clean a headshot as you're going to see.

I think if Englund laid on the ice it would have got a lot more media attention.

Yup unfortunately Englund doesn't even have a single braincell so it didn't even stun him

Any actual human would be flattened out and it would be a likely major instead of a caveman grunt, captain insano body slam, and matching minors

Reactions: Dionysus

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Looked like Kelly mis timed his hit and caught him clean in the head as a result. Worthy of a suspension for sure.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

not sure i could disagree any more

he altered his direction while gliding in to ensure he caught nothing but head and exploded upwards into it to boot

i'll give you that it looked like he was trying to talk to englund immediately but socking someone in the face then apologizing rings pretty hollow

"onus is on the hitter" etc etc that's easily a game or two

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The game was better off when the players policed each other instead of waiting for a hearing. Good on Englund for standing up for himself instead of milking it for a powerplay.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I've lost interest in watching my teams games this season, so I'm behind on this one, but reading the Thread I had a really hard time picturing Kelly crushing Englund, that went how I figured it should have went. Defintely Suspendable.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
1000013552.gif

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
2 games seems reasonable to me. The head contact was not as forceful as other illegal check to the head suspensions we’ve seen, but Kelly did clearly mess up his approach angle and hit nearly all head.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As a Sens fan, I'll freely admit that this was a direct head shot, and I understand all the reasons why they want to get this out of the game. If the standard on this kind of hit is now two games, fair enough. What I will be curious to see, though, is what happens when it is a star player whose team is in a playoff chase as opposed to a fourth liner on a losing small market Canadian team. Hitting Parker Kelly for two games was like shooting fish in a barrel - let's see if they maintain this standard going forward. I'm not holding my breath...

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Englund DOES have a lot of head to hit tbh.
But he has a massive amount of legal body to hit and Kelly didn't leap into any of it.

They were both fortunate that Englund's skull appears to be made out of concrete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad