Weekes: Panthers working on extensions for Montour and Forsling

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I guess I am more surprised? I didn't think he had the offensive output to get into that level of $$,

I figured 4-6 years around $4.5M range

Let's see what the next contract is now, I am really curious.

He plays like 25+ minutes a night, he’s like in the top 15 in the league in usage the last year+. Zero chance he comes in that low.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He plays like 25+ minutes a night, he’s like in the top 15 in the league in usage the last year+. Zero chance he comes in that low.
I think the TOI this year is just circumstantial with Montour and Ekblad being out

Previously he was 23:26 and 21:13 TOI on average

23 mins a night isn't nothing either, he's a nice player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the TOI this year is just circumstantial with Montour and Ekblad being out

I'd have said the same about Severson in the off-season and look at what he got. Who knows with UFAs these days.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd have said the same about Severson in the off-season and look at what he got. Who knows with UFAs these days.

I mean I forgot about Severson entirely and I know CBJ isn't exactly a hot spot...

Florida with taxes etc and Forsling having been waived / bounced around may want term + NTC type stuff could maybe get the AAV down but could also get that 6.25M for all I know

I totally can see other's points and kinda just explained what I had thought going in but I am legitimately curious to see how the next contract goes.

I think we all see "So and so making progress on a new contract" and think we know how it might look when it's announced and sometimes you're right and sometimes you're nowhere close lol.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Yeah for sure some of these big minute nights are out of necessity but you’re right, 23 minutes is still basically first pairing ice time and a lot of it has to do with the Panthers choosing to divert ice time from Ekblad whose never been quite the same and giving those heavier minutes to these two.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah for sure some of these big minute nights are out of necessity but you’re right, 23 minutes is still basically first pairing ice time and a lot of it has to do with the Panthers choosing to divert ice time from Ekblad whose never been quite the same and giving those heavier minutes to these two.

I'm actually wondering if Florida chooses to move Ekblad sometime this year or summer. They seem really open to changing things up as seen with that Tkachuk trade and if Forsling/Montour cash in big, they might want to do something else with that 7.5M, maybe try to keep Reinhart.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Montour is the real deal. He'll get Toews money. First time ever he got PP1 time on the Panthers and immediately his production went of the charts.

Forsling is interesting, super impressive defensively but doesn't have that much offensive punch. Could see him getting something around 6.5 for eight years.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ekblads next contract is going to be an anchor

Smart would be to keep Montour+ Forsling and trade Ekblad for assets. The prospect/asset pool is empty

Who would take on Ekblad this year / this summer?

Seattle
Toronto (maybe if the cost was right)
Buffalo (they have cap for 1 year of this)
Stars (maybe if the cost was right)
Blackhawks (they'll have cap space)

Off chance Vancouver

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Who would take on Ekblad this year / this summer?

Seattle
Toronto (maybe if the cost was right)
Buffalo (they have cap for 1 year of this)
Stars (maybe if the cost was right)
Blackhawks (they'll have cap space)

Off chance Vancouver
If they reach the TDL and they still seem decently competitive—I do think Vancouver will seek another Hronek-like trade to add another top-three defenseman. Especially for 1-2 years commitment. I’m not sure Ekblad’s injury/risk profile would suit management though.

It would be right-up Jim Benning’s alley. The 2023-hybrid of the Gudbranson-trade and OEL-trade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If they reach the TDL and they still seem decently competitive—I do think Vancouver will seek another Hronek-like trade to add another top-three defenseman. Especially for 1-2 years commitment. I’m not sure Ekblad’s injury/risk profile would suit management though.

It would be right-up Jim Benning’s alley. The 2023-hybrid of the Gudbranson-trade and OEL-trade.

Would Florida do Ekblad for Myers (only owed 1M real salary and expires this year) as a base? I'm sure Vancouver needs to add something else but I am not a Canucks fan.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Do you take your garbage to other people and then ask "is this ok'? No, it's not f***ing ok.

You're getting way too mad lol and clearly can't read that I said Vancouver needs to add something.

There aren't a lot of teams that can fit Ekblad's 7.5M and he's injury prone AF.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I swear to god, everyone in this league is 29 or 30 yo.

I can't remember the last time I looked someone up and was like "Oh wow, they're 23. Cool!" It's always 29, 30, or 31 yo.
one guy that blew my mind on detroit

Rasmussen. He's 24 and I could have sworn he was up there around 28-30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad